Where to eat in San Pedro

bobpatj

We will be spending one night at the LA Harbor Hotel, in San Pedro, before our Summit cruise, Feb. 12. Can anyone recommend a nice place for dinner? Our AAA book lists only one restaurant, 22nd Street Landing.

San Pedro really only has Ports O'Call and it's not the nicest place.

There really aren't many places to have a "nice" dinner in San Pedro. Will you have a car? If so, I'd recommend going to Long Beach. You'll at least find some decent restaurants there. The Queen Mary has Sir Winstons, which is pricey, but pretty good. For les $$$, there's an Outback Steakhouse in Long Beach at the Pike. Both are easy to get to from San Pedro by car or cab. Just take CA47 which goes across the Vincent Thomas Bridge and Terminal Island to Long Beach.

If you're not familiar with the area, be careful. There are many places you would not want to accidentally wind up. It's probably best for you to stay west of the 405.

Rancho Palos Verdes is a beautiful place adjacent to San Pedro, but is mostly residential and not loaded with restaurants. There's Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach and Torrance, also.

We will be spending one night at the LA Harbor Hotel, in San Pedro, before our Summit cruise, Feb. 12. Can anyone recommend a nice place for dinner? Our AAA book lists only one restaurant, 22nd Street Landing.

Long Beach is just five to ten minutes away by car, maybe a $15 cab ride. Try the Pike area...many great restaurants. We had a great pre-cruise dinner at The Yard House.

Hi there! You may want to try Papadakis Taverna a Greek restaurant in San Pedro I have enjoyed in the past. Here's a web page you may want to try under citysearch Los Angeles: http:///losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/206339/?brand=smx_restaurant-nc

I was with a group and we had a great time.

Here in Long Beach if you would like to eat on the patio overlooking the Pacific Ocean you may enjoy the Belmont Brewing Company. I have enjoyed late afternoon dinner's there often.

Here's the web page for the city of Long Beach CA.

http://www.visitlongbeach.com

Enjoy,

Winnie

Hello,

Papadakis Taverna is a great restaurant in San Pedro. It is a bit on the expensive side but this place has great food and I believe that lunch is less expensive.

There used to be a nice place for breakfast in San Pedro harbor called Caenetti's but I have not been there for some time.

If you have a car, the Belmont Shore section of Long Beach has many good restaurants/saloons.

Hope that you have a great cruise.

Hi Pat,

It has been some time since I have had dinner in San Pedro, as we live a forty minutes drive from the World Cruise Center, however I think that a visit to the Ports of Call Village in San Pedro could be worth while. As you sail out of San Pedro you will see the POC to the starboard just a few minutes down the channel. There are several restaurants with patios beside the channel, and there will be lots of diners waving at your ship as it passes by.

The POC is an interesting shore side location that provides harbor cruises, shopping, dining etc. You can get advice from your hotel desk clerk as to the current dining status, but there are several options for you to consider. In any case you might consider posting about your experiences in San Pedro as there are many others that spend a precruise night there.

Petert

Does anyone know how far the greek tavern is from the Holiday Inn? We found lots of local places listed near that hotel but most seem sort of fast food...also there was listing for a british style ale house--is anyone familiar with that one???

We stayed at the L A Harbor Hotel in late November before our cruise on Monarch of the Seas. If you are there on a weekend we found lots of seafood places at Ports-of Call Village a short walk from the hotel. These are mostly Asian operated places that prepare huge amounts of seafood right there in sight. Large servings and reasonable prices. Sit out on the channel and eat off wooden tables. There is also a very good Mexican Restaurant close to the hotel and another one just before you get to Ports-of Call Village.

We walked up the hill into the main part of city, but did not find much in the way of places to eat. Hope you find something.

Newshound

San Pedro really only has Ports O'Call and it's not the nicest place. There really aren't many places to have a "nice" dinner in San Pedro.

FALSE! We live in Rancho Palos Verdes, and eat in San Pedro all the time. 22d Street Landing is a very nice seafood restaurant. For a more eclectic choice, try Think Bistro on 25th St. or Think Cafe on (I think) 6th Street. Neil's on 5th St. has very good Italian food. Also, Simon's in Ports O'Call has ok Continental food.

