Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LAgator

Another Gala night dress question

Recommended Posts

For Gala night.... I plan to wear the following as I do for business meetings, weddings, church, etc..

 

Black dress shoes

Nice, pressed dark dress Jean's

white starched shirt

black sports coat

 

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

 

So lets hear it-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd switch out the jeans for a pair of khakis.  Jeans, regardless of wash, are supposed to be for nights other than Gala night.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the FAQ:

 

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LAgator said:

 

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

 

Why ask the question if you already know the answer?  Are you really willing to accept any other answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since u asked... because if you are under the age of mid 50's... everyone knows that a nice pair of dress jeans, black dress shoes and a black jacket is actually a much dressier look and sharper look than a pair of "khakis"..

 

Khakis on a more formal night are tacky..

Have you ever seen a cowboy at a wedding, funeral, formal event in a nice pair of starched Jeans, boots, white starched shirt and a jacket and a black cowboy hat???

Prob the sharpest dressed people in the room.

 

I asked because I wanted other input... carry on TAXman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LAgator said:

since u asked... because if you are under the age of mid 50's... everyone knows that a nice pair of dress jeans, black dress shoes and a black jacket is actually a much dressier look and sharper look than a pair of "khakis"..

 

Khakis on a more formal night are tacky..

Have you ever seen a cowboy at a wedding, funeral, formal event in a nice pair of starched Jeans, boots, white starched shirt and a jacket and a black cowboy hat???

Prob the sharpest dressed people in the room.

 

I asked because I wanted other input... carry on TAXman

Thank you for proving my point 😉

p.s. This is not my first rodeo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LAgator said:

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

 

Having lived in many parts of the US and visiting many parts of the world, what is "very normal" in one place is out-of-place somewhere else even in the US. I think HAL is trying to set a consistent tone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I’ll dive in.

 

No jeans on Gala night.  A nice pair of dress pants or nice pants will more than do the trick.  I’m not a fan of khakis, but each to their own 😉 

 

If you need to save room for that one pair of pants, you don’t have to wear a sports jacket.  Just a nice collared shirt and a nice pair of pants. (So not hard to follow the minimum standard for the dress code).

 

In my part of the world, jeans (and yes I wear a very nice pair of black jeans on my plane flights in biz class) are not considered ‘dressy’.

 

of course, they work in the Lido or the Canaletto if you prefer that venue 😉 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a nice pair of slacks for Gala nights.

 

Leave the jacket at home if you don't have enough space to pack it.

 

We are among those who do not own any jeans -- just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LAgator said:

For Gala night.... I plan to wear the following as I do for business meetings, weddings, church, etc..

 

Black dress shoes

Nice, pressed dark dress Jean's

white starched shirt

black sports coat

 

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

 

So lets hear it-

That sounds nicer than what I plan on wearing - nice blue jeans and a button down shirt for me.  I don't own dress pants or a sports coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, xiphoid76 said:

That sounds nicer than what I plan on wearing - nice blue jeans and a button down shirt for me.  I don't own dress pants or a sports coat.

Have you got another plan if you are turned away from the MDR on formal night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LAgator said:

since u asked... because if you are under the age of mid 50's... everyone knows that a nice pair of dress jeans, black dress shoes and a black jacket is actually a much dressier look and sharper look than a pair of "khakis"..

 

Khakis on a more formal night are tacky..

Have you ever seen a cowboy at a wedding, funeral, formal event in a nice pair of starched Jeans, boots, white starched shirt and a jacket and a black cowboy hat???

Prob the sharpest dressed people in the room.

 

I asked because I wanted other input... carry on TAXman

Yes, it is the LA style to show up at expensive restaurants in pressed jeans to show a certain nonchalance toward money and power. There was also pride in being an insider and ordering off the menu or having the chef stop at the table for small talk. It’s something picked up by younger crowds. 

 

Personally, I like code switching and going with different styles depending on the occasion. My husband will wear his jeans on hikes but dark slacks in the MDR and Pinnacle—maybe even his black golf pants disguised as dress slacks.

 

Different styles in different parts of the country and different opinions of what the sharpest dressed people in the room might be. Since it’s already a written rule, I’m not sure why you asked, unless you wanted to open a thoughtful discussion of the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And not khaki, but a nice dark olive with the black jacket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rosmerta said:

Yes, it is the LA style to show up at expensive restaurants in pressed jeans to show a certain nonchalance toward money and power. There was also pride in being an insider and ordering off the menu or having the chef stop at the table for small talk. It’s something picked up by younger crowds. 

 

Personally, I like code switching and going with different styles depending on the occasion. My husband will wear his jeans on hikes but dark slacks in the MDR and Pinnacle—maybe even his black golf pants disguised as dress slacks.

 

Different styles in different parts of the country and different opinions of what the sharpest dressed people in the room might be. Since it’s already a written rule, I’m not sure why you asked, unless you wanted to open a thoughtful discussion of the matter.

Well... guess again.  The "LA" is for Louisiana.. 

Edited by LAgator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether CA, LA, or somewhere in between, everything you need to know about the dress code is on HAL's website and in the Know Before You Go document.  If you're confused about something written there, Cruise Critic is a good place to get clarification.  In this case, the dress code is explicit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Whether CA, LA, or somewhere in between, everything you need to know about the dress code is on HAL's website and in the Know Before You Go document.  If you're confused about something written there, Cruise Critic is a good place to get clarification.  In this case, the dress code is explicit.  

kind of like your OFFICIAL BOARDING time printed on your boarding pass...which is harshly enforced (sarcasm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very funny. LA and LA.

I did see a young man in his thirties dressed in pressed jeans with a jacket in a Michelin 2-star, but in Belgium, not France. It really did give the LA insouciance impression I used to see growing up in LA.

Anyway, your LA. explains the boots and black cowboy hat to go with the jeans. That would be dressy in certain parts, indeed, with a silver decorated belt and an expensive bolero tie. Those are the accessories that show respect in a dressy setting rather than insouciance. Anyway, it’s not about over fifty or under fifty— but about showing respect.

What about New Orleans, though? For a wedding, what would one wear as opposed to Breaux Bridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LAgator said:

For Gala night.... I plan to wear the following as I do for business meetings, weddings, church, etc..

 

Black dress shoes

Nice, pressed dark dress Jean's

white starched shirt

black sports coat

 

Having said that, is this acceptable?  This is a very normal way to dress in today's time for many occasions.... 

 

So lets hear it-

 

It does not matter what one wears when one is at home.

 

If one is a traveler and not a tourist, one will try to blend in with the customs of the locale in which one is traveling.

 

In this case you are on a cruise ship of a line that clearly explains the expectation of dress. 

 

So be a traveler, or dress like the tourist you are because "this is the way I dress in my little corner of the world and nobody else can have any other standards." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rosmerta said:

 

What about New Orleans, though? For a wedding, what would one wear as opposed to Breaux Bridge?

Image result for new orleans redneck joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP: 

Could you wear a stetson, too?  That would be perfect.  On our last Alaska cruise, many men in one group wore stetsons on regular nights in the dining room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly amazing that some are so concerned about what kind of pants some where to the MDR.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am starting to think that I should take my funeral suit on every cruise. And, to fit in with other passengers, look censoriously at everyone else. After all, this is The Holland America Line and there are standards to maintain.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really care what anybody wears on Gala nights. Unless it's super short shorts and a bare midriff wife beater. Then we might have a discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...