Leaving Bermuda at Noon

ugadawgfan

We will be on the Carnival Sunshine in Bermuda in September.  We arrive at 10 am and will stay overnight.  We have an island tour scheduled with one of the locals on the first day.  Any good ideas of what we can do the second day?  We leave at noon so back on board time will be 11:30.  Would love to go to a beach or snorkel.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, ugadawgfan said:

We will be on the Carnival Sunshine in Bermuda in September.  We arrive at 10 am and will stay overnight.  We have an island tour scheduled with one of the locals on the first day.  Any good ideas of what we can do the second day?  We leave at noon so back on board time will be 11:30.  Would love to go to a beach or snorkel.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since you are leaving so early I would probably book a Carnival excursion if you want to snorkel that morning. 

• Like 1

While I haven't been to Bermuda yet, I've been doing lots of research for our trip in about 30 days. Since you have very limited time on departure day, you might want to check out Snorkel Park Beach. I've read that it's not the best snorkeling, but they do have gear and rentals and are located right at the Dockyard, so no transportation involved and only $5 entry fee per person

http://snorkelparkbeach.com/

1 hour ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

While I haven't been to Bermuda yet, I've been doing lots of research for our trip in about 30 days. Since you have very limited time on departure day, you might want to check out Snorkel Park Beach. I've read that it's not the best snorkeling, but they do have gear and rentals and are located right at the Dockyard, so no transportation involved and only $5 entry fee per person

http://snorkelparkbeach.com/

I rarely recommend Snorkel Park, but I agree that in this situation it's probably the best choice.

17 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I rarely recommend Snorkel Park, but I agree that in this situation it's probably the best choice.

Agreed-- its not ideal, as its not really the nicest beach in Bermuda by a long shot, but its within walking distance to the ship. Even if you could squeeze in some swimming before or after your tour the first day would be emphatically better but if the last day is the only day you can, then it might be the best bet. 

On the second day you may want to go to Snorkel Park Beach , or visit the many lovely shops in the Dockyard area.  Bring a watch set to ships time, and don't be late to reboard.

I love to go to the Glass Factory at the Dockyard.  So many interesting items there.

If you really want decent snorkeling, wake up early and take a taxi to Jobson's Cove. It's about 30 minutes from King's Wharf in Warwick Parish, one parish over from Southhampton Parish (where Horseshoe Bay is located). By early, I mean, aim to get to the beach around 8 or 9 at the latest.

Ask the driver to return to pick you up at 10 or 10:30. This is plenty of time to get back to the ship for a noon departure.

For convenience, as others have mentioned, there is the snorkel park at the dockyard, but that place has enough 1 star reviews on TripAdvisor that I would avoid it. We have never gone there.

Jobson's cove is filled with parrotfish and other interesting specimens. We really enjoy going there. If you want to ride the waves a little bit, Warwick Long Bay just a few steps away.

Edited by richg35

1 hour ago, richg35 said:

If you really want decent snorkeling, wake up early and take a taxi to Jobson's Cove. It's about 30 minutes from King's Wharf in Warwick Parish, one parish over from Southhampton Parish (where Horseshoe Bay is located). By early, I mean, aim to get to the beach around 8 or 9 at the latest.

Ask the driver to return to pick you up at 10 or 10:30. This is plenty of time to get back to the ship for a noon departure.

That would be pushing their luck. What if the taxi does not show up? I strongly advise against depending on a driver to return when they have to get back for a noon departure. When I arrived at that parking area in June there was a lady stranded there. Luckily my minibus driver agreed to take her to Horseshoe to catch a taxi. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That would be pushing their luck. What if the taxi does not show up? I strongly advise against depending on a driver to return when they have to get back for a noon departure.

This would be a great situation to use Hitch! You can have a driver come and get you by hailing them on your phone.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That would be pushing their luck. What if the taxi does not show up? I strongly advise against depending on a driver to return when they have to get back for a noon departure. When I arrived at that parking area in June there was a lady stranded there. Luckily my minibus driver agreed to take her to Horseshoe to catch a taxi. 

Taxi drivers (and many Bermudians) make their livings off tourism. A taxi driver with a guaranteed fare is not going to ditch it. We always make it clear that we require a return pickup before boarding. We have had taxis pick us up as far away as Clearwater Beach to come back to King's Wharf and have never had an issue. I guess anything is possible, but if all else fails, the #7 bus has a stop at Warwick Long Bay, and 90 minutes would be plenty of time to get back.

Edited by richg35

1 hour ago, richg35 said:

Taxi drivers (and many Bermudians) make their livings off tourism. A taxi driver with a guaranteed fare is not going to ditch it. We always make it clear that we require a return pickup before boarding. We have had taxis pick us up as far away as Clearwater Beach to come back to King's Wharf and have never had an issue. I guess anything is possible, but if all else fails, the #7 bus has a stop at Warwick Long Bay, and 90 minutes would be plenty of time to get back.

Sorry but I have read reports of taxi drivers in Bermuda who said they were going to return failing to do so. Same with the Hitch app. No guarantee a taxi will show up from Hitch. The last place you want to be on the last day is a location that taxis don’t usually frequent. 

As for the bus if all else fails, the morning I went to Warwick Long Bay this past June the transportation workers union decided to with little warning to have a meeting from 10:00 am to 2 pm  and there were no buses or ferries. 

Edited by Charles4515