Another Gala night dress question

LAgator

5 hours ago, LAgator said:

For Gala night.... I plan to wear the following ... 

So let's hear it-

You're completely fine.       In fact, that's my office uniform ...  although my preferred footwear is pebbled leather chisel toe Blundstones.  And let's be honest, you're still quite a few tiers above the oft-referred flats, yoga pants (er designer leggings), 'sparkly' top, and black pashmina.  Cruise lines have quickly adapted to fact that there is only a very thin erudite wedge of their customers who are travelling on Super Elite status and are dragging three 32kg bags of changes of clothes.    What you're wearing more than respects the intent of the dress code, despite your egregious pant fabric choice / technical fault.  We won't discuss how many collared golf shirts one pair of 7 For All Mankind will run you. 

HAL-igans, YMMV.   

Scott.    

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I am starting to think that I should take my funeral suit on every cruise. And, to fit in with other passengers, look censoriously at everyone else. After all, this is The Holland America Line and there are standards to maintain.

FIVE bonus points awarded for the use of 'censoriously' .   

Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

44 minutes ago, LAgator said:

1698aadaa34446d799af167913caffec.jpg

Barn weddings are very popular where I live. He looks great dressed for such an occasion. A tux would look a little strange in this setting if the tables were turned—no pun intended.

Hold the presses—180–degree change in position. 

nice and pressed and dark dress— I do think they’d pass if they are truly dark especially with the white starched shirt and black jacket.

The ones in Belguim in the 2-star were clearly blue, looked like ordinary Levi’s but you said dark, pressed, dress, etc. 

You’ll probably look very nice.

• Like 1

I wear black jeans, heels and white shirt with tux style jacket to most gala nights ... my hubby something very similar but he forgoes the heels 👠😆 .  I really don’t get why so many of you have an issue with jeans ... I wear jeans of various shades to just about every event including shock horror a wedding 🎩👰 it’s about how you wear the clothes not what fabric they’re made from 

• Like 2

To clarify—I think you’d pass because these are dark dress jeans. I don’t think anyone would notice, based on your description of the garment.  

If you make a point about what you are wearing when you get to the MDR, that puts the HAL personnel into a difficult position because the rule is on the books.  But I don’t think anyone will notice if they are dark.

As we who are over fifty pass on, you young ones will... ( fill in the blank).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lovely other said:

I really don’t get why so many of you have an issue with jeans ...

Very simple: Because jeans are in violation of the dress code on Gala nights.

HAL made the rule, not CC posters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lovely other said:

I wear black jeans, heels and white shirt with tux style jacket to most gala nights ... my hubby something very similar but he forgoes the heels 👠😆 .  I really don’t get why so many of you have an issue with jeans ... I wear jeans of various shades to just about every event including shock horror a wedding 🎩👰 it’s about how you wear the clothes not what fabric they’re made from 

Fashion is all about displaying social status.  'Jeans' were invented for miners to wear as sturdy work clothes in the California Gold Rush by a trader named Levi Strauss.  Some still see jeans as 'work clothes'.   Wearing jeans means you're a common laborer.  If you're seen with someone wearing jeans, then you must be a common laborer too. 

8 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

From the FAQ:

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

On my recent cruise, I would have been quite happy to see clean, pressed jeans on Gala night rather than some of the sights.... ball caps (backwards, of course) crumpled t-shirts, overalls - the dress code per HAL was definitely not in evidence.

• Like 1

The OP asked if his outfit met the dress code for Gala Night.  It does not if he wears jeans. Whether anyone at HAL will notice or say anything is beside the point.  If they do, then the OP should not be put-out if requested to change.

I didn't express an opinion about appropriateness one way or the other.  Nor did I question why someone's first post on CC from a brand new account would be about jeans in the dining room...

• Like 7

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Fashion is all about displaying social status.  'Jeans' were invented for miners to wear as sturdy work clothes in the California Gold Rush by a trader named Levi Strauss.  Some still see jeans as 'work clothes'.   Wearing jeans means you're a common laborer.  If you're seen with someone wearing jeans, then you must be a common laborer too. 

FASHION STATUS??!!??  Oh good GRIEF!!  REALLY??!!??  I can't believe someone in this day and age would even say that with any seriousness. 

And to put it in perspective, according to this article, the value of the global denim jeans market in 2018 was $66 BILLION (US), and is projected to climb to $85 BILLION (US) by 2025.  https://www.statista.com/statistics/734419/global-denim-jeans-market-retail-sales-value/   That's an awful lot of us "common laborers" buying jeans!  Oh, and I recommend you stay away from Colorado if jeans offend you that much since that's our "State Wardrobe Staple" … and no, we're not all ranchers, laborers, miners, and low-lifes and further, we do not judge people based on their wardrobe.

• Like 3

I've tried to clarify my thinking on this matter.   I do like the 'dress up' part of cruising but perhaps it's a generational Boomer thing.   Why do we dress up for anything?

When I went to elementary school girls weren't allowed to wear pants except for snow days.   Sounds antiquated now.

On the other hand, my millennial daughter was impressed with her first cruise - Cunard - and said she felt like she was on Downton Abbey.   Now that's a unique experience.   She chose our upcoming cruise on HAL as opposed to other cruise line options to avoid being with 'slobby drunks.'   I think she's seen some Youtube videos of badly behaving cruisers.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, zelker said:

FASHION STATUS??!!??  Oh good GRIEF!!  REALLY??!!??  I can't believe someone in this day and age would even say that with any seriousness. 

And to put it in perspective, according to this article, the value of the global denim jeans market in 2018 was $66 BILLION (US), and is projected to climb to $85 BILLION (US) by 2025.  https://www.statista.com/statistics/734419/global-denim-jeans-market-retail-sales-value/   That's an awful lot of us "common laborers" buying jeans!  Oh, and I recommend you stay away from Colorado if jeans offend you that much since that's our "State Wardrobe Staple" … and no, we're not all ranchers, laborers, miners, and low-lifes and further, we do not judge people based on their wardrobe.

My good friend, I'm as much a fan of blue jeans as anyone in the State of Colorado.  After all, I grew up in Oklahoma.  I think the animosity towards blue jeans is misplaced.

However, a bit of research will show you that fashion has always been about displaying social status.  If you doubt that, I suggest  you listen to a bunch of teenagers.

• Like 2

I have been on cruises where nice jeans were allowed on gala night and then I have been on cruises where I saw people turned away to return later with different pants. I have also seen them turned away because of their shirts or dress but it depends on the head staff in the dinning room as to what they allow. Usually the rule is looser on short cruises. It is not what we on CC think looks nice but how the rule is enforced on your cruise. 

I can't win.  I tried to appease both sides of the "jeans at Gala" issue when I suggested to just replace the jeans with khakis.  Khakis have always been associated with "country club casual" where I live (dinner in the clubhouse is filled with men in their khakis/chinos and golf shirts or Tommy Bahama shirts)  and "ccc" is what HAL has moved to for Gala Night.  I guess I should have said chinos instead - a little nicer than khakis and come in colors...  

• Like 1

I'll admit that while on board, on a gala night, I'm usually not looking at others and wondering if what they have on is acceptable. That said, I've typically worn my tux (OK, I'm older) I'm not bringing the tux to AK next week but I will have a pair of black slacks. Clearly the accepted dress codes are changing. 40 years ago I had to wear a suit every day to work. Up until 2 years ago we could only wear jeans on "casual Fridays" - I suspect that HAL struggles with appeasing their traditional clientele and looking to appeal to the younger crowd they need to survive - hence the latitude granted to their dining room hosts. As has been mentioned, the call gets made as you arrive at the front of the line for a table. If you get turned away there are certainly options without putting up a fight and ruining your evening and that of those around you (including the DR host).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Oh please 🙄 The world has changed, fashion is more about your own sense of style and how each individual wishes to dress. I’ll stick with the “common labourers” I think ... 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

On my recent cruise, I would have been quite happy to see clean, pressed jeans on Gala night rather than some of the sights.... ball caps (backwards, of course) crumpled t-shirts, overalls - the dress code per HAL was definitely not in evidence.

Overalls?!!  C'mon, now yur just funnin' us.

We think that the revised dress code is excellent and that it meets the wishes of todays cruisers.  We will have no problem in following it.

Do we care if others do the same?  Absolutely not.  Bottom line for us is that despite the guidelines, if on board MDR management allow a deviation then it is fine with us.  We respect their decision.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2