I just booked our first Princess cruise!

K.T.B.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

we have one booked for 2021.  :classic_wink:

But on the non-formal nights, basically every other night in the dining room, how casual can one get?  I'm not talking shorts and t-shirt casual, but jeans and button down shirt.

You'll be fine. We were in CC dining and my son who is 38 wore a baseball cap, nice jeans and shirt and didn't have an issue. However, as far as the hat goes, he stopped wearing it after the 2nd or 3rd day. He wasn't trying to make a statement. It's just part of his attire. On formal night, we both wore a long sleeve dress shirt and tie (no sport coat). Other folks in some cases wore a tux or a suit, but others like us just wore a nice shirt and maybe a tie. You may want to consider bringing at least a pair of dockers along for formal nights, but that's just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

But on the non-formal nights, basically every other night in the dining room, how casual can one get?  I'm not talking shorts and t-shirt casual, but jeans and button down shirt.

Jeans or Dockers will be fine, as long as they're not holey or frayed. I wear pants like these most of the time, and they are super comfortable, while looking a little nicer than jeans.

https://www.crazyshirts.com/product/casual-navy-pants-1023915.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=104941

And a polo or button shirt will work fine. Actually, for breakfast or lunch in the MDR, there's no reason not to wear shorts. I think on non-formal nights, it'll be pretty much like Celebrity.

Jim

37 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

And a polo or button shirt will work fine. Actually, for breakfast or lunch in the MDR, there's no reason not to wear shorts. I think on non-formal nights, it'll be pretty much like Celebrity.

Jim

Celebrity was pretty relaxed the last time I sailed with them, but that was also Alaska.  

But here's a recent photo of what I would typically wear on a Caribbean cruise (one of many shirts my wife has made for me!):

52961847_2589604287723472_7121249574282330112_o.jpg

We are now Platinum on Princess. We went on 3 cruises last year. The PC on the Coal Princess, the East Coast on the Regal Princess, and Italy/ Greece on The Celebrity Reflection. Holy Cow! Princess now has our undying loyalty. Are they perfect? No.

As cruisequeen4ever said: Celebrity is a bit snootier, more expensive for drinks etc. and the food on the Regal was fantastic. The public areas were very enjoyable. Unlike many other Princess cruisers, we were not a fan of the Coral especially for that long of a cruise. The food was mediocre and we preferred the plans of the Golden and Regal much more. 

Before we booked our PC trip, I did much research and decided on the Coral vs. the Island. However, the feeling on Princess is much more for us. We felt so closed in on the Reflection- Princess has lovely and open atriums and common areas that we love. Vines is one of them. Enjoy! Note: We have also been on HAL, but the ship felt like a bucket of bolts (an older ship though, to be fair).

On 8/10/2019 at 1:21 AM, K.T.B. said:

Celebrity was pretty relaxed the last time I sailed with them, but that was also Alaska.  

But here's a recent photo of what I would typically wear on a Caribbean cruise (one of many shirts my wife has made for me!):

52961847_2589604287723472_7121249574282330112_o.jpg

Love the shirt

On 8/4/2019 at 12:17 AM, neverbeenhere said:

Good: there aren’t a million really drunk people 

bad: there aren’t a million really drunk people

good: laid back atmosphere 

of course, bad: laid back atmosphere 

good: food is generally good

good: entertainment, get there early

good: stateroom setup

good: staterooms are generally ready when you board 

Panama Canal cruise: you are required to read a book like your college degree depends on it. The book is... The Path between the seas. - it’s long, but you can get it cheap. Start reading it now, not next week, now!!!

Neverbeenhere,

I thought you were my friend? You for to mention they may be lucky enough to be on the cruise with The Captain of The Rowboat. 😁😁

Your Pal,

42AE9A0C-EB1C-43D9-8573-F759FA7A2F73.jpeg