Possible to get 2 sail aways on the same deck?

Wedgie23

I have a feeling I know the answer to this already but figure it couldn't hurt to ask. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip for myself, my husband and a first cruise for my parents. I've been looking at multiple lines but I have a familiarity with NCL and if I'm taking them I'd rather stick with what I know but for them I know I need to avoid a congested mega ships. Currently I'm pricing things out on the Gem. 

My parents don't drink, my husband and I don't drink much. Price for 2 balcony sail away cabins come to about $1,800 less than 2 BD cabins with perks we don't use enough to justify. Is it possible to get two sail away cabins on the same deck? They don't need to be next to each other or even close to each other and I really couldn't care less about obstructions. I just have a feeling my parents would feel more comfortable knowing we were close by. If it isn't do you think on a smaller ship like the Gem being that close really matters like it would on Escape? And in your opinion, would being on the same deck as your travel companions be worth that much to you?

I've investigated the 2 bedroom suits, the non Haven is 2K more than 2 balconies would be and the Haven one is 5K more. Given that my husband and I would be in the small dark second room I just don't see the appeal of paying 2K more to sleep in what looks like a closet or 5K more for a butler to bring M&Ms to my closet or even the fabled zitti. Perhaps there is something more there that I am missing. Can anyone tell me what their experience was staying in one of the 2 bedrooms with 4 adults? Of course the 3 bedroom villa is much nicer but that is beyond what I'm willing to spend even for it's perfection. 

Also if I were to book us all in the same 2 bedroom, as there is no sail away for suites I would choose the drink and dining package. However does this only apply to persons 1-2 in a room, meaning taking my parents with us would cost us extra? Second for the drink package I've heard every adult in the room needs to have one so I would need to purchase my parents a $1,650 drink package they will not use in order for me to have one, even if I booked the more expensive Haven for 4?

Thank you for any info or ideas you can share with me.

I don't know about haven but I've done Lotsa sailaway with family and friends and although they won't guarantee anything I always ask to have reservations linked. The rooms have ALWAYS been very close to one another if not next to each other. 

I believe bottom line it's in the interest of the company to have friends and family nearby rather than scattered about ship.

DH and I just booked a sail away balcony for the first time on the Sun about six weeks from now.  Two other couples booked sail away OV and are on the same deck as us.  We all booked the same day.  Another couple joining us booked the next day sail away OV and are one deck higher.  Hard to tell how that category would work out for you.  Good luck.

No. All you can assure with a Sailaway is the lowest category you'll be assigned to. Within that category (or higher) you can be in any stateroom on any deck in any location, and you have zero control over it whatsoever. You could wind up in adjoining rooms...you could be 5 decks apart. 

Cabin assignments in the GTY/SailAway category are entirely random.  We did a Xmas cruise about 8 years ago when we booked two GTY/SailAway Inside cabins, one for us & another for the kids; they were on two different decks.  We asked our PCC when we booked & he explained that once you specify that you're booking a GTY/SailAway rate the cabin assignment gets grayed out of the computer menu for whomever is processing the order.  Same deal when you make your reservation through the 800 number.  You are welcome to REQUEST the same deck for these cabins & whomever you're talking to WILL put that in the "Comments" section of your reservation.  However, again, there's no guarantee.

All this said I do hope you get the cabins you want!  Consider also you may be on the same deck but one cabin is all the way FWD & the other is all the way AFT!  You might be actually closer on adjacent decks if you're near the stairs/elevators in the same section. 

Thank you every one for your replies and sharing your experiences with me. I am trying to wrap my head around paying that much more just to ensure were on the same deck but my parents have never gone anywhere which would make them nervous travelers. If I think they would feel more at ease knowing I am either with them or right down the hall I guess it's worth it. 

I'm still torn about 2 balconies or the 2 bed room either Haven or regular suite which is a nice option Gem provides. Regular 2 bedroom is $834 more than 2 regular balconies, the haven version 3.1K. Even with Haven perks I just don't see 2 adults being comfortable in the tiny second room but I do see how it would be nice to have a table large enough for the 4 of us to have in room breakfast or sit and decide what to do that day.  But having 1 state room means additional charges for passengers 3-4 in specialty dining when passengers 1-2 use the perks. Separate balconies would give the same perks to everyone. 

If booking Haven do all passengers receive specialty perks such as dining/drinks or still just 1-2? Those who have stayed in the 2 bedroom, do you think 2 adults would be comfortable sleeping in the small room?