If you want to venture into RPV, you could try Trump National Golf Course, which has very good food in a stunning setting. Or you could go to the top of the hill and eat at Cafe Cego, German/California food, or 777, which serves a little of everything.

If you don't have a car, one of the San Pedro choices would be your best bet, since you'd have to take a cab to get there & back to the hotel.

If you like Mexican, the Green Onion is right next to the hotel or Acapulco is a brief walk. Both are safe to walk to if you're not out after, say, 10:00 or so.

Thank you so much for your replies. We will not have a car, so places close by, that we can walk to, sound good. The hotel does have a shuttle, so we can see how far it would be able to take us - I doubt as far as Long Beach, though. After we get checked into the hotel, we can walk to Ports of Call and check out the restaurants. I'm happy to hear of the good review of the 22nd Street Landing, too, and that is a definite possibility.:)

I've been watching this with interest. Several of us are cruising on the Summit in March and will be staying at the Holiday Inn. Parker's Lighthouse was recommended to us. Does anyone know anything about it?

I know it's about 6 miles away, but we have some folks from not far away meeting us and there will be cars available.

I think you want info about the Whale & Ale? Check out their website, they seem extremely generous with their 15% discount (and you print the coupon)

http://www.whaleandale.com

As for the distance from the Holiday Inn to the Papadakis Taverna it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. (yahoo maps gave the distance as .5 mile)

enjoy!

Winnie

Bob,

I particularly like Parker's lighthouse...for the view and location as much as for the food...Great view of the Queen Mary...and it's a neat building out on a point in Shorleline Village with a lot of little touristy shops in the complex...

I won't eat at Papadakis...it's a personal thing...Bunch o' trojans...The son, Petros Papadakis is a local Sports Talk host...and maybe the most arrogant trojan of them all...amazing, considering the years he played third string running back for SC, they never beat my Bruins...NEVER ...as in NOT ONCE...as in the middle of an EIGHT YEAR BRUIN win streak...Yet the fool publically gloats as if he's responsible for their current success...

I'd rather go down to Seal Beach and eat at "Captain Jacks"...That's the restaurant owned by the family of former UCLA and NBA player Jack Haley...

Anyway, I'd say if you want to stick close in Pedro and want to keep your costs low, stick with Acapulco...it's a locally based SoCal chain Mexican Restaurant...and this one is right on the water...I've eaten there on the patio and watched ships embark from the dock--which is just upchannel...

Another Long Beach tradition is Phil Trani's...that's a little bit of a cab ride from Pedro as well...here's the website:

http://www.philtranis.com/

Have fun...

Steve,

As usual, you are a great source of information. Thank you.

Unless you had told me that Parker's routinely served fried cockroach, the decision has been made. Somebody (I don't even know who) mentioned it to one of our group (not a local) and my wife saw the website and said "That's where I want to go".

Living in Atlanta and not being a Georgia fan, I understand all too well what you mean about obnoxious fans.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of the area.

We stayed at the LA Harbor a couple of weeks ago before my son's wedding on the Vision. We were going to eat at Marcello's restaurant (a nice Italian place). The hotel said they would shuttle us there. We decided we didn't want to eat that much since we would be eating so much on the cruise. We chose to eat at the San Pedro Brewing Co. which is about a 1 minute walk from the hotel. There were over 25 of us and no one had a bad meal. I hightly recommed the tri-tip. Below are links to both restaurants.

http://marcellorestaurant.com/

http://www.sanpedrobrewing.com/index.html

We had a group of 8 who went to Papadakis back in October and

had a really good time.:)

Food was plentiful and there was a group of folks who were family

and one of the son's sang opera....and I don't normally enjoy that

type of music but I have to say, he was FANTASTIC. It was wonderful

and he received a BIG OVATION...from everyone!

Anyway, I guess that is why there are choices for everyone.

Differernt strokes for different folks.

Archived