"To Dry For" New Blow Dry Bar- Questions

Prices in the regular salon/spa for a "Shampoo and Style Dry" for my upcoming 9-day Explorer cruise for short, medium, and long hair are $36, $40, and $50, respectively.  

That doesn't include the mandatory 18% tip or any additional conditioning treatments or any of the various bottles of styling products that they sell you so you can "do it yourself at home".  

To get an updo on medium hair is $57 and an updo on long hair is $67.  I don't think this includes washing and drying, because it's titled "Hair Upstyle Without Style Dry" (if you click on it, it doesn't give any more description).  

Who the heck wants to spend more than a drink package on their hair????? I guess if you have money and time to burn, go for it, but I have better things to do with my time and money!

Honestly, my hair looks like a rusted out Brillo Scrubbing Pad (hence my name), and the humidity in the Caribbean makes it even MORE curly and frizzy, and there is no way in heck I would let any stylist touch my hair to try to beat it into flatness with heat and silicones.  

Hair dryers and flat-irons and curling irons are all damaging your hair, no matter how much so-called "heat protectant" you use on it.  That's why stylists love to use them... your hair looks like dried frizzy straw, so you go and spend MORE money at the salon for "conditioning treatments" and you have to pay to have your split ends cut off every month, and on and on and on.

Just let your hair be wavy or curly and live your life... you can spend the money you save on booking more cruises!  LOL

As for the decision to put it in the Royal Promenade, I think the IDEA was that it would put the idea in women's minds that they didn't have to do a whole "spa" thing just to get a blow-out.  Most people just never go by the spa, so they don't even give it a thought, whereas everyone ends up walking through the Royal Promenade.  However, I think they would have been better off just setting up a kiosk offering appointments for a "quick blow-out in the salon" and using the space for something else. 

If the Blow-Dry Bar sits empty most of the time -- and honestly, this service is really only going to be used during the before-dinner hours -- it's not a good use of space for the other 20+ hours of the day.

I just live with my fine, wavy hair all the time. It is not fancy, and I towel dry it. But it is nice to have it styled once in a while. I might go for it once. And if people don't ...it will disappear. :classic_biggrin: But I don't think it will be on the ships that we are on. 

23 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Paying a fortune to use a blow dryer... 🙄 😱 👎

The Dry Bar franchises in the city provide  a cocktail or glass of wine along with the service. I wonder if Royal will do the same?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

My wife used to be a hair dresser (25 years ago).  Even then, she said that wash and dries were going out of style.  Women of a certain age still liked to have it done, but not younger women.  Maybe it's coming back??

It's pretty popular in big cities. DW works in Manhattan and passes one on the way to work. The concept is catching on because she found a regular private salon  on the same block that will do the same service for $20 but they don't offer a cocktail. We had a wedding in DC and she had booked an appointment online for $75 at a Dry Bar there. She stumbled upon this place a few weeks before the wedding and had her hair done on the way home from work the night before the wedding.  

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The Dry Bar franchises in the city provide  a cocktail or glass of wine along with the service. I wonder if Royal will do the same?

According to the video, yes... although I'd be willing to bet it's not much better than the "sparkling wine" they give out for free at some of the special events.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

According to the video, yes... although I'd be willing to bet it's not much better than the "sparkling wine" they give out for free at some of the special events.

I saw that video after I posted and thought the same thing about the sparkling wine. But I'm sure they aren't serving anything much better at Dry Bars on land. One of the guests at the wedding we went to did use the Dry Bar in DC and since it was a morning appointment she had  a Mimosa. Anything is fine when you mix cheap booze or wine with something.

Edited by Iamcruzin

21 hours ago, voyager70 said:

$100 average for a blow dry?  That seems a bit much.  Then again, I've never paid to have my hair blow dried so I have no idea what landside salons charge.

technically it's a blow out, which is supposed to last for several days without having to wash or restyle.