Another Gala night dress question

LAgator

6 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

I was joking but I've seen many a berobed and beslippered guest in the Lido - especially on Carribbean cruises.

I'm waiting to see one on Gala night in the MDR shouting for a 3rd and 4th lobster tail after downing their 5th Bud Light

You're more likely to see those folks in the Lido, where you can get 3 lobster tails, eat them, and go back for more. 

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I was looking at the dress code for women......"elegant dresses, skirts and slacks". I guess I shouldn't complain. At least slacks are the dress code. I'm not happy that capris are not mentioned for women.

Capris are totally acceptable

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I was looking at the dress code for women......"elegant dresses, skirts and slacks". I guess I shouldn't complain. At least slacks are the dress code. I'm not happy that capris are not mentioned for women.

You can wear capris on all the smart casual nights, no problem 😉 

My standard "dress du evening" (smart casual or gala) has become leggings or capris, some form of a tunic top (some dressier than others), ballet flats, and topped off with some pretty baubles.  My DH says I look awesome and that's the only person I dress to please.  And I have never had "a look" or a comment from a maître d' on any ship in any dining venue dressed like that.  Oh, and if it matters, I'm in my later 60s. 😉

Edited by zelker

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

OP hasn't been back here since July 22nd when he/she threw the grenade over the fence and ran, and here we are still going at it almost 2 months later. 😕

Anybody else besides me think we were trolled? 🤔

Actually, the thread went dead after about 3 days. It was over a month and a half later that someone bumped it, and now it's gone on for about another 3 days. 
This was one of two threads on the same topic, from the same time period, that the poster bumped that day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Actually, the thread went dead after about 3 days. It was over a month and a half later that someone bumped it, and now it's gone on for about another 3 days. 
This was one of two threads on the same topic, from the same time period, that the poster bumped that day. 

You beat me to it!  I had noticed the same coincidence and was thinkin' that it was the one who bumped who is the troll -- or the assistant troll.  That one's only other activity has been on RCI and NCL boards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, zelker said:

My standard "dress du evening" (smart casual or gala) has become leggings or capris, some form of a tunic top (some dressier than others), ballet flats, and topped off with some pretty baubles.  My DH says I look awesome and that's the only person I dress to please.  And I have never had "a look" or a comment from a maître d' on any ship in any dining venue dressed like that.  Oh, and if it matters, I'm in my later 60s. 😉

Can you 'splain "baubles" for my overall quality of life experience? Much obliged! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/13/2019 at 10:50 PM, zelker said:

Capris are totally acceptable

Thank you. This is exactly what I was referring to.......Capris are not mentioned in the suggested dress for women but they are acceptable. Someone up-thread said it is "selfish" not to follow the dress code. It actually isn't a dress code but "suggested dress".

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

"Shorts, pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants" is more than a suggestion. 

"Jeans, shorts and T-shirts are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants" is a statement and not a suggestion.

There is actually very little in the dress code that is a suggestion, unless you're really intent on ignoring it.  Focus on what they say is not allowed and you'll be following the dress code.

Edited by bEwAbG

The easy fix to threads like this is just do away with the 2 nights designated as "Gala" nights and just adopt the Smart Casual for all nights on the cruise. The Premium lines like O and VO are already doing this. Its a vacation folks and we should be allowed to wear what ever we are comfortable wearing maybe short of shorts and bathing suits.  This will eliminate turning the Maître D  and MDR Managers into the Fashion Police. I live in a destination vacation city and you will see anything from shorts to suits in our best 5 star restaurants.

For my  first cruise back in the late 1990's on Carnival, I bought a Tux to wear because I thought that was what was required and to my dismay even back then, I saw jeans and T shirts in the MDR on "Formal" nights. I kept that tux for 2 more cruises and then threw it out and I have not worn a tux or suit on any cruise since then. 

19 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

"On Gala night I plan to wear these clothes. Is this OK?"

HAL posters: "No."

"Ok, thanks. I'll wear them anyway and all of you are so lame."

That sums it up quite well.  A lot of people come on to Cruise Critic not to seek out information and guidance but to get other folks to approve their choice of clothes, food, accommodation, cabin size, etc so they can then feel better about themselves.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2019 at 6:23 AM, kazu said:

You can wear capris on all the smart casual nights, no problem 😉 

Hopefully, there is no problem wearing capris on gala nights also. As far as I understand, the way folks dress is a "suggestion", not a mandatory dress code.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, KroozNut said:

OP hasn't been back here since July 22nd when he/she threw the grenade over the fence and ran, and here we are still going at it almost 2 months later. 😕

Anybody else besides me think we were trolled? 🤔

Actually, it was me who resurrected this thread. This is our first cruise on HAL since our Zuiderdam cruise in 2001 and I was wondering if HAL passengers have joined what other cruise lines passengers have done in recent years.......dress casually on every night of the cruise no matter what the suggested dress is stated in the daily planner.

We all have NCL to thank for lightening up what passengers wear on their cruise vacations. NCL introduced "Freestyle Cruising" and they are the innovators of casual dress every night of your cruise vacation. Thank you, NCL.

Edited by coffeebean

It's either three or four; I can't remember. I had a 21-day cruise this summer, so I should know, but I am not sure. I think it was four, but won't swear to it. I know I had three Gala Night outfits with me, and think I wore one of them twice. 

1 hour ago, oceanmom said:

Three gala nights on our 14 night cruise last month.

Same here (3 on 14 last month).  

For our upcoming 40 night cruise, YVR to AKL, the eDocs specify 7 gala nights.  I will be wearing a lot of repeats of all my clothes on a cruise that long but thankfully we have complimentary laundry and dry cleaning.