How Full?

hawkeye65

5 minutes ago, hawkeye65 said:

Is there a way to figure our from the HAL website how many cabins are bk'd for a particular cruise?

Not really since there is no accounting for how many guarantees there are.

If you are on your roll call and a lot of people have guarantees it may give you an indication.

The booked cabins show but the guarantees don’t.

My best example - a Prinsendam cruise where there were 100+ cabins showing available (that ship only holds 840 +/- passengers).  

And bang!  Long before final payment it was sold out.  It was only one cabin away from being sold out but those guarantees which don’t have cabins assigned could mislead you easily.  Anyone waiting for a last minute deal on that sailing was out of luck 😉 

No. Assume the ship is full, or so close you can't tell the difference. That is usually the situation.

What kazu is trying to explain is the difference between "booked" and "assigned" cabins. Guarantee cabin bookings aren't assigned until the last 10-15 days. So you could have 14 of 15 available cabins in a given category booked as guarantees, but not assigned, so you would see 15 available cabins. But as soon as you book and select a particular cabin in that category, that category suddenly is full, even if all cabins aren't assigned. 

It's pretty closely guarded information. And with HAL you can't even go by what is showing on the website, as they purposely do not show all the available cabins. To the point of mindless deception.

For example, I just booked two connecting cabins on a 21-day cruise on the N.Statendam. This cruise also sells as a 10-day and an 11-day. Looking at the separate cruises I found the cabins I wanted, available on both legs, just aft of the mid-ship elevators. But when I looked at the 21-day availability, the only Deck 4 Obstructed Verandahs were at the very front of "mid", there were only four of them in that section, and there were not even two connecting nor even adjoining rooms! Looking at that you would think the ship was getting close to selling out. Yet the individual cruises had banks of Obstructed Verandahs nice and close to the elevator.

Fortunately, I did that ground work and was able to call my PCC who called "inventory" and sure enough, got me my cabins.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:28 AM, crystalspin said:

It's pretty closely guarded information. And with HAL you can't even go by what is showing on the website, as they purposely do not show all the available cabins. To the point of mindless deception.

For example, I just booked two connecting cabins on a 21-day cruise on the N.Statendam. This cruise also sells as a 10-day and an 11-day. Looking at the separate cruises I found the cabins I wanted, available on both legs, just aft of the mid-ship elevators. But when I looked at the 21-day availability, the only Deck 4 Obstructed Verandahs were at the very front of "mid", there were only four of them in that section, and there were not even two connecting nor even adjoining rooms! Looking at that you would think the ship was getting close to selling out. Yet the individual cruises had banks of Obstructed Verandahs nice and close to the elevator.

That is not hiding the available cabins. When a cruise is sold multiple ways, then cabins are assigned to each way the cruise is being sold and will not show as available on the other ways.

I was once on a (not HAL) cruise that was sold at least four ways. That can really limit the number of cabins available in each way of selling.