What No 'Pool?

snaefell

10 hours ago, snaefell said:

IMO sadly too many people get upset way too easily these days,end result many people are almost afraid to speak in fear of upsetting somebody,IME many Liverpool people,& I have drunk & worked with many(& been married to one for 45 years) seem to find it wonderful to glorify in Liverpool's more unwholesome side,it tends to be in their sense of humour.

As for the cruise terminal I really feel that their idea to use the Cunard building was a brilliant idea,shame that didn't happen IMO.

I understand humour having lived here for almost 62yrs however what is said in Jest can colour judgement.  I have spoken to many people from all over the country who have said they were too scared to come to Liverpool because of its reputation and then that they were pleasantly surprised when they did come and discovered we have running water 😊 

I’m not sure how the Cunard would have worked as a cruise terminal given its distance from the water 🤔

13 hours ago, debgreg said:

I’m not sure how the Cunard would have worked as a cruise terminal given its distance from the water 🤔

As I understood the reason given for abandoning the idea of using the Cunard building was that it was at the wrong end of the Landing Stage,given that the Landing Stage was a wreck anyway & was going to have to be rebuilt I always thought it was a rather strange reason,now that is happening with the Isle Of Man Steam Packet moving from that end to Princes Dock.

Shame as it is such a wonderful building with such great cruising connections IMO.

I feel the problem with Liverpool is that, unless you are heading north to Iceland, it is in the wrong place. It would add a day's sailing to the Med or Canaries and possibly more for the Baltic.

4 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I feel the problem with Liverpool is that, unless you are heading north to Iceland, it is in the wrong place. It would add a day's sailing to the Med or Canaries and possibly more for the Baltic.

A very good point.

And another good reason for Hull's proposed new cruise terminal. Perfect for Northern Europe, and the many potential customers put off by having to travel to Southampton.

28 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A very good point.

And another good reason for Hull's proposed new cruise terminal. Perfect for Northern Europe, and the many potential customers put off by having to travel to Southampton.

Good point HP, if Hull could create a 24/7 cruise terminal that does not require a lock then it would be a perfect turnround port for all North sea destinations.  Unfortunately with the sort of delays in our planning system, and the built in reluctance for change in most major companies, it's extremely unlikely to happen while I still cruise. 

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A very good point.

Or they could use the one already in existence at Newcastle on the river Tyne, and in case anybody thinks it wouldn’t be big enough we had Queen Victoria in yesterday. Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it’s only a 10 minute walk for me to get there 😉 😂 

41 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Or they could use the one already in existence at Newcastle on the river Tyne, and in case anybody thinks it wouldn’t be big enough we had Queen Victoria in yesterday. Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it’s only a 10 minute walk for me to get there 😉 😂 

What a great idea. At the moment we are having a ship a day nearly visiting the Tyne and Marella use it for turnarounds as have Fred, and C&M.

10 min taxi ride. 😎

9EFB0C0B-03A7-458F-BE1A-32EF9AE63609.jpeg

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Good point HP, if Hull could create a 24/7 cruise terminal that does not require a lock then it would be a perfect turnround port for all North sea destinations.  Unfortunately with the sort of delays in our planning system, and the built in reluctance for change in most major companies, it's extremely unlikely to happen while I still cruise. 

It's in the planning stages, with Hull City Council looking for private capital partners:

https://cityplanhull.co.uk/index.php/cruise-terminal