3 hours ago, Wedgie23 said:

Thank you every one for your replies and sharing your experiences with me. I am trying to wrap my head around paying that much more just to ensure were on the same deck but my parents have never gone anywhere which would make them nervous travelers. If I think they would feel more at ease knowing I am either with them or right down the hall I guess it's worth it. 

I'm still torn about 2 balconies or the 2 bed room either Haven or regular suite which is a nice option Gem provides. Regular 2 bedroom is $834 more than 2 regular balconies, the haven version 3.1K. Even with Haven perks I just don't see 2 adults being comfortable in the tiny second room but I do see how it would be nice to have a table large enough for the 4 of us to have in room breakfast or sit and decide what to do that day.  But having 1 state room means additional charges for passengers 3-4 in specialty dining when passengers 1-2 use the perks. Separate balconies would give the same perks to everyone. 

If booking Haven do all passengers receive specialty perks such as dining/drinks or still just 1-2? Those who have stayed in the 2 bedroom, do you think 2 adults would be comfortable sleeping in the small room?

2 adults will not be comfortable in that small room, unless they are very small people! I had that room on a 2-bedroom on the Dawn and the bed was very small and uncomfortable. I asked for an egg crate to put on the top of it which helped a little, but it made the bed even smaller. I think you will be much more comfortable with 2 balconies. And no, specialty perks are only for the first 2 in the cabin; you would have to purchase them separately for passengers 3-4.

Do your parents speak and understand English? If so, I think they can figure it out. Maybe each of you guys get the NCL app and pay the $10 per device so they can reach you easily if you happen to be assigned very different decks.

The Amazon jungle is not a good place for the nervous traveler.  The cocoon of an NCL cruise is a comfortable place even for people who rarely leave their house.  Their biggest worry might be whether to dine at 6:30 or 7:00. 

On 6/28/2019 at 5:57 AM, KateQ22003 said:

2 adults will not be comfortable in that small room, unless they are very small people! I had that room on a 2-bedroom on the Dawn and the bed was very small and uncomfortable. I asked for an egg crate to put on the top of it which helped a little, but it made the bed even smaller. I think you will be much more comfortable with 2 balconies. And no, specialty perks are only for the first 2 in the cabin; you would have to purchase them separately for passengers 3-4.

Thank you very much for letting me know your personal experience in that room. It looked very small and seeing pictures someone posted of the bed once it was set up looked like it was rather short but hard to judge, it certainly doesn't seem that it's worth paying more to stay there. 

Thank you all, it seems the best option would be 2 balconies. 

On 6/27/2019 at 5:55 AM, Wedgie23 said:

I have a feeling I know the answer to this already but figure it couldn't hurt to ask. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip for myself, my husband and a first cruise for my parents. I've been looking at multiple lines but I have a familiarity with NCL and if I'm taking them I'd rather stick with what I know but for them I know I need to avoid a congested mega ships. Currently I'm pricing things out on the Gem. 

My parents don't drink, my husband and I don't drink much. Price for 2 balcony sail away cabins come to about $1,800 less than 2 BD cabins with perks we don't use enough to justify. Is it possible to get two sail away cabins on the same deck? They don't need to be next to each other or even close to each other and I really couldn't care less about obstructions. I just have a feeling my parents would feel more comfortable knowing we were close by. If it isn't do you think on a smaller ship like the Gem being that close really matters like it would on Escape? And in your opinion, would being on the same deck as your travel companions be worth that much to you?

I've investigated the 2 bedroom suits, the non Haven is 2K more than 2 balconies would be and the Haven one is 5K more. Given that my husband and I would be in the small dark second room I just don't see the appeal of paying 2K more to sleep in what looks like a closet or 5K more for a butler to bring M&Ms to my closet or even the fabled zitti. Perhaps there is something more there that I am missing. Can anyone tell me what their experience was staying in one of the 2 bedrooms with 4 adults? Of course the 3 bedroom villa is much nicer but that is beyond what I'm willing to spend even for it's perfection. 

Also if I were to book us all in the same 2 bedroom, as there is no sail away for suites I would choose the drink and dining package. However does this only apply to persons 1-2 in a room, meaning taking my parents with us would cost us extra? Second for the drink package I've heard every adult in the room needs to have one so I would need to purchase my parents a $1,650 drink package they will not use in order for me to have one, even if I booked the more expensive Haven for 4?

Thank you for any info or ideas you can share with me.

Anything is possible with sailaways, they might be on the same deck, or even deck to each other, but it is just as likely that one is on the lowest available balcony deck and the other on the highest. Just remember that nothing is really that far apart.