Ladies Dinner Wear Question

lovetotraveltx

On 7/5/2019 at 2:32 AM, Underwatr said:

People might have to clutch at their pearls, but I don't think a collared shirt is strictly required on Cunard.

separateslooks4.jpg

This look is fine if you're 18-25 and as fine a specimen as this young man! But for lunch - not dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Lovetotraveltx:

What you have described sounds perfect (nice cocktail dress for gala nights, nice trousers/dressy shirt other nights).  Having agonized over this for my first QM2 trip, and having now completed 9, I came up with what I think is a simple test, one that works for both women and men.  Here goes:

Gala Evenings:  Imagine that you are standing talking to two gentlemen.  One is in full tuxedo, the other is wearing a dark suit, white shirt and tie.  Given what you are wearing, would a passerby assume that the three of you are about to attend the same function?

Non Gala Evenings:  Same scenario, except one gentleman is wearing a regular business suit with a tie.  The other is wearing a blazer, dress trousers, shirt, no tie.  Would you be assumed to be heading to the same function?

This, of course is just aimed at those who just want to fit in.  My first trip, this little test would have made my wardrobe decisions much easier.  Adjectives are so subjective (is my "dressy"  someone elses's "Let's go to the movies"?).  A word to the wise however; like most large spaces, sometimes it is too warm, sometimes a bit cool.  I always pack a pretty (unclear adjective, again!) wrap.  You don't have to put it on, but you certainly are glad of it when needed! 

Mostly, relax and enjoy!  I have always found the QM2 a delight. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2019 at 4:46 AM, fizzy1 said:

Geez !!! You would die of heat stroke on a beach outing in this !!!!!!!   This is the acceptable look for evening casual in the under 40’s today . Our twin sons are 34, both at the top of their game in their respective careers in the Uk and America . Very smart look. Love it or hate it, get used to it. It’s here to stay 

Why do you think that today’s dress standards are “here to stay”?

Don’t you think, just possibly, that previous generations also might have thought that things would stay the way  they were?   Or have we now reached some ideal, golden age where everything has evolved to perfection and will never change?

Just a touch of “nowism” perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 3:24 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Why do you think that today’s dress standards are “here to stay”?

Don’t you think, just possibly, that previous generations also might have thought that things would stay the way  they were?   Or have we now reached some ideal, golden age where everything has evolved to perfection and will never change?

Just a touch of “nowism” perhaps.

You misunderstood  what i meant . Fashion moves on  whether we like what we see or not and that is here to stay as it has always been

Edited by fizzy1

On 7/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, Elephant1151 said:

We  frequently travel with Cunard and  for me smart casual is a cocktail dress - lace, silk or grosgrain.  Maxi dress or an evening jumpsuit.  

Gala dress is long.  Silk or chiffon if we have flights on cruises from Southampton including world cruises beaded dresse are taken. I also wear evening shoes and take an asortment of evening bags. As these can make or break an outfit.

It doesn't matter what smart casual and gala 'is for you'. Cunard have outlined some examples of what each is, and if compliant there is no issue!! We have just returned from the 14 night Baltic cruise on Queen V, our first Cunard since 2015, and were astounded at the over interpretation of smart casual. We presume this is a throw back to the semi-formal days, when there were 3 different dress styles, and some still have not got over the fact that semi-formal no longer exists.

47 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It doesn't matter what smart casual and gala 'is for you'. Cunard have outlined some examples of what each is, and if compliant there is no issue!! We have just returned from the 14 night Baltic cruise on Queen V, our first Cunard since 2015, and were astounded at the over interpretation of smart casual. We presume this is a throw back to the semi-formal days, when there were 3 different dress styles, and some still have not got over the fact that semi-formal no longer exists.

The evenings are smart attire not smart casual, the description is

Smart Attire: Gentlemen, every night we request you wear smart trousers with a shirt and jacket; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Semi-formal still exists, even if Cunard doesn't ask for it. Some of us LIKE to dress above the minimum standard.  I'd rather wear a cocktail dress than "a blouse and skirt or stylish trousers." 

• Like 3

I personally like the phrase that so many seasoned Cunarders use... that you can never be too dressed up on Cunard 😊

It is a special occasion... and I look forward to dressing in lovely clothing and jewelry.

I have had so much fun putting my clothes and accessories together for my upcoming voyage!

For me, it is not a hassle... it is a joy!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

I personally like the phrase that so many seasoned Cunarders use... that you can never be too dressed up on Cunard 😊

It is a special occasion... and I look forward to dressing in lovely clothing and jewelry.

I have had so much fun putting my clothes and accessories together for my upcoming voyage!

For me, it is not a hassle... it is a joy!

I agree

• Like 2