Westerdam Observations

wyobean

Motion activated light at the base of the closets cannot be deactivated. It is great if you want/need it...very irritating when you don’t want a light kicking on when you get up in the night. Would be nice if it could be turned off. 

Not enough help in the Lido. Only 2 people behind the main food station...no one working sandwiches. 

No one was picking up dirty dishes or cleaning tables in the Explorer Lounge. 

Happy hours were only in Billboard Onboard and Ocean Bar. Nothing in the Explorer Lounge. 

Those are not really complaints as we are very chill cruisers...just letting people know. In Ketchikan today...overcast and low 60’s...beautiful. Yesterday saw dolphins and whales...

That "nightlight" can be easily deactivated by placing the bathmat folded lengthwise under the closet door.  I did and it worked beautifully.

We found the Lido subpar in service, management and organization.  I think it came down to the manager who was AWOL a lot of the time and and just fussed around when he was there.  I asked him a question and still can't figure out if he simply didn't know the answer or was being patronizing.  Compared to the Noordam, Eurodam and Volendam lately, this Lido/Canaletto was very unusual.

6 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

We found the Lido subpar in service, management and organization.  I think it came down to the manager who was AWOL a lot of the time and and just fussed around when he was there.  I asked him a question and still can't figure out if he simply didn't know the answer or was being patronizing.  Compared to the Noordam, Eurodam and Volendam lately, this Lido/Canaletto was very unusual.

I appreciate learning your experience.  I will embark Westerdam on the 14th and will be "cruise criticing" my Lido experience.

Captain Albert will be joining Westerdam in Seward on the 7th and I know he takes most--if not all--of his meals in the Lido Restaurant.  If he sees an issue, as Fleet Captain, I'd expect him to inform those who need to know about the issue.

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Captain Albert will be joining Westerdam in Seward on the 7th and I know he takes most--if not all--of his meals in the Lido Restaurant.  If he sees an issue, as Fleet Captain, I'd expect him to inform those who need to know about the issue.

Happy to hear this!  We have family on the Westerdam Sept 19.  It is their first HAL cruise, and would like them to have a great experience.  Due to a price drop they are now in a Signature Suite, so we are off to a good start.

They took the same crossing last year with Celebrity.  

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate learning your experience.  I will embark Westerdam on the 14th and will be "cruise criticing" my Lido experience.

The Manager was Rick, but there is a good chance he won't be in the Lido/Canaletto as they move officers around a lot.

Look forward to reading your posts!  Overall we were very, very pleased with the ship, the crew and officers.  Very professional, motivated, friendly, organized and happy.  Minus the Lido/Canaletto, this was a superior ship.  I would credit the Hotel Director for this and give him 100%.

5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Overall we were very, very pleased with the ship, the crew and officers.  Very professional, motivated, friendly, organized and happy.  Minus the Lido/Canaletto, this was a superior ship.  I would credit the Hotel Director for this and give him 100%.

I'm glad to learn this!  Did you try the Westerdam's PG?  Opinion?  Was there a pop-up Sel de Mar one evening?

Thank you so much for the bath mat suggestion! We will do that tonight. We eat mostly in the Lido. The food has been great and the wait staff very attentive and helpful. Definitely long lines in places you would expect(omelette station, Dive In). There just doesn’t seem to be any wait staff in Explorations...that has never been our experience on other ships.

Thank you for your observations.

There has never been a Happy Hour in the Explorers Lounge on the Westerdam on all the cruises we did on her.

The only time we had Happy Hour in the Explorers Lounge was when we were on the inaugural cruises of the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  In later years, they were gone.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I'm glad to learn this!  Did you try the Westerdam's PG?  Opinion?  Was there a pop-up Sel de Mar one evening?

4 dinners, one lunch, 2 Sel pop-ups over two weeks.

All excellent food, with outstanding service (Fuad, the best).  Steaks cooked as you order them (it is somewhat unusual for some HAL ships to get it right).  Sel  has a Catch of the Day, usually halibut and, while not fresh, it was of very high quality.

48 minutes ago, wyobean said:

Thank you so much for the bath mat suggestion! We will do that tonight. We eat mostly in the Lido. The food has been great and the wait staff very attentive and helpful. Definitely long lines in places you would expect(omelette station, Dive In). There just doesn’t seem to be any wait staff in Explorations...that has never been our experience on other ships.

How was the Dive-in for you?  We found that the fries were nearly cold and the burgers, while excellent, really could have been hotter. Such a good product, but not close to made to order.

Crows Nest had good table service when it was busy.  For coffee, strictly go up and order yourself.

Edited by SilvertoGold

7 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

4 dinners, one lunch, 2 Sel pop-ups over two weeks.

All excellent food, with outstanding service (Fuad, the best).  Steaks cooked as you order them (it is somewhat unusual for some HAL ships to get it right).  Sel  has a Catch of the Day, usually halibut and, while not fresh, it was of very high quality.

More encouraging news for me inasmuch as HAL's PGs have provided more disappointing dining experiences for me than positive ones.  Sel de Mar on Nieuw Statendam was the dining highlight of that cruise for me.  Thank you for the information!  

The bath mat worked perfectly. Thanks for that! Our Dive In meal was very good and was served hot. Good to know about the Happy Hour...this is our first cruise on the Westerdam.

In Juneau today...sun shining and in the 70’s...beautiful!

2 hours ago, wyobean said:

The bath mat worked perfectly. Thanks for that! Our Dive In meal was very good and was served hot. Good to know about the Happy Hour...this is our first cruise on the Westerdam.

In Juneau today...sun shining and in the 70’s...beautiful!

Good to hear!  We miss that ship!