Future cruise deposit question

tillys mom

We plan to take our granddaughter on a Med cruise for her high school graduation. She finishes school in 2021, and those cruises are just now opening up. My question is about our future cruise deposits - how do I reserve her cabin when she has no idea which of her friends may be going with her. Do I just use one deposit and book as a single or do I put down 2 deposits and put in a name to change later if necessary?

Thanks for your help.

I would work with a T.A. once the cruises open for booking, mid August. I'm assuming you are currently wife, husband and granddaughter. It could be beneficial to book husband plus one in one cabin and then wife and granddaughter in another. The plus one could be one of the grandchild's parents or other relative. You could change the relative to the actual person going at a later date, before final payment. Booking this way you would be able to change up cabins once on board. You might receive additional OBC or benefits. There are some conditions which you should be aware of when booking someone under 21, although you seem to fall under the family group provision.

"No Guest under 21 years of age is permitted to book a cruise, and any Guest under 21 years of age must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision."

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

Just put down the one deposit for your granddaughter. You can always add people to your booking last second. 

Not advisable because last second there might be no more bookings due to life boat capacities in her category. 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Not advisable because last second there might be no more bookings due to life boat capacities in her category. 

Do it all the time, never had that problem. Added a second guest to my already booked cabin whether it's 2 months prior to sailing or 4 days prior. Grant you I don't think the OP is looking for that close of a call if adding an additional pax. (4 days prior)

• Like 1

International law is that the ship must have enough life boats to accommodate all on board the ship.  So the ship has to have enough space for all beds/pax and the crew with some extra.  If one has a cabin for 3 or 4 then there must be room for 3 or 4 in the life boats.  One can add pax to a cabin as long as there are enough beds to accommodate them.  It simply means more revenue for the ship when pax are added to an existing reservation. 

4 hours ago, tillys mom said:

My question is about our future cruise deposits - how do I reserve her cabin when she has no idea which of her friends may be going with her. Do I just use one deposit and book as a single or do I put down 2 deposits and put in a name to change later if necessary?

Are you asking about using Future Cruise Deposits? Or are you asking about booking a future cruise with the regular deposit?

Either way, FWIW...I think you should book a second person as a place holder (subject to change later).

If it is booked as a single it is easier to add 1 to make it 2 in a cabin.

As far as adding a 3rd or 4th you may be in for a rude awakening if you wait too long to add that 3rd or 4th person to the cabin.

Not only does it have to be a cabin that will hold the additional passengers but the capacity issue mentioned a couple of times in this thread already can be a major concern.

If the section where the cabin is located has already reached capacity (fire/lifeboat) max then you will not be able to add anyone.

For example I once attempted to add my son (by himself) in an OV cabin on Emerald deck. (Ruby Princess)

It was about 6 weeks to sailing and the cabin area/section was maxed out (for capacity) so they denied the booking and the cabin sailed empty.

• Like 1