Single to Alaska

Petoonya

I'm looking at doing a 14 day Alaska round trip from Seattle without hubby and paying the single supplement.

Lately I've been booking cruises without Olife as I don't drink and prefer to do independent tours.

However I've done Alaska before and know how costly the tours are there. The difference is $900 for Olife.

I'd probably not use the air as Seattle is a 5 hour drive from me. ( I could get that deducted from O life right?)

Would the 8 tours ascribed to Olife be just for me, or would my imaginary companion on the single supplement

use those extra 4 tours up?

Realize this is a question for my wonderful TA but wanted to ask here first in case anyone has done this.

Thanks......nancy

Well holy moley!

Just did talk to my TA and this is incredible. There IS a single supplement for this sailing. And while I don't get all the shore excursions I get 4 of them plus $400 shipboard credit. My husband will be unhappy I think but he just wouldn't do another semi-long cruise after an 18 day we're doing in April. But this is too good to be true. I just might be a nasty woman and do it!

Thanks!

Nancy

• Like 2

just  to add  the air in NOT part of the O life

This has been discussed before

You can take the air  or take the air credit

Then do the math between the price  for the O Life perks  & doing the "cruise only fare"

Some cases you are paying yourself  for the "FREE" excursions you do not want  or the OBC that is non refundable

Just saying  be aware of what you are paying for

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

just  to add  the air in NOT part of the O life

This has been discussed before

You can take the air  or take the air credit

Then do the math between the price  for the O Life perks  & doing the "cruise only fare"

Some cases you are paying yourself  for the "FREE" excursions you do not want  or the OBC that is non refundable

Just saying  be aware of what you are paying for

I do understand LHT. Thank you. TA explained to me- it always confuses me.  Fortunately I live so close to Seattle I'd never need air anyway.

This single deal 14 day Alaska (it's just a G guarantee though) is $5k with $400 tours and $500 OBC and gratuities. Single. Blows me away. Hubby is going to possibly blow a gasket! But he does things without my say so, so it's time for me to go for broke 😉  Never done anything like this alone though so going to have to take time to think it through. He won't go- won't leave the dogs again!

25 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

This single deal 14 day Alaska (it's just a G guarantee though) is $5k with $400 tours and $500 OBC and gratuities.

how much without the $400 tours?

29 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

$4800. No single supp. An extra $400 cash, 4 tours and single supp, made it impossible to pass up Olife. It's just a super deal all around.

are you saying you get $400 cash plus 4 tours as O Life perk??

I am confused  then ..usually you get one of the 3 perks

Well if you do go  have a great trip

18 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

YES! Instead of splitting it between 2 people you're getting it for just yourself! Sounds too good to be true but I'm looking at the invoice.

You're making me want to go.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

are you saying you get $400 cash plus 4 tours as O Life perk??

I am confused  then ..usually you get one of the 3 perks

Forget it. I was wrong about the extra $400, just as you suspected.

Everything else about the booking is correct. $5k, reduced single supplement, 4 tours- BUT NO $400 OBC.

If remove O life I lose the gratuities which at $32/day x 14 days is $450. Still makes sense to keep the Olife and the 4 tours regardless I remember well the prices on independent tours in Alaska. Plus I get that 25% discount on tours above my 4 booked.

It's still an great deal.

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

You're making me want to go.

Please think about it. It's a great deal for 2 passengers.  Eight ports, Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord. Outside of seeing Glacier Bay I don't know what could be better.

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Everything else about the booking is correct. $5k, reduced single supplement, 4 tours- BUT NO $400 OBC.

If remove O life I lose the gratuities which at $32/day x 14 days is $450.

Is the PPG part of the deal or is it from your TA or loyalty perk?

I am not seeing  PPG as part of O Life deal

If you are  a single  I would not think they would charge you gratuities for 2 ...do they??

48 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is the PPG part of the deal or is it from your TA or loyalty perk?

I am not seeing  PPG as part of O Life deal

If you are  a single  I would not think they would charge you gratuities for 2 ...do they??

I'm just going from a sister who did a Marina cruise with single supplement, and was charged gratuities for 2.

You misunderstand- didn't mean the PPGs are part of the Olife deal.The PPGs are coming my TA. If I don't take Olife her commission structure changes enough to not warrant providing PPGs.

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

If remove O life I lose the gratuities which at $32/day x 14 days is $450. Still makes sense to keep the Olife and the 4 tours regardless I remember well the prices on independent tours in Alaska. Plus I get that 25% discount on tours above my 4 booked.

It's still an great deal.

The Ambassador on Insignia was pricing a solo cruise for me and said I would get all of the excursions or OBC  since I was paying the 200% single supplement (8 instead of 4 tours or $800 instead of $400). 

Also, I don't think gratuities are $32/day...I was in a Penthouse suite and they were $23/day (extra for the butler). 

14 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

The Ambassador on Insignia was pricing a solo cruise for me and said I would get all of the excursions or OBC  since I was paying the 200% single supplement (8 instead of 4 tours or $800 instead of $400). 

I'm not paying 200% single supplement- it's discounted so I only get 4 tours for a 14 day cruise.

14 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Also, I don't think gratuities are $32/day...I was in a Penthouse suite and they were $23/day (extra for the butler)

Gratuities are $16/pp/day. I'd only feel right, seeing as how staff would normally receive gratuities for two passengers, to pay them for two, even if it's me by my lonesome. If they aren't included in the TA's free gratuities I'll pay them myself. JMHO.

Edited by Petoonya

8 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I'm just going from a sister who did a Marina cruise with single supplement, and was charged gratuities for 2.

