New Zealand NZeTA

Starting in October of this year people traveling to New Zealand from transit visa waiver countries will now need a NZeTA for New Zealand when arriving by Cruise Ship.

This includes passport holders from USA, Canada and several other countries.

This is a change from the past.  Obtaining the NZeTA is similar to getting an ETA for Australia.  

I signed up for notification as to when the application process would begin (originally targeted for mid-July, then end of July and notification received last night that the

on-line applications can be submitted via the website.  Very shortly an app on an IOS device can be used as well.

This link will take you to the website where you can apply for the NZeTA and where pretty much all of your questions can be answered.  I would suggest reading the information there as it will tell you what is required when arriving by cruise ship, airplane ,etc.  and who needs and is eligible for this and who is not.  

The process is simpler than I had thought when initial information was provided and while it says the turn around time can be up to 72 hours our approval was given in minutes from submission.  i suspect this might vary based on answers to the questions.

To apply you will need information from your passports available and a credit card.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta

Keith

39 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Easy schmeazy. Took 10 minutes. $47 per.

And that is in NZ currency.  😀

Will be less for many.  For those in the USA it should be slghtly less than $32.00 based on today's exchange rates if using a credit card without a Foreign Transaction Fee.  

On a related note the NZ site takes Master Card and Visa Credit Cards.

Also experienced the fastest turnaround for an Australia ETA than ever before.  Took a couple of minutes.  At todays' exchange rate USA citizen will pay about $13.50 in USA dollars assuming they use a Credit Card without a foreign transaction fee.  😀

Australia site takes additional cards beyond Master Card and Visa.

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

The NZeTA app is also now available for iOS devices such as an iPhone/iPad.

It allows you to scan your passport using the app.

Keith

Hi Keith.

I took a look at the website and didn't see an answer to this without starting an application. Have they done away with the requirement for a picture??

Larry

Just now, Roland4 said:

Hi Keith.

I took a look at the website and didn't see an answer to this without starting an application. Have they done away with the requirement for a picture??

Larry

Yes, yes, yes.  No photo. Thank goodness.  :classic_biggrin:

If you choose to use the App they do scan a copy of your passport, but when you do the on line application on the website no photo similar to Australia. 

keith

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes, yes, yes.  No photo. Thank goodness.  :classic_biggrin:

If you choose to use the App they do scan a copy of your passport, but when you do the on line application on the website no photo similar to Australia. 

keith

Thank goodness they "saw the light" on the photo requirement. I never did understand the point of it!

Thanks.

Larry

I think their web site is still a work in progress. When I first went to it there was a lot of stuff to fill out before I could even request a visa. Several hours later I tried again and voila! There was a link for cruise passengers. All I had to do was fill out basic info and passport number and expiration and enter. Came back approved in less than 10 minutes as opposed to the first try which took 45 minutes and was unsuccessful. 

Fortunately Australian Citizens (as opposed to Australian Residents who are not Citizens) don’t require this 

Seems fair enough - there’s little difference to the Visa Waivers the US, Australia, Canada have required for many years, although the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) is a bit rich as tourists are bringing considerable spend to the country anyway - just another Government tax that is unavoidable 

Be wary about using websites for ESTA and ETA and on line visas and the like. Some websites are the official govt websites where you pay the fee only. Others are authorised websites which charge the fee plus a handling fee. A bit of research on line will quickly show you which is what.  If travelling around Europe this is common to come across what appear to be the govt websites but are actually official websites allowed to transact the business and charge a fee.  be careful out there.

The reason for the ETA for NZ is purely a tourist tax to pay for infrastructure paid for by locals to cater for tourists. It is the easiest way to capture everyone. Aussies and Singaporeans I think are excluded because of trade agreements

11 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

The reason for the ETA for NZ is purely a tourist tax to pay for infrastructure paid for by locals to cater for tourists. It is the easiest way to capture everyone. Aussies and Singaporeans I think are excluded because of trade agreements

Where does it say Singaporean’s are exempt? 

The ETA is about border security like the US ETSA. It’s the EVL that supposedly pays for infrastructure - it’s interesting other countries don’t have such a tax. Of course no one is not going to visit because of it but why they don’t just tax the airlines and cruise companies for it on a per passenger basis I don’t know 

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

Be wary about using websites for ESTA and ETA and on line visas and the like. Some websites are the official govt websites where you pay the fee only. Others are authorised websites which charge the fee plus a handling fee. A bit of research on line will quickly show you which is what.  If travelling around Europe this is common to come across what appear to be the govt websites but are actually official websites allowed to transact the business and charge a fee.  be careful out there.

Australian citizens get residency on arrival, we can live and work in NZ. (Assuming one meets character requirements).

9 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

Australian citizens get residency on arrival, we can live and work in NZ. (Assuming one meets character requirements).

It's the Trans Tasman Travel Arrangement. Allows free travel of citizens both ways - no visas required.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

It's the Trans Tasman Travel Arrangement. Allows free travel of citizens both ways - no visas required.

Not quite true, no application for a visa is required as a Special Category Visa (SCV) is automatically provided.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not quite true, no application for a visa is required as a Special Category Visa (SCV) is automatically provided.

Not quite true. The Special category visa is only relevant under the Australian side, for New Zealand arrivals.

No visa is required for Australian citizens visiting New Zealand.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Not quite true. The Special category visa is only relevant under the Australian side, for New Zealand arrivals.

No visa is required for Australian citizens visiting New Zealand.

True but you did say both ways.

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

True but you did say both ways.

True, as in practice there's no effort involved (and the only reason for the SCV is a technicality that required visas for all foreigners, so it was created as a way of keeping the original visa free requirements while complying with the law change).

• 3 weeks later...