What advice to give to kids?

Ranyw

On 7/11/2019 at 11:14 PM, xDisconnections said:

That's a big one. These ships are like small cities and not everyone has good intentions.

you have got to be kidding, what like abductions? Older kids do not want to be hanging out with their parents, especially over 12. The camps are awesome. My kid, now 32, has been cruising since 6. By early teens the MDR got a big eye roll. We had meeting times, time to meet at the cabin, of course shore excursions. We believe the ship is a very safe environment for kids to meet new friends from all over the country.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coevan said:

you have got to be kidding, what like abductions? Older kids do not want to be hanging out with their parents, especially over 12. The camps are awesome. My kid, now 32, has been cruising since 6. By early teens the MDR got a big eye roll. We had meeting times, time to meet at the cabin, of course shore excursions. We believe the ship is a very safe environment for kids to meet new friends from all over the country.

You have a false sense of security. Not even Disney World is safe. Just because nothing happened to your kid, it does not mean it’s a safe environment. It’s the luck of the draw and people are unpredictable.

false sense of security?  I can't live in a paranoid world waiting for something bad to happen. We believe a cruise ship is a very safe environment.  You definitely book Carnival excursions, for security of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

false sense of security?  I can't live in a paranoid world waiting for something bad to happen. We believe a cruise ship is a very safe environment.  You definitely book Carnival excursions, for security of course.

I don't think I reserve Carnival excursions.

They should follow instructions of their parents 

be polite not be naughty 

don't be hurry up and also be careful on sun deck.

Don't get into other guests' rooms . 

Avoid motion sickness and other illnesses ,Washing hands often and using antibacterial gel or baby wipes to cleanse hands can help keep your family stay healthy while cruising

kids tweens and teens will want to be part of choosing where your family should cruise and which activities are best. Incorporating some of their wishes will make the cruise a better experience for all family members. To build pre-vacation excitement, try to find age-appropriate books for your children to read about your cruise destinations.

To be honest, I'm way, way, way more worried about norovirus than child abduction, so WASH YOUR HANDS. And PUT ON SUNSCREEN. Yes, Again. No, use more. Get your ears, too. And your feet -- sunburnt feet are a misery. Then, the ever popular pair of DRINK SOME WATER and EAT SOME PROTEIN, just because dessert is free and unlimited doesn't mean you can live off pure sugar alone and too much of that will make you sick (see rule 1)

• Like 1

Apparently I'm the only one thinking you say absolutely nothing unless they are your kids or you are taking them without their parents/guardians.  IMO their parents should be the ones giving instructions.  

On 7/11/2019 at 11:48 PM, Ranyw said:

So out of the blue we have 3 families joining us on our next cruise.  They have kids aging from 6 to 17.  What advice should I give the kids?

did the parents of these kids ask you to give their kids advice? Just wondering.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:39 PM, coevan said:

false sense of security? We believe a cruise ship is a very safe environment. 

why? Some cruise lines don't prohibit child molesters from cruising with them, for example.

Crimes like that have happened on the cruise and they have been reported, but - alas, too late for the child. I personally think it's better to try preventing than dealing with the consequences.

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

why? Some cruise lines don't prohibit child molesters from cruising with them, for example.

Crimes like that have happened on the cruise and they have been reported, but - alas, too late for the child. I personally think it's better to try preventing than dealing with the consequences.

I wouldn’t worry about child molesters.  The chances that some random 35 yo is going to grab a kid by the hair and drag her into a closet is virtually nil.

Want a real risk.  14 yo girl goes into a cabin alone with a 14 yo boy. She intends to only kiss, he has more elaborate plans.  

But that risk exists back at home too.  And requires a healthy conversation about personal security not boogeymen  paranoia about lurking child molesters in the stairwells  

• Like 1

Just now, ed01106 said:

I wouldn’t worry about child molesters.  The chances that some random 35 yo is going to grab a kid by the hair and drag her into a closet is virtually nil.

Want a real risk.  14 yo girl goes into a cabin alone with a 14 yo boy. She intends to only kiss, he has more elaborate plans.  

But that risk exists back at home too.  And requires a healthy conversation about personal security not boogeymen  paranoia about lurking child molesters in the stairwells  

in the case I was talking about was actually the cruise staff member who followed a young girl into the cabin and touched her inappropriately. So much for the boogeyman. He was dismissed by the cruise line, but the damage was done.