You misunderstand- didn't mean the PPGs are part of the Olife deal.The PPGs are coming my TA. If I don't take Olife her commission structure changes enough to not warrant providing PPGs.

wow that seems unfair  that single pay 2X  for grats

my TA still gives PPG  on cruise only fares  ...maybe shop around

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

wow that seems unfair  that single pay 2X  for grats

my TA still gives PPG  on cruise only fares  ...maybe shop around

I think I don't get PPGs on this cruise without Olife because it's the cheapo fare- a G. This is first time she wouldn't be able to give me gratuities without Olife in a G though most likely because the fare isn't great for her. She's lovely and always seems to get me a terrific deal on upsells. In the good old days of upgrades she got me a PH1 for a G once. I'd sooner have my teeth all pulled out than change.

11 hours ago, clo said:

You go, girl!

Clo,

You crack me up! Wish I were going with you!

I also have a girlfriend who is asking me to do an Arctic tour with her to see polar bears. Have a love affair with polar bears and it's really enticing. May have to postpone the polar bears till the following year.

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Wish I were going with you!

Oceania 12/7, Rio to Buenos Aires!  See ya/y'all then.  Or maybe next time we're driving back from Seattle along the Oregon Coast!

23 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I'm looking at doing a 14 day Alaska round trip from Seattle without hubby and paying the single supplement.

Lately I've been booking cruises without Olife as I don't drink and prefer to do independent tours.

However I've done Alaska before and know how costly the tours are there. The difference is $900 for Olife.

I'd probably not use the air as Seattle is a 5 hour drive from me. ( I could get that deducted from O life right?)

Would the 8 tours ascribed to Olife be just for me, or would my imaginary companion on the single supplement

use those extra 4 tours up?

Realize this is a question for my wonderful TA but wanted to ask here first in case anyone has done this.

Thanks......nancy

If  O life  you get 8 tours per cabin as I read it. if your paying 100%   

However, as you may remember, from your prior visits to Alaska, you can do much much better  on your own. 

Remember too,  O life is not free... you pay that on top of the fare !     I'd just get the rock bottom no frills fare and save your money for stuff  you choose and at a better price.

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

If  O life  you get 8 tours per cabin as I read it. if your paying 100%   

However, as you may remember, from your prior visits to Alaska, you can do much much better  on your own. 

Remember too,  O life is not free... you pay that on top of the fare !     I'd just get the rock bottom no frills fare and save your money for stuff  you choose and at a better price.

Thanks Dan.

I've been to Alaska multiple times and know even the independent tours are astronomical. Worse that Tahiti. I've looked at the O ones on the website for this year and some of the ones would work out to be pretty cost effective compared to what I see offered independently now. I have NEVER done an O tour- always independent and have plenty of time to change my mind. I just hate to lose the gratuities that my TA will offer as long as I keep O life. Apparently her commission would fall below the level needed to give me free gratuities if I drop Olife. And don't tell me to look elsewhere- I love her!

So far the costs are pretty close with a little more weight on keeping Olife. I have plenty of time to change my mind.

I'm just so excited about the cruise and the price I can't stand it.

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks Dan.

I've been to Alaska multiple times and know even the independent tours are astronomical. Worse that Tahiti. I've looked at the O ones on the website for this year and some of the ones would work out to be pretty cost effective compared to what I see offered independently now. I have NEVER done an O tour- always independent and have plenty of time to change my mind. I just hate to lose the gratuities that my TA will offer as long as I keep O life. Apparently her commission would fall below the level needed to give me free gratuities if I drop Olife. And don't tell me to look elsewhere- I love her!

So far the costs are pretty close with a little more weight on keeping Olife. I have plenty of time to change my mind.

I'm just so excited about the cruise and the price I can't stand it.

I see you point..... time to focus on getting to 10 cruises and get free grats!     When you do and free grats are offered, you get  a big increase  on OBC of about what the grats would have been... you agent can tell you more than I.   I  assume that she is a connoisseur   club member and connected.   Good luck

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I think I don't get PPGs on this cruise without Olife because it's the cheapo fare- a G. This is first time she wouldn't be able to give me gratuities without Olife in a G though most likely because the fare isn't great for her. She's lovely and always seems to get me a terrific deal on upsells. In the good old days of upgrades she got me a PH1 for a G once. I'd sooner have my teeth all pulled out than change.

well if you are getting the PPG  then it is probably worth using the O Life perks

Enjoy the cruise

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

I see you point..... time to focus on getting to 10 cruises and get free grats!     When you do and free grats are offered, you get  a big increase  on OBC of about what the grats would have been... you agent can tell you more than I.   I  assume that she is a connoisseur   club member and connected.   Good luck

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

well if you are getting the PPG  then it is probably worth using the O Life perks

Enjoy the cruise

Thanks you two! My husband is being a stinker about it but oh h. It's my money too and I really want to do this. Much rather he be onboard with it but I just can't pass this up. Itinerary much more intensive thank I've ever done. And several ports I've done before so don't have to jump into the deluge that NCL, RCI, Princess and Celebrity will create. Yippee!

41 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks you two! My husband is being a stinker about it but oh h. It's my money too and I really want to do this. Much rather he be onboard with it but I just can't pass this up. Itinerary much more intensive thank I've ever done. And several ports I've done before so don't have to jump into the deluge that NCL, RCI, Princess and Celebrity will create. Yippee!

Hey... it is  or was his choice not to go.   He has nothing to complain about it was his decision.   Once I booked a long  cruise  for my wife an I.. She decided   not to go...  Fine   I went it... was her call  Marriage  is a cooperative partnership... not a prison .  A partner is free to participate or not in any activity...    He choose not to .... again HIS decision totaly