Share Your Memories From ms Prinsendam

cruzingnut

Since the last cruise of the Elegant Explorer ends today, I thought it would be nice to make a tribute to her.  Please share your best memories and photo's of her here. 

I loved the P'Dam...she was of a size that we perfect for getting into places most other ships couldn't. 

I'm just starting this thread and will come back and add stuff to it once I dig through my pictures.  I'll start with a couple pictures I took of her up on the hillside above Kotor, Montenegro.

Linda R.

kotorpano.jpg

pdamkotor.jpg

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 1

P-dam was the only HAL ship left with an open bridge wing. This is Captain Halle Thon Gundersen, Chief Officer Paul Spaas, and the Dublin harbor pilot as she was departing the port of Dublin, Ireland in August 2006

Dublin32, Captain Gundersen, Chief Officer Spaas and Dublin pilot on port bridge wing.JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Awesome model of Prinsendam I at the Lido Deck aft stairwell

Prinsendam48, Day 9 - Model of Prinsendam I at Lido Deck aft stairwell.JPG

Prinsendam49. Day 9 Model of Prinsendam I at Lido Deck aft stairwell.JPG

It was always amazing to see how many people would be studying this model.  There were always people looking at it. 😄 

She was the prettiest ship in the fleet to me.  Her itineraries were wonderful, her crew fantastic and the wood work, flowers, art were all marvellous.

Over 1/2 of my sailing days were on her.  I’ll miss her ❤️ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Awesome model of Prinsendam I at the Lido Deck aft stairwell

Prinsendam48, Day 9 - Model of Prinsendam I at Lido Deck aft stairwell.JPG

Prinsendam49. Day 9 Model of Prinsendam I at Lido Deck aft stairwell.JPG

Had the model been moved.  Every time I was on her the model was on deck 8 just behind the Explorers Lounge.

Roy

Some of my memories - most have been on my LIve threads - but... here goes...

"Tendering" to Fuerteventura.  I believe we were the first ship to see this island in the Canaries.  The people built a little floating dock.  When they reached out to cruise lines to see if they would use, they got a NO.

Our itinerary was marked as "tender".  that morning, the announcement came - I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen we can't tender today - you'll have to walk off the ship.

Captain Gundersen had docked!  The people were thrilled and so happy they offered us a tour aound the island before we set sail for the crossing.  We had a pilot on board and it was fabulous as this island is so geographically different.  people were waving everywhere.

Prinsendam is popular in a lot of ports I have discovered over the years.  And we have had a number of 'tender' ports turn into docked ports.

There is nothing like going on a little sightseeing tour and sailing below our own ship.  She looks big underneath 😉 

IMG_1948.thumb.JPG.47662f644b47d7df6c7d32dbe878b625.JPG

In Cobh, we were so close that if swimming wasn't forbidden you could literally swim to shore.  It was a fabulous day and the Prinsendam was right there with all the yachts and sailing ships in port.  It took more time to get in the tender than it did to tender.

IMG_1931.thumb.JPG.5a42e784a5f1bc3b5ded242cfc4a3c75.JPG

IMG_1930.thumb.JPG.40408f999af9afeb13fd077a5abbae33.JPG

She was the prettiest ship in the fleet as far as I was concerned.  I'd do a TA on her over any ship any day of the week.

She might not have had azipods (or whatever it is) but she cruised beautifully cutting through the waves.

Truly a wonderful ship and crew.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Had the model been moved.  Every time I was on her the model was on deck 8 just behind the Explorers Lounge.

Roy

Unknown Roy; my pics were taken in 2006 and that was the location then. The one below when she was Royal Viking Sun was located on Verandah Deck at the forward stairwell 

Prinsendam54, Day 10 Model of Royal Viking Sun (now Prinsendam) at  forward stairwell on Verandah Deck.JPG

Copper 10-8,  VictOriann and Kazu posted bring back so many great memories.  We spent 285 days on the Elegant Explorer, and there are too many memories to do them all justice.

We saw so many interesting places we could only see on her.  

But the best memories are of the feeling of coming home and being welcomed by her great crew.  They were the best.  Of course, there are good memories of Captains Gunderson, Tim Roberts, Dag, and Jeorgen (please forgive the spelling).

She will be missed.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser