Anyone have luck with contacting Southwest Corporate Office to get flight changed?

kokopelli-az

Our return flight (Sept 9) from FLL-PDX is on Southwest.    We received an email from Southwest saying they had changed our departure time from FLL and if this did not work we could book a different flight.   There are no acceptable alternate flights on Southwest searching for FLL-PDX.   However, using two separate searches (FLL-ATL / ATL/PDX) there is a perfect flight.   We contacted Southwest to change to the FLL-ATL / ATL-PDX flight and they said we cannot "build a ticket" and we have to rebook using what is available searching FLL-PDX.   Or  we could contact Southwest's corporate office on Monday to see if an exception could be made. 

Here's what the email said, "In the event this new itinerary does not work for you, we are offering the one time opportunity to change your flight date(s) and/or time(s) by up to 14 days from original travel date at no additional cost in accordance with our established reaccommodation practices."

My question is, has anyone contacted Southwest's corporate office for ticket changes (that customer service could not do) and was it successful? 

Were they referring you to the Southwest Customer Relations Department?  On the Southwest discussion forum it seems like that's where things are escalated (they aren't open on the weekend).  On the Southwest forums I have seen other customers ask about checking bags all the way through to the final destination when booking two separate tickets like you described.  It's risky taking that approach though.  There is an active contingent of folks over on the Southwest forum and I'm guessing you'd get a same day response if you post there.

Having said that, it looks like there are 8 published Southwest itineraries for September 9th on that route, is there something specific with the times that you need?  Have you thought about getting a refund from Southwest and booking on another airline?  Easiest way to do a quick search on Google Flights if time is a limiting factor is to sort the results by arrival time.  From everything I see you're looking at either one or two connections, regardless of airline.

I believe it actually is Southwest Customer Relations Dept.   The representative called it their Corporate Department but then at the end said Customer Relations.   

Regarding the published Southwest itineraries for my route (FLL/PDX) it's either the 9:55am departure or the next one is the 3:45 pm departure.   The original departure was noon.    I'm worried about making the 9:55 am departure because my husband is in a wheelchair.   We use the ship's wheelchair assistance at departure which we would have to wait for until they start.   (The ship, the Epic, docks at 6:15am but that won't be when they start the wheelchair assistance.)     And he cannot sit at the airport until 3:45 pm.   That's why we were trying a work-around via Atlanta.   

And yes we can get a refund.   But, it's a lot more expensive now on other carriers and we have to have seats toward the front of the plane (ie, like preferred economy) which makes it even more expensive.  

Thank you for the Southwest discussion forum link.

I’m not seeing anything that would help you out by doing the 2 separate flights (FLL-ATL and ATL-PDX). There are no direct flights from FLL -ATL on SW that would really work for you. You would have to change planes in Orlando and then again in Atlanta. And that is one of the options listed on the FLL-PDX routes (so you could switch to those flights on one ticket if you were willing to do that). 

If you are looking at SW flights on 9/9 there are several options but honestly none of them are very good. I am not seeing anything at the 3:45 departure time you mentioned. There is a 1:45 departure that might work (although the layovers are pretty long). 

For what it’s worth I have almost always had good luck dealing with the Customer Relations people at SW. so I’d call and ask for the flights you want.

If all else fails it might be worth a night at a hotel in FLL and just fly home the next day when you wouldn’t have to stress about disembarking and getting to the airport in time for the earlier flight. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

I believe it actually is Southwest Customer Relations Dept.   The representative called it their Corporate Department but then at the end said Customer Relations.   

Regarding the published Southwest itineraries for my route (FLL/PDX) it's either the 9:55am departure or the next one is the 3:45 pm departure.   The original departure was noon.    I'm worried about making the 9:55 am departure because my husband is in a wheelchair.   We use the ship's wheelchair assistance at departure which we would have to wait for until they start.   (The ship, the Epic, docks at 6:15am but that won't be when they start the wheelchair assistance.)     And he cannot sit at the airport until 3:45 pm.   That's why we were trying a work-around via Atlanta.   

And yes we can get a refund.   But, it's a lot more expensive now on other carriers and we have to have seats toward the front of the plane (ie, like preferred economy) which makes it even more expensive.  

Thank you for the Southwest discussion forum link.

How are you going to guarantee seats toward the front of the plane on Southwest....even with early bird isn't it first come?

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

How are you going to guarantee seats toward the front of the plane on Southwest....even with early bird isn't it first come?

I am guessing that they will preboard (comments indicate there is a wheelchair involved).  Southwest boarding position is irrelevant if you preboard.

2 hours ago, CruiseDigits said:

I am guessing that they will preboard (comments indicate there is a wheelchair involved).  Southwest boarding position is irrelevant if you preboard.

Correct.   My husband is in a wheelchair and we will preboard.  

45 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

or you could fly American, Delta or United with only 1 stop for about  $300-$400 each one way.  

I'm about to do that.   Unfortunately, my Southwest flight was only $243 pp for one way, but they will refund that.   I may have to bite the bullet and go on another carrier.  

On 7/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, CruiseDigits said:

I'm sure you're aware that if the Southwest flight you are on is a continuation of an earlier flight, there will already be some passengers onboard from the prior flight segment who may be seated in those front rows.  Others who were seated further back but are remaining for the leg you're on, may also move up to the front after the other pax have deplaned.  Preboarding still gives you better seat selection than boarding group A, but even if you're the first 2 people to board at your gate, you may not be boarding an empty aircraft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I'm sure you're aware that if the Southwest flight you are on is a continuation of an earlier flight, there will already be some passengers onboard from the prior flight segment who may be seated in those front rows.  Others who were seated further back but are remaining for the leg you're on, may also move up to the front after the other pax have deplaned.  Preboarding still gives you better seat selection than boarding group A, but even if you're the first 2 people to board at your gate, you may not be boarding an empty aircraft.

One of the reasons I stopped flying WN unless it's the only choice.  Had a business trip to the Bay Area.  WN had a flight that I could take with a full day of work.  I got to the airport and was handed "B10" or something.  Not bad, I thought.  Well, the flight was a continuation and all the "B10" got me was a middle seat...

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I was on a SWA flight last month through STL. Our plane was continuing on. As I was getting off, they already had the bulkhead seats blocked off for when the through passengers could change seats, to keep them available for the pre-boarders at the gate. I'm not sure what would have happened had those passengers that were in those seats stayed on the plane.