Walk, Taxi or Uber to Lahaina?

Jiminy1955

I know Maui is a tender port. So what’s the best way to get from the pier to Lahaina?  Is it a reasonable walk or should we take taxi or Uber?  It’s been 20 years since I’ve been there and then it was a land trip.

If you are docking in Kahului then you are a taxi/uber ride to Lahaina (usually Pride of America and a handful of Carnival ships). If you are tendering into Lahaina (most other ships), you'll get dropped off within walking distance to everything. 

Ubers, while available, can be sluggish at certain times of day as there aren't a ton of them. Just keep that in mind if you are beholden to using them.

Some reading around the board, and some Google Map reading would give you a lot of info. As mentioned, Maui is not only a tender port...you only tender at Lahaina, right in town. I believe on Google Maps, there is a ship in, and you can see where the ships tender to.

Otherwise you dock in Kahalui which is a 40-60 minute drive, depending on time of day/traffic.

1 hour ago, Jiminy1955 said:

I know Maui is a tender port. So what’s the best way to get from the pier to Lahaina?  Is it a reasonable walk or should we take taxi or Uber?  It’s been 20 years since I’ve been there and then it was a land trip.

Since you’re asking about Lahaina as a tender port then as princeton123211 wrote you’ll arrive in the town.

Here’s a link to an aerial view of the harbor & the surrounding area...the tender dock is in the lower lefthand corner across from the Pioneer Inn.  From that website you can also learn about an historical walking tour that you could take.

https://lahainatown.com/lahaina-harbor-map.php

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Since you’re asking about Lahaina as a tender port then as princeton123211 wrote you’ll arrive in the town.

Here’s a link to an aerial view of the harbor & the surrounding area...the tender dock is in the lower lefthand corner across from the Pioneer Inn.  From that website you can also learn about an historical walking tour that you could take.

https://lahainatown.com/lahaina-harbor-map.php

Thank you! I had no idea it was right there! 

26 minutes ago, Jiminy1955 said:

Thank you! I had no idea it was right there! 

You’re welcome...either stroll around the historical old town of Lahaina (past capital of the Hawaiian Monarchy & whaling capital of the world) with shopping & restaurants or you can take a short cab ride ($20-ish) to the Ka’anapali Beach resort area (sandy beach with large hotels & restaurants).

For a day in port a rental car might not be a good option & having fewer cars available prices are higher than at the Kahului airport which as posted is a minimum 45 minute drive from Lahaina.  And driving independently from the Lahaina West Maui area to other parts of Maui can be risky.  There's only one viable route (2-lane road) which sometimes is closed for hours due to accidents, brushfires or rockslides.  It’s just something to consider & not to frighten anyone but a closure could result in missing the ship when touring independently.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome...either stroll around the historical old town of Lahaina (past capital of the Hawaiian Monarchy & whaling capital of the world) with shopping & restaurants or you can take a short cab ride ($20-ish) to the Ka’anapali Beach resort area (sandy beach with large hotels & restaurants).

For a day in port a rental car might not be a good option & having fewer cars available prices are higher than at the Kahului airport which as posted is a minimum 45 minute drive from Lahaina.  And driving independently from the Lahaina West Maui area to other parts of Maui can be risky.  There's only one viable route (2-lane road) which sometimes is closed for hours due to accidents, brushfires or rockslides.  It’s just something to consider & not to frighten anyone but a closure could result in missing the ship.

Thank you.  We just want to hang out in town since we’ve been to Kaanapali a couple of times.  Maui is the only island we opted to not do an excursion so the tendering drop off is perfect!

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Can we safely walk from the tender dock to the location of the Old Lahaina Luau?

Yes. As mentioned above, a look at Google Maps shows the location. Its not a real short walk...I believe it is about 20 minutes the last time someone asked this question.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its not a real short walk...I believe it is about 20 minutes the last time someone asked this question.

It is about 20 minutes and its not a particularly scenic or well supported one either-- a good portion of Front Street once you get closer to the Luau does not have a sidewalk. You'll be walking a good portion of it at night on a very tight shoulder of a two lane road-- not ideal if you have kids in tow. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

It is about 20 minutes and its not a particularly scenic or well supported one either-- a good portion of Front Street once you get closer to the Luau does not have a sidewalk. You'll be walking a good portion of it at night on a very tight shoulder of a two lane road-- not ideal if you have kids in tow. 

Disagee. There is a new development going up in the area you mention, with sidewalks. The "good" portion you refer to is not more than a third of the walk, more like one quarter. Have walked the area many times.

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is a new development going up in the area you mention, with sidewalks.

I don't remember any real sidewalks beyond the bridge for a stretch past the Jesus is Coming sign by Capt Steve's dock, but if you say theres one going in thats good news. Haven't been back since June. 

As an aside-- if anyone is looking for something excellent to eat near the luau (as Luau's traditionally aren't a bastion of culinary prowess)-- Aloha Mixed Plate right near Old Lahaina Luau is very, very good. 

I did this walk in October. There is a well-lit, decent sidewalk across the street from OLL, when heading back to town. Once you get to the bridge, there is decent sidewalk on both sides of the street. It took two, mid-60, fairly fit women about 20 minutes to do the walk. Though we did do a bit of window shopping on the way home.😎

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, mindyla said:

Are cabs usually available outside the Old Lahaina Luau to take you back to the ship at the end of the evening?

There aren't a ton of cabs in Lahaina period-- they tend to cluster more in town near Lahaina Grill or the Banyan Tree. Personally I would just use Uber. There are many more drivers on the app these days than in years past and it's very easy. 

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just drove through the area mentioned yesterday. There is sidewalk the entire way, except about the first half block. 

Correction....just walked in the area today. There is sidewalk end to end, luau to port. You do have to walk on the other side of the street for awhile.