Confused about Service Charges

Wildgrits

I am traveling on the Escape in January.

Bartenders receive an 18% automatic gratuity from all beverage service charges. Those purchasing beverages packages will be charged the 18% gratuity and service charge when purchasing the package.

I have read different info about this topic. If you get the "Unlimited open bar (Premium Beverage Package) for two ($138.60 service charge per person not included)" will you be charged gratuity per drink when ordering them or does this Service Charge cover that?

Also, when it states a service charge daily of $15, is that the same as gratuities or will we be charged tips to our on board account once we are on the ship? 

You're going to love the Escape, she's a great ship!!! I'll try to answer best I can...

you will not be charged per drink, the gratuities you pay on the package cover that, the only thing you will be charge is tax while in US waters.

the daily service charge is separate - that covers waiters, housekeepers, etc. and others behind the scenes you never even see. 

Hope this helps, have a great cruise!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wildgrits said:

Also, when it states a service charge daily of $15, is that the same as gratuities or will we be charged tips to our on board account once we are on the ship? 

There are people on here who love nothing more than arguing about whether the service charge are gratuities or not, and I’m sure that some will be along soon to amaze us with their knowledge.

Before they do though, I’ll just say that, whatever they are called, once you have paid any charge added to your purchases (whether upfront if you get a package, or per purchase if you pay per drink), and you pay the amount that is added to your account daily then you have paid everything that you need to. Anything you pay on top of that is up to you and is not expected or required.

• Like 2

Just to add.... if you purchase a beverage that is above the $15 limit then you pay the difference as well as the 20% gratuity on that difference. 

So, a $20 drink will be:

20 minus 15 equals $5

20% gratuity on the 5 equals $1

Your cost equals $6

The gratuity is now 20% not 18%

On our last 14 night cruise we paid upfront $800 for gratuities/service charges. This included daily service charge, udp and ubp. We would never tip that much on a two week all inclusive land resort. The only person I tipped extra was our room steward who was excellent. The best stew we ever had. My last 7 day cruise the stew was mediocre at best. Never saw him and did nothing for us other than the usual. Tipped him nothing extra.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildgrits said:

I am traveling on the Escape in January. Bartenders receive an 18% automatic gratuity from all beverage service charges. Those purchasing beverages packages will be charged the 18% gratuity and service charge when purchasing the package. I have read different info about this topic. If you get the "Unlimited open bar (Premium Beverage Package) for two ($138.60 service charge per person not included)" will you be charged gratuity per drink when ordering them or does this Service Charge cover that?

The $138.60 covers the gratuity on all drinks under $15. Any drink that you order that is less than $15 (which is almost all drinks, unless you start asking for top shelf liquor) will incur NO additional charges. If your drink is over $15, you will pay 20% gratuity on the amount OVER $15. 

It is the same thing. The $15 per day per person covers your room steward, main dining room, and many behind the scenes crew members that work very hard to make your cruise enjoyable. There are NO additional charges on board for gratuities. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wildgrits said:

I am traveling on the Escape in January.

Bartenders receive an 18% automatic gratuity from all beverage service charges. Those purchasing beverages packages will be charged the 18% gratuity and service charge when purchasing the package.

I have read different info about this topic. If you get the "Unlimited open bar (Premium Beverage Package) for two ($138.60 service charge per person not included)" will you be charged gratuity per drink when ordering them or does this Service Charge cover that?

1. The service charge covers the bar tenders. You will not be charged anything more.

2. The Daily Service Charge covers anyone else that you need to tip unless you are in a suite. It should be considered the same as tips.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hladygirl said:

On our last 14 night cruise we paid upfront $800 for gratuities/service charges. This included daily service charge, udp and ubp. We would never tip that much on a two week all inclusive land resort. The only person I tipped extra was our room steward who was excellent. The best stew we ever had. My last 7 day cruise the stew was mediocre at best. Never saw him and did nothing for us other than the usual. Tipped him nothing extra.

that is exactly how it should be. Nothing extra unless the you are getting outstanding service We usually have tipped the steward extra and most of the time, if a wait person has brought us drinks we add a $ or  2, especially if they are super friendly. I tipped a bar delivery young man a buck when gambling on our first or second night on our last cruise: He was me in the hall a few days later and remembered my name.I was super impressed.