Cruising in April from NY/NJ

Hi gang!  

I have a question for anyone who cruised this year or last year or recently, in April, from NY/NJ.

I have only done one cruise in April from NY, and I was very disappointed.  Cold weather from NY to Bahamas, very rough seas, rain, etc.

We are discussing another family cruise in 2020 and we seem to be leaning towards going on the kids spring break (4-5 - 4-11)

I am concerned about getting lousy weather again and very rough seas, leaving from NY/NJ.

I see that Carnival no longer even offers a cruise at that time, except leaving from Baltimore. 

Did anyone go this year or last who has an opinion?  Is it common t get bad weather in April, or was i just unlucky?

Any feedback would be great if anyone cruised during that time :)

Thanks!

If you sail on the Anthem there is plenty to do indoors as the ship was built for cold weather sailing  with 3 pools, 2 of which are indoor.  Also there are bumper cars, etc indoors.  It's been a long time since we've sailed in April so my general experience may not be helpful  especially since it was late April.

A lot depends on what you define 'bad weather' as.

If you're hoping for 'shorts' weather and the opportunity to sunbathe on deck, you may still be disappointed.  It's rare for it to get that warm when sailing out of the Northeast during that time of year.

We sailed out of NY on a gorgeous May Sunday one year - almost 70 degrees - and by the time we were under the Verrazano Bridge and hitting more than 15 knots, it got pretty cool.  At 22 knots, the outside decks were unbearable at night it was so cold.

You are likely to have nice weather in the Bahamas, but it still may only be 75 degrees or so.

13 hours ago, msmayor said:

We have sailed many, many times from NY/NJ mostly in January, and it's all up to Mother Nature. Many times people were in hot tubs and pools on day one-wearing shorts, sometimes in June weather so windy outside decks closed. You can never predict how it will be

Safe sailing 

We have sailed Quantum and Anthem out of Bayonne many times in Jan., Feb., April and May.  Weather is unpredictable but usually by 2nd evening we can enjoy a few hours on the balcony.  Enjoy all the events and venues on the ship during the first 2 days!

The weather in April in NY/NJ is always hit or miss; could get warm spring days, could get snowstorms.  Being on the water will make it even colder than the usual experience on land.  If you're worried about cold weather leaving the NY area, I agree with other posters and say book the Anthem of the Seas on RCI.  This ship has been built for cold weather sailings and has 2 out of 3 of their pools indoors, their sports center is fully indoors (why it's taken so long for cruise lines to put their ping pong tables indoors is beyond me!), and the inside promenade is warm and roomy.  I sailed out of NJ last November on Anthem and while the temps outside were cold, we still had a great time.

Sailing from New York to the Caribbean usually puts you in the Gulf Stream by mid- afternoon of the first day - of course, the weather can be bad, but hardly cold. Going to the Bahamas is different - you are closer to the coast - west of the Gulf Stream and in waters 20 or more degrees cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:01 PM, cb at sea said:

We've had HOT Aprils...and we've had snow in April....you never know what next year will bring!

Especially when you live in VIRGINIA  !   What??