Another Gala night dress question

LAgator

31 minutes ago, palolake said:

This will be our first cruise on HAL and I can't find this anywhere!  (including searching here)  Are there normally 2 Gala nights on a 7 day cruise?

Yes, usually 2 on a 7-day cruise. Rule of thumb is that they're on sea days, but never the night before disembarkation. If there aren't enough sea days, it's likely to be on a day where the ship leaves a port early. 

Don't feel bad that you couldn't find this info on the HAL site. It isn't there. Once your cruise docs are ready, it will be in there.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, usually 2 on a 7-day cruise. Rule of thumb is that they're on sea days, but never the night before disembarkation. If there aren't enough sea days, it's likely to be on a day where the ship leaves a port early. 

Don't feel bad that you couldn't find this info on the HAL site. It isn't there. Once your cruise docs are ready, it will be in there.

That's nice to know. Will they also tell us what days it will be on?

7 minutes ago, palolake said:

That's nice to know. Will they also tell us what days it will be on?

There should be a cruise planner overview of 'special events' in your cabin when you board. Gala Nights will be listed on that. 
It will also be in the daily program. That always has the dress code for that evening listed. 

I used to be one of those who wore Tuxedos on Formal Night, and loved it. There's really no other place that I ever get to dress like that, and so it was fun.  Yes ... if I was working the cruise as a chaplain, or for variation when not, I'd wear clerics, but that was just easy.

On my last cruise (2 years ago ... ugh!), I wore dark grey slacks, white dress shirt, tie, and black jacket on the Gala nights. It was easy ... the slacks were not heavy (indeed, they were much lighter than jeans), the white dress shirt got worn three times on the cruise, and the 3 different ties I brought for variety on those nights weighed next to nothing and took up almost no space rolled up in a corner of my carry-on. I didn't even have to pack the jacket ... I wore it on the plane (and, in addition to Gala nights, a few other nights on the cruise when I felt like dressing up a little bit and when we went to the Pinnacle).

The Gala Night outline of what is expected is, essentially (for men, at least), the old Smart Casual minimum.  Slacks and a collared shirt are an easy guideline to meet. If someone decides not to play along, I really don't care any more. I dress to suit myself (pun intended).

IMG_4873.jpg

• Like 2