What No 'Pool?

snaefell

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'd cruise even more if they did.  And the proposed new terminal at Hull would be even better.

Carnival companies seem to forget how big a market there could be in the north. 

Agree there,we had a 7 hour journey back from Southampton by coach last year,really put us off going from there again.

If they ever do get around to getting it right in Liverpool who knows,don't think it will happen in my lifetime,can't help feeling that they really let a golden opportunity slip by not going ahead with the plans to make the old Cunard Building the cruise terminal,no joined up thinking again!

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

I know they were not really regular visitors but does anybody have any ideas why P&O don't seem to visit Liverpool anymore?

Well since I have been cruising I cannot remember P&O visiting Liverpool more than once. So it is difficult for them to visit again.

Certainly it look like Princess have taken over the round Britain cruises not that P&O did them anyway.

I know Britannia has been in at least once,maybe twice & they did have a ship scheduled to call last year but they sold the vessel(was it Aurora?).

My interest,as much as anything,was driven by wanting to photograph something different on the Mersey from the usual ferries & freight carriers!

Princess do a lot more British Isles cruises every year than P&O and they do call at Liverpool as a port of call on occasions. Cannot ever imagine P&O using Liverpool as an embarkation/disembarkation port for a very long time if at all.

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

I know Britannia has been in at least once,maybe twice & they did have a ship scheduled to call last year but they sold the vessel(was it Aurora?).

My interest,as much as anything,was driven by wanting to photograph something different on the Mersey from the usual ferries & freight carriers!

Yes, I like photographing them as well, but in my case on the Tyne. We’re getting a real treat next week as Queen Victoria will be at the Northumbrian Quay on Tuesday... I won’t be missing that one!

On 8/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, brian1 said:

No,they just stood it on bricks in the dry dock and nicked the propellers.

It’s comments like this that give our beautiful city a bad name...maybe you should visit more as I’m sure crime here is not as bad as most large cities 🤔

• Thanks 1

P&O have occasionally done 'sort of round Britain' cruises on some of the smaller ships but tended not to call in to Liverpool.  There could be any number of reasons - tides? (lack of) terminal facilities? the 'spat' between Liverpool & Southampton(which of course is home to P&O)?

I did a round-Britain on Queen Elizabeth in June/July 2016 and we had a call in to Liverpool, which I think is a great city with lots to see & do.  There was also a celebration of the Cunard Building the day we were in and we received a complimentary book all about the building and there was a firework display in the evening.  They delayed sailaway so that we could see the fireworks.  It was a fabulous day.

41 minutes ago, Britboys said:

P&O have occasionally done 'sort of round Britain' cruises on some of the smaller ships but tended not to call in to Liverpool.  There could be any number of reasons - tides? (lack of) terminal facilities? the 'spat' between Liverpool & Southampton(which of course is home to P&O)?

I did a round-Britain on Queen Elizabeth in June/July 2016 and we had a call in to Liverpool, which I think is a great city with lots to see & do.  There was also a celebration of the Cunard Building the day we were in and we received a complimentary book all about the building and there was a firework display in the evening.  They delayed sailaway so that we could see the fireworks.  It was a fabulous day.

Yes the spat has definitely delayed things however the first phase of the work has finally started so hopefully it won’t be to far off.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/business/stunning-new-images-liverpools-new-15288906

The images and video certainly show promise.  They only have to look at Southampton's Ocean Terminal to know what not to do 😁.  That one is very efficient but (imho) is an architectural carbuncle  and basically amounts to a big shed...

11 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The images and video certainly show promise.  They only have to look at Southampton's Ocean Terminal to know what not to do 😁.  That one is very efficient but (imho) is an architectural carbuncle  and basically amounts to a big shed...

Yes we have sailed from SH a few times, Ovation and Independence, as you say efficient but very lack lustre 

13 minutes ago, debgreg said:

Yes we have sailed from SH a few times, Ovation and Independence, as you say efficient but very lack lustre 

Good to know that RCI's City Terminal is as lacklustre as Carnival's Ocean Terminal 😄.  I've never sailed out of City Terminal.