ADVICE?  Hell...tell them the RULES!  They are kids...they need RULES...not "advice"!  No going into anyone's cabin...no one in THEIR cabin.  FREQUENT check-ins with the parents, to approve their next plan/adventure.  Show up for meals.  I mean..it's common sense stuff!  Act like SOMEBODY!

Roaming kids are trouble.  Kids under 17 should have to account for their activities, IMO.  Parents should know what their kids are doing, and why they're doing it.  They shouldn't rely on texts...they should SEE the kids!  You just never know.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:42 AM, VicRock said:

Apparently I'm the only one thinking you say absolutely nothing unless they are your kids or you are taking them without their parents/guardians.  IMO their parents should be the ones giving instructions.  

I'm torn between deeply appreciating this as a free-range parent and wanting to give every adult in the vicinity blanket permission to tell my kids to wash their hands or put on sunscreen, because they need all the reminders they can get. *sigh* There's really no winning in parenting is there?

On one hand, I agree that the parents need to tell their kids. That being said, I am all for kids having fun, after all, it is their vacation as well. However, I have seen many parents who, as soon as they step on the ship they take a vacation from parenting. The kids still need to have boundaries and the parents still need to make sure that their kids are at least somewhat behaving. 

Here's one I haven't heard mentioned, more applicable to older kids and teens. Obviously we all think our kids are well behaved but sometimes kids get caught up in some group misbehavior. There are lots of CCTV cameras onboard. So think twice before you join in with other kids pulling a prank or otherwise breaking the rules. You may think no one's watching when in fact they are. If you don't feel comfortable with what other kids are doing, walk away.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Mine are more for older kids and teens, and even adults who just don't think about things when they suspend their minds while on vacation.  I live a vacation/resort community and I know how people just use their "Vacation brain" and somehow all of the rules of the world are just forgotten.  People do things they would never do when at home.  Yes, vacation should be relaxed, but  there is really still some personal responsibility.

We go over these little things every time, just as reminders.

* Just because you are on vacation it doesn't mean you need to suspend good judgment.  Use good judgment on your personal boundaries. If you would not go to a secluded/isolated location at home, don't do it on a ship.

* Wash hands, sanitize hands.

* If you drop something on the floor, like a utensil in the buffet, put it aside or give it to an attendant. Don't put it back on the food tray.  Likewise, don't just kick it under the serving area or across the floor.   Don't pick up food to sniff or taste and put it back.  Once you've touched it, it belongs to you. If you don't like it, then just put it aside on your plate/tray and it will be discarded.

* Don't run and scream in the hallways or knock on random doors and then run (well this could be for little ones too who get really excited).  

* There are as many good people on a ship and as many creepy ones as at home- use good judgment.  Don't go off with a crew member to an unattended area of the ship.  
* Yes, there are cameras everywhere and someone is watching pretty much everything. Don't be a moron.

I don't have kids of my own but we frequently travel with my nieces, currently ages 14 and 8.   On Royal's ships, I understand that the youngest has to have an armband on whether she is in children's club or not. 

Just like at Disney or anywhere else your child might get "lost" or "separated," be sure the kids know a safe person to ask for help or where they can go to get help.

For parents: 

* Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean you don't need to have some oversight of your kids. It doesn't mean you have to be on them all the time, but you do need to keep an eye on them or have some safeguards in place like a meet up time or a check in system.   
* If you have your kids in the kids program and you have them checked in where the ship's staff knows they are supposed to be watching your child, then yes it is reasonably expected that they are keeping an eye on your child.    Otherwise, if you are just hanging out on the pool deck or elsewhere on the ship, it is NOT the responsibility of ship's staff to babysit your child or be on the lookout for them at all times.  It is YOUR responsibility (or someone in your party) to make sure your child is playing safely in the pool, or on the putt putt course or whatever activity you are doing.   I understand it is your vacation too, but that doesn't mean every area of the ship is a glorified day camp and someone else is going to attend your children while you suck down beverages. 

Edited by legaljen1969
add WASH HANDS

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, cb at sea said:

ADVICE?  Hell...tell them the RULES!  

I agree.  It is important to have rules. However, there is some good "advice" to be dispensed as well.  See below.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, ed01106 said:

Pee before putting swimsuit on.

Wear sunscreen.

Hang up your swimsuit so it dries overnight.

Explore the ship top to bottom day one.

Good advice.  Good way to have fun.   As someone else said, go through the daily planner and pick activities you want to do with your family and see what looks like fun to you.   I know on one cruise a few years ago, I did a trivia thing and then there was another game that was like a scavenger hunt/trivia combined that encouraged some exploration of the ship.