M27 open

kruzseeka

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Fortunately they have been finishing early, so fingers crossed.

Apparently the workers are being paid for the whole weekend, regardless of when they finish. What a great incentive to get done quickly.

Andy

It sounds to me like a bad case of estimating.

58 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It sounds to me like a bad case of estimating.

They do it a lot down here John. Under promising and over achieving.

I am sure it is a strategy, gives them a bit of leeway if things go wrong.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, AndyMichelle said:

I think coming in from the North down the M3 was an issue, but once in town, it was busy but not too bad.

I bet your friends are pleased, so glad for them.

Andy

I had problems on June 29th for my Indy of the Seas cruise. I hit the M3 at 9:30am and it soon became a traffic jam with us just inching forward very slowly. I wanted to get off the M3 at Junction 14 but it was closed so had to continue on. I had to rely on the diversion signs and my SatNav that I only have a little faith in. Although I was not worried about missing the ship I was a nervous wreck by the time I got to the port car park as the stop-start traffic and not knowing where I was or being 100% convinced I was going in the right direction was stressful.

Now I find the next closure is the weekend of my Ventura cruise which returns to Southampton on Sunday October 20th. 

We dock at Ocean Terminal and I am already stressing how to get out of Southampton!

I have looked at Google Maps but cannot see an obvious alternative route. As a couple of you appear to be local to Southampton can you point in the right direction? My normal route is Bassett Avenue to Chilworth roundabout to get on the M3 (London/West Midlands bound), getting off at junction 9 for the A34. Chilworth roundabout will presumably be closed for the exit I want but I think may still be open to local places like Chilworth/North Baddesley so I am not sure whether taking that route will eventually lead me to be able to get on the M3 higher up or whether I should be looking at a totally different way??

1 hour ago, smokey01 said:

I had problems on June 29th for my Indy of the Seas cruise. I hit the M3 at 9:30am and it soon became a traffic jam with us just inching forward very slowly. I wanted to get off the M3 at Junction 14 but it was closed so had to continue on. I had to rely on the diversion signs and my SatNav that I only have a little faith in. Although I was not worried about missing the ship I was a nervous wreck by the time I got to the port car park as the stop-start traffic and not knowing where I was or being 100% convinced I was going in the right direction was stressful.

Now I find the next closure is the weekend of my Ventura cruise which returns to Southampton on Sunday October 20th. 

We dock at Ocean Terminal and I am already stressing how to get out of Southampton!

I have looked at Google Maps but cannot see an obvious alternative route. As a couple of you appear to be local to Southampton can you point in the right direction? My normal route is Bassett Avenue to Chilworth roundabout to get on the M3 (London/West Midlands bound), getting off at junction 9 for the A34. Chilworth roundabout will presumably be closed for the exit I want but I think may still be open to local places like Chilworth/North Baddesley so I am not sure whether taking that route will eventually lead me to be able to get on the M3 higher up or whether I should be looking at a totally different way??

Where did you find info on the next closures ?  We are due to go on Aurora 3rd November and would like to keep an eye on the situation. Thnx.

6 hours ago, smokey01 said:

Head east from the docks towards Hedge End, either crossing Northam bridge or Itchen bridge. Join the M27 at Hedge End and head West towards Eastleigh. Go past the Eastleigh turn off then join the M3 northbound and you are back on track within about 1/2 hour.

The official diversions are poor, so not wise to follow them.

The last 2 closures have finished early, so you might be ok.

Good luck and please ask if you have any questions.

Where are you coming from?

Andy

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Andy, is the Redbridge m271 roundabout roadworks causing any significant problem getting onto the A35 to get to the dock gates? We will be sailing on Indy leaving 27th July coming from Holiday Inn Express on M271.

Hi John,

These roadworks have been on and off for quite a long time and the diversions are good and not causing too many issues, unlike the M27 closures...

There is a fairly direct route to the docks from your hotel that avoids the roundabout that will only take about 15/20 mins.

