Mid to late September, Inside Passage? Yes, or no, or...?

gjb2019

We've never been on a cruise before. Weather-wise, is September (2019) a significant negative risk for Inside passage cruises to Alaska? Or, might it be okay? We'd love to hear your experiences / advice. We have a choice of two Inside Passage cruises, one leaving on Sept 15th and the other on Sept 22nd (the later one is a better deal price-wise) - would it make any difference (for weather risk) which one we chose? The first one goes to Glacier Bay, while the second doesn't (goes to Tracy Arm instead).

I originally posted this in the forum for new cruisers, and someone who replied suggested I post it here - hope that's okay!

9 minutes ago, gjb2019 said:

We've never been on a cruise before. Weather-wise, is September (2019) a significant negative risk for Inside passage cruises to Alaska? Or, might it be okay? We'd love to hear your experiences / advice. We have a choice of two Inside Passage cruises, one leaving on Sept 15th and the other on Sept 22nd (the later one is a better deal price-wise) - would it make any difference (for weather risk) which one we chose? The first one goes to Glacier Bay, while the second doesn't (goes to Tracy Arm instead).

I originally posted this in the forum for new cruisers, and someone who replied suggested I post it here - hope that's okay!

Good to see you found the As forums 

There will be people who sing praise of the Tracy Arm Fjord and the beautiful sail in, the reality is it can't compare to Glacier Bay.  I've done both, one is a National Park for a reason.   We enjoyed the Tracy Arm but you really need to take the add on small tour excursion to get most, that is a unique experience not available in Glacier.   

For Glacier and earlier by a week would make me highly encourage you to consider spending extra for that.   

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

We did Alaska for 14 days the past two years. Late August and early September. Each cruise went to the same ports but the weather was completely different. The first cruise it was rainy, foggy, overcast, and cool, at every stop. The other was sunny and warmer. Both times to Glacier Bay and Icy Strait Point it was cold and overcast. This time of year you will see all the mark downs in the shops, since it’s approaching the seasons end.

Generalizing about the weather in Southeast Alaska is a fool's errand.  It can be warm(ish) and sunny, miserable and rainy, or anything in between - within hours.  

Two photo examples - 

July 4 in Ketchikan -

20100704_92s.jpg

Two days later in Juneau - 

20100708_20s.jpg

Some of the best days I've had in Alaska (lived there for years) have been on the Inside Passage in the winter (in ferries.)  Glassy water, silent forests, snow covered peaks through breaks in the clouds, eagles and whales... it's all good.

Just come prepared with layers and patience and you'll have a terrific time.

• Like 2

For those who choose a September Alaska cruise they need to be prepared for rain.  Even though we live in Alaska, and have for years, we periodically do Alaska itineraries.  There is a reason why SE Alaska is referred to as "rain country," and September is known for rain in that area.  While weather is always a "crap shoot" the reason why the September 22nd cruise is cheaper is because the cruise line anticipates worse weather.

Went in September of 2017.  Had rain in Juneau and Sitka and sun in Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC.  Its September so you'll never know what you'll get but to be honest, two cruises a week apart is not going to make any difference weather wise.  I would definitely choose the Glacier Bay cruise, too.

JMHO and YMMV