2 hours ago, debgreg said:

It’s comments like this that give our beautiful city a bad name...maybe you should visit more as I’m sure crime here is not as bad as most large cities 🤔

Don't take it to heart, Liverpool is a beautiful city.

It is only historical banter, like all Scotsmen are tight, Yorkshire men keep ferrets down their trousers and Welshmen.... Well we won't go there but I think that could be true😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Good to know that RCI's City Terminal is as lacklustre as Carnival's Ocean Terminal 😄.  I've never sailed out of City Terminal.

City terminal might not win any architectural awards, but it is certainly  far more efficient than Ocean or Mayflower. We disembarked  Independence on Saturday, and from joining the short queue to disembark until leaving the terminal building took all of 10 minutes,  our 3 cases were placed together in the luggage hall so we spent no time rounding them up, and despite having to push both the luggage trolley and my wife's wheelchair we still beat any disembarcation time from a P&O ship by a country mile.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

City terminal might not win any architectural awards, but it is certainly  far more efficient than Ocean or Mayflower. We disembarked  Independence on Saturday, and from joining the short queue to disembark until leaving the terminal building took all of 10 minutes,  our 3 cases were placed together in the luggage hall so we spent no time rounding them up, and despite having to push both the luggage trolley and my wife's wheelchair we still beat any disembarcation time from a P&O ship by a country mile.

Glad you had a good experience of City Terminal.  I tend to sail on the smaller P&O ships, which makes getting on & off that much quicker and easier anyway 😃

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Don't take it to heart, Liverpool is a beautiful city.

It is only historical banter, like all Scotsmen are tight, Yorkshire men keep ferrets down their trousers and Welshmen.... Well we won't go there but I think that could be true😀

Yes I know it’s banter and we can take a joke more than anyone but sometimes it gets a bit tiresome when all your identified with is the criminal activity of our undesirables....why not mention we are Champions of Europe 😎😂 

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Glad you had a good experience of City Terminal.  I tend to sail on the smaller P&O ships, which makes getting on & off that much quicker and easier anyway 😃

I did too.  Was only embarkation though (Aurora), as we came back to Mayflower.  City Terminal was fine.  For what my opinion is worth, so are Mayflower and Ocean.   Having had the misfortune to leave from the QE2 terminal a few weeks ago on Queen Mary 2, and that is one terminal that is not fit for anything.  Awful experience.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, debgreg said:

I come from East London.We probably have more tealeaves here than Liverpool.Our humour is a take no prisoners type,where banter in a pub here would result in a mass punchup anywhere else.We can boast also,West Ham won the World cup,lol.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I did too.  Was only embarkation though (Aurora), as we came back to Mayflower.  City Terminal was fine.  For what my opinion is worth, so are Mayflower and Ocean.   Having had the misfortune to leave from the QE2 terminal a few weeks ago on Queen Mary 2, and that is one terminal that is not fit for anything.  Awful experience.

You boarded Aurora from City Terminal - wow that is unusual.  I agree about QE2 Terminal - a major refit really is overdue.

10 hours ago, brian1 said:

I come from East London.We probably have more tealeaves here than Liverpool.Our humour is a take no prisoners type,where banter in a pub here would result in a mass punchup anywhere else.We can boast also,West Ham won the World cup,lol.

It's not funny Brian, West Ham did win the World Cup....😀

Andy 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

You boarded Aurora from City Terminal - wow that is unusual.  I agree about QE2 Terminal - a major refit really is overdue.

Yes, can't recall why it happened.  In the days before Ocean Terminal was a thing.  Arcadia was at Mayflower and Aurora needed tugs at City.

This was the first time I had been at the QE2 terminal.   Everything about it shocked me .. not so much refit as rebuild needed.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:56 PM, debgreg said:

Yes I know it’s banter and we can take a joke more than anyone but sometimes it gets a bit tiresome