The Walnut Tree Farm next door serves nice food and massive eclairs....

Have a great time,

Andy

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Head east from the docks towards Hedge End, either crossing Northam bridge or Itchen bridge. Join the M27 at Hedge End and head West towards Eastleigh. Go past the Eastleigh turn off then join the M3 northbound and you are back on track within about 1/2 hour.

The official diversions are poor, so not wise to follow them.

The last 2 closures have finished early, so you might be ok.

Good luck and please ask if you have any questions.

Where are you coming from?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for this , I will study Google Maps using your directions so I feel more confident of the route rather than having to just rely on my SatNav.

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hi John,

These roadworks have been on and off for quite a long time and the diversions are good and not causing too many issues, unlike the M27 closures...

There is a fairly direct route to the docks from your hotel that avoids the roundabout that will only take about 15/20 mins.

The Walnut Tree Farm next door serves nice food and massive eclairs....

Have a great time,

Andy

Thanks Andy we do intend to dine at Walnut Tree Farm, we went there 2 years ago when we last cruised with our son and family and stayed at the Southampton West HIE.

I will check google maps for the route you suggest, I assume we would not use the M271 in this case, do you think it would be really beneficial on a Saturday morning to avoid the M271? 

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks Andy we do intend to dine at Walnut Tree Farm, we went there 2 years ago when we last cruised with our son and family and stayed at the Southampton West HIE.

I will check google maps for the route you suggest, I assume we would not use the M271 in this case, do you think it would be really beneficial on a Saturday morning to avoid the M271? 

If you use the M271 you have to pass Redbridge roundabout.

Coming off of the estate where the hotel is, turn left towards Lordshill instead of right for M271. It is a fairly straight route through Shirley that brings you out right by the docks, close to gate 10 but then you are back on familiar territory.

Andy

I have found this document which seems to imply I can use my normal exit from Southampton on Sunday 20th October from Ocean Terminal. My usual route is the westbound pink route, getting on the M3 where it intersects the M27 at junction 4 and getting off the M3 at junction 9 for the A34. 

To get to the start of the M3 I use Bassett Ave A33 and then at Chilworth Roundabout I take the 1st exit onto the A27 (briefly) but I then continue forward onto the M3 entry rather than left to continue on the A27 (to Romsey/Chilwoth).

According to the document that looks to be all open during the closure weekends. If anyone disagrees please shout or if anyone can confirm that was actually the case in the last 2 closures that would be great.

M27+map+diversions+for+both+Eastbound+and+Westbound+traffic+during+the+weekend+closures.pdf

27 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

I have found this document which seems to imply I can use my normal exit from Southampton on Sunday 20th October from Ocean Terminal. My usual route is the westbound pink route, getting on the M3 where it intersects the M27 at junction 4 and getting off the M3 at junction 9 for the A34. 

To get to the start of the M3 I use Bassett Ave A33 and then at Chilworth Roundabout I take the 1st exit onto the A27 (briefly) but I then continue forward onto the M3 entry rather than left to continue on the A27 (to Romsey/Chilwoth).

According to the document that looks to be all open during the closure weekends. If anyone disagrees please shout or if anyone can confirm that was actually the case in the last 2 closures that would be great.

M27+map+diversions+for+both+Eastbound+and+Westbound+traffic+during+the+weekend+closures.pdf 184.84 kB · 4 downloads

That looks like good news for you, but obviously prepare for heavy traffic, Bassett Avenue was gridlocked last time.

Coming in to Southampton has been more affected than getting out on the previous closures, so hopefully you will be ok.

The Chilworth roundabout and exit from the M3 southbound was definitely closed previously as I was diverted, not sure about north bound though.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Andy

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

Hi,

Has anyone heard any update on the next planned closure of the M27? 

I presume it is still set for 

22:00 Friday 18 October until 05:00 Monday 21 October 2019 Demolition of the second bridge

Haven't seen anything locally to say it has changed but will keep my ears open.

Andy