Glass balconies on Oceana?

alsa

Hi 😊

we are toying with booking Oceana and can’t decide balcony or inside (inside being nearly £2000 less!). We always have a balcony cabin but I am to sure about the ones on Oceana.  They look ‘cave like’ with part metal/full metal railings.  We have always had glass ones that are very open.  I spoke to P&O this morning and she assured me that it’s only the baconies at the front of the ship that are metal and that the others are all glass - I’m not sure if this is true?  Has anyone been on and had a glass balcony? And if so can you remember the cabin number? Looking forward to replies!

as you can see from the pictures - very different.  I know the glass one is Azura but I can’t find a picture of an Oceana one to show you what I mean by ‘open glass balcony’ - another reason to think they are all metal!

BE54C66E-3870-4BB1-B103-6C8D7B9E1BC3.jpeg

BB665FE3-3E8E-46F4-8562-0CA6A03FEBFA.jpeg

They don't have glass fronts - or the ones I've had didn't. I've been on B an C decks in various cabins mid-ships to aft and all our balconies were built into the sub-structure so a metal front - topped by bars and a hand-rail just like in your photo #2

Edited by tartanexile81

All Oceana balconies are of the "Hull Cutout" type with a small metal railing across the lower part for safety.  Some of the ones on the aft don't have railings just a high metal arrangement.  In general they are very narrow about Britannia depth and not a good feature.

Regards John

I quite like the balconies - like the chance to put my feet up on the ledge, my drinks go on another ledge and it s relaxing. Like the glass balconies too though :-)

On a different note - whoever told you all balcony cabins apart from those at the front were glass needs serious retraining !!!

We only book at least a balcony which is one of the reasons we do not book Oceana any more. The glass fronted balconies on other ships are so much better, Oceana's are just like an ocean view with the window removed. And the bathroom has to be one of the smallest we've ever come across.

31 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We had this 'cut out hull' type of balcony on Aurora and didn't take to it at all, quite dark and too enclosed for us.

For the saving, I would book the inside next time.

Andy

Snap, although we would choose an ocean view because I like a bit of daylight. The cut outs severely restrict the sunlight on the balcony as a result we did not enjoy them anywhere near as much as those on Azura and Ventura.

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I quite like the balconies - like the chance to put my feet up on the ledge, my drinks go on another ledge and it s relaxing. Like the glass balconies too though 🙂

On a different note - whoever told you all balcony cabins apart from those at the front were glass needs serious retraining !!!

Yes I think I should ring her back!  She was adamant and said she was on it in December and what a lovely view she had through the glass 😂

on another note, I see you have sailed Celebrity in the past, this is our favourite cruise line, we recently went on Equinox and Reflection and followed that with Britannia and I’m afraid it just didn’t match up to Celebrity!  That’s my worry with going on Oceana, but no one else does such a good itinerary with Croatia included.  

1 hour ago, alsa said:

Yes I think I should ring her back!  She was adamant and said she was on it in December and what a lovely view she had through the glass 😂

on another note, I see you have sailed Celebrity in the past, this is our favourite cruise line, we recently went on Equinox and Reflection and followed that with Britannia and I’m afraid it just didn’t match up to Celebrity!  That’s my worry with going on Oceana, but no one else does such a good itinerary with Croatia included.  

Funnily enough we were on one of Celebrity's older ships Connie last August and thought that Oceana knocked spots off her. If that had been our first Celebrity cruise it wld have been our last. We had a great cabin but it lacked something. Oceana was our first proper cruise after Ocean Village and we will always have a soft spot warts and all. I think we had our best cruise overall on her 2 years ago ever. Go prepared and you will love her. Just do your research and go knowing what she is ... if that makes sense.

Edited by Presto2

It served it's purpose well and we saw pictures before booking, so knew what it was.  Bathroom was huge having a spa bath AND a seperate large shower. Cabin was superb and well worth the money. If I did PO again I would book the same.

Edited by Pentlands

21 hours ago, alsa said:

I prefer Britannia over the Solstice Class in general so lucky we've all got the choice. We're doing a cruise on Infinity in 3 weeks and I'd compare that more with Oceana.  That cruise also includes Croatia and sailing from Venice we've got Slovenia, Croatia x4 ports, Montenegro, Sicily, Majorca, Ibiza, Valencia and Barcelona which we think is a cracking itinerary. Don't know if they're doing it next year. I don't fly so we're going to Italy by train and having  a few days in the lakes before heading to Venice.  I just wish P&O would offer this kind of cruise from Southampton 

Edited by tartanexile81

1 hour ago, tartanexile81 said:

I prefer Britannia over the Solstice Class in general so lucky we've all got the choice. We're doing a cruise on Infinity in 3 weeks and I'd compare that more with Oceana.  That cruise also includes Croatia and sailing from Venice we've got Slovenia, Croatia x4 ports, Montenegro, Sicily, Majorca, Ibiza, Valencia and Barcelona which we think is a cracking itinerary. Don't know if they're doing it next year. I don't fly so we're going to Italy by train and having  a few days in the lakes before heading to Venice.  I just wish P&O would offer this kind of cruise from Southampton 

Am guessing that Infinity is the same class as Constellation. If so, we prefer Oceana to Connie.

We had one of the best cabins on Connie but have booked Oceana standard balcony for 2020

Each to their own -- that is why there are so many cruise lines :-)

Now a cruise and stay in Lake Garda would get our vote any day !!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Am guessing that Infinity is the same class as Constellation. If so, we prefer Oceana to Connie.

We had one of the best cabins on Connie but have booked Oceana standard balcony for 2020

Each to their own -- that is why there are so many cruise lines :-)

41 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Now a cruise and stay in Lake Garda would get our vote any day !!!!

Ive not been on Connie but we had such a bad experience on Oceana last time we were on her (35 days Caribbean) it put us off. Let's see how I feel after Infinity!!  Really looking forward to our stay in Italy - a few years since we've taken the train so we can cruise and stay but getting excited with just 3 weeks to go

Ive not been on Connie but we had such a bad experience on Oceana last time we were on her (35 days Caribbean) it put us off. Let's see how I feel after Infinity!!  Really looking forward to our stay in Italy - a few years since we've taken the train so we can cruise and stay but getting excited with just 3 weeks to go

We have stayed in Riva del Garda a few times and to link that with a cruise would be amazing !!!