Cigarette cost

lele100

52 minutes ago, edjuljen said:

Recently aboard the Splendor (sailing from Long Beach, CA) and my recollection is Marlboro lights were about $54/carton

Really?  That’s what they cost here in Florida.  I remember them being cheaper then that

The price depends largely on state cigarette taxes in the port of departure.  Although Carnival purchases and sells cigarettes duty free, they price them to be below average prices ("a deal") in the port of departure.  So (just an example here, don't flame me about these example prices) that $54 carton might be a deal for the local California market on the Splendor,  But if Louisiana cigarette taxes are $10 lower a carton, Carnival will price that same carton at $44 on the Valor to hit a lower price point than the local Louisiana market and be "a deal" for Louisiana cruisers.

OP really needs to ask about prices on the same ship they are on (or at least leaving from the same port or state).

35 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The price depends largely on state cigarette taxes in the port of departure.  Although Carnival purchases and sells cigarettes duty free, they price them to be below average prices ("a deal") in the port of departure.  So (just an example here, don't flame me about these example prices) that $54 carton might be a deal for the local California market on the Splendor,  But if Louisiana cigarette taxes are $10 lower a carton, Carnival will price that same carton at $44 on the Valor to hit a lower price point than the local Louisiana market and be "a deal" for Louisiana cruisers.

OP really needs to ask about prices on the same ship they are on (or at least leaving from the same port or state).

Ok didn’t realize that mattered it will be out of Florida on the breeze

Also, for OP's sanity:  Do not expect that they will be the cigarettes you are accustomed to.  There are sometimes differences.  Last cruise, we got some Pall Malls that were brown-filtered and tasted different.  I also couldn't get the Camel Crushes that I wanted.

17 hours ago, coevan said:

most islands are less expensive than the ship, especially St.Thomas and St.Maarten

I agree and most islands will have your specific brand where the ship is limited to the amount of brands they carry.  And if you buy them in St. Thomas, you are allowed to bring more home duty free.  I think it was five cartons unless that has changed.

I don't smoke but looked this up.

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI)countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries.

The duty exemption for travelers returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands is $1,600. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in the U.S. Virgin Islands (keep your receipt). You may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa.

So if I am interpreting this correctly, then you will be allowed to bring in 200 cigarettes.  However, customs doesn't really enforce the amount unless you are bringing in cases and cases.

In regards to cost.  What I do for alcohol is look at the price at home, on-board, and then at port stops, then purchase accordingly.

23 hours ago, lele100 said:

Thanks for the suggestions but I am not going to those islands going to Western Caribbean 

Check duty free at the port and if Cozumel there is a store just outside the port that sells and will be cheaper. If I remember right, last year when I was in Cozumel I saw a sign in a store window advertising about $30 a carton.

It has been a few months, but if I remember correctly... the more cartons you buy, the less expensive they are.  Last cruise, they had a special buy 2 cartons get the 3rd carton free or something like that.  I think I pd about $105 for 3 cartons, which for me is cheap, they are $48 at home.  They do carry Marlboro brands, but not the "special" blend.  Regular Marlboro lights yes.

1 minute ago, Banditswife said:

It has been a few months, but if I remember correctly... the more cartons you buy, the less expensive they are.  Last cruise, they had a special buy 2 cartons get the 3rd carton free or something like that.  I think I pd about $105 for 3 cartons, which for me is cheap, they are $48 at home.  They do carry Marlboro brands, but not the "special" blend.  Regular Marlboro lights yes.

buy 3 get one free-I don't smoke but get for a friend

On Magic in June I paid $126 for 4 cartons of Marlboro Golds. I've seen them range from $115-130 for 4 cartons. If I stop in Cozumel, I will purchase there for around $110/4 cartons. 

4 cartons of Marlboro Special Blends would be about $240 at home in Louisiana. In my mind, I budget that in as a $100+ savings per cruise