White running shoe crowd.

newts.travel

1 hour ago, yorky said:

In a different way, Venice has real problems with damage to buildings as well as overcrowding, the Caribbean islands have changed in order to incorporate cruise ships and lost a lot because of it.

Did they lose many vacationers?

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Thank GAWD the last pair of sneakers I bought were dark blue...…..

I went shopping today and found a great pair of white running shoes, but then I realized all those Venetians would be laughing at me, so I bought a pair of black ones.

This way, they will think I’m a local......until they look at my pants, then my shirt, then my hat, then I open my mouth and say one word.  Oh well. 

Den20587D9A-3149-4860-98A9-50E3177A4395.thumb.jpeg.d82b2982bc9655b26c8a630a55b00c8e.jpeg6

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This sounds like the latest version of the “ugly American” term from the late 1900’s. The image that many foreigners had, of Americans visiting their country, was of a man wearing a loudly patterned Hawaiian style shirt, baggy faded jeans, athletic shoes, and a camera around his neck. The version of women was that of pastel track suits, too much make up, and, again, athletic shoes. Also Americans were generally considered rude and too loud. Did this description apply to all American tourists, probably not. But that was, in Europe, the widely held image. Unfortunately, perception is everything. 

4 hours ago, SFLcowboy78 said:

speaking of that hotel... there are some really good restaurants right around there. Have you tried southport raw bar or the 15th street fisheries? 

I've never tried those places, I'm not really a seafood guy.  

On 6/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, Lady Arwen said:

I believe it's a derogatory term for "old people".  However, since white runners have become very popular and stylish again (all over Europe this spring), this term just is not even relevant.

It isn't derogatory for "Old people,"  it is derogatory for North American Tourists in general.

2 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

It isn't derogatory for "Old people,"  it is derogatory for North American Tourists in general.

Thanks, I've never heard that expression before, although I knew it was derogatory. 

On 6/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, ECCruise said:

My guess is that the "white running shoe crowd" is that is the easiest way to identify a North American tourist.  Literally nowhere else in the world are they worn except in a gym or tennis court.

Edited by Mynki