Help for New Orleans NCL cruise

pdrcruiser

We are going on the NCL Getaway in December out of New Orleans. Need help planning where to stay a few nights before, would prefer leaving the car at the hotel and taking a uber to the port. Does anyone know a hotel that would include parking for free or a reasonable price? Also does anyone know how much the parking is at the cruise port? Thanks.

We fly in and stay at Harrah's hotel.  From there we can walk over to the port to board and there are several other nice hotels in that area.  You can find lots of good hotel information at the CruiseCritic Gulf Coast forum and I have seen parking info there too.

Here is a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Edited by Sand and Seas

We stayed at the Hilton Riverside (which is across the street from Harrahs). You can see the ship just down the river from the hotel. And there is a tiny mall there withe a Cafe Du Monde. It is right on the street car line and an easy walk into the French Quarter. 

For the most part, hotels in or near the French Quarter will not have free or low cost parking. You may find some in the Garden District or Uptown. There are quite a few in Metairie that will let you leave your car there while you cruise.

Tiny mall?  It seems quite large to me.

We parked in the "Whale Lot" right next to the cruise port on our last cruise out of NOLA and I think it was $140 for the week.  I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't right.  If you decide to park there, make sure you go in from the rear of the lot and not directly off Convention Center Blvd.  We went in the wrong way and it would have cost us about $400 for the week if I hadn't noticed a sign.

We stayed at the Marriott across from the Convention Center. It is an easy walk to

the port. We didn't have a car but the money you save not having to take an Uber

or cab to and from a hotel will offset any parking garage charges.

We love cruising out of NOLA.   Very easy to get around and see some sights using the inexpensive streetcar system.     

If you are able to stay close to the port/convention center it is very easy with rolling suitcases to walk over to the port.  We walk right through the 'Whale' parking lot on our way to the port and you will find the porters at the back corner of that lot accepting your bags for the ship.     Then it's just across the streetcar tracks and a narrow road (one way traffic) and you are walking into the port building.     There is usually a police officer there directing traffic and we have found it a very safe and easy walk over.

4 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Tiny mall?  It seems quite large to me.

We parked in the "Whale Lot" right next to the cruise port on our last cruise out of NOLA and I think it was $140 for the week.  I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't right.  If you decide to park there, make sure you go in from the rear of the lot and not directly off Convention Center Blvd.  We went in the wrong way and it would have cost us about $400 for the week if I hadn't noticed a sign.

How do you find the rear entrance?

4 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We stayed at the Marriott across from the Convention Center. It is an easy walk to

the port. We didn't have a car but the money you save not having to take an Uber

or cab to and from a hotel will offset any parking garage charges.

Depends. In the hotels I've stayed at charged $35 or more per night for parking. It was $30 for an uber from the airport to Canal & Royal. So if they found a hotel closer than the airport with free parking and rates cheaper than those walking distance to the port they might save money. 

12 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

the port. 

We also did this last Jan. Marriott had a parking special for cruisers. We used points for the hotel and cash for the parking. It is valet parking. We thought it was a great deal. The port is a zoo so walking is faster than even taking a short cab ride.

The Hampton Inn by the Convention Center has a cruise package that included parking and was a good deal for this upcoming December. We've stayed there and walked to the port. We've also stayed at a SpringHill Suites nearby that was very easy to walk from. 

There is a "street" or maybe you'd call it an alley that runs along the railroad tracks between the parking lot and the Outlet Mall.  You may have to start driving on it quite a ways from the actual lot, past the back of the convention center and the cruise port buildings.  I don't think you can drive on Julia Street.

We've stayed at the Prytania Park hotel several times and they offer 7 nights cruise parking if you stay two or more nights.  They do not offer anything for longer cruises.  Last year we ended up parking Fulton St lot and taking their shuttle to the port.  I think it was about $135 for eleven days parking.  We did pre-pay it online ahead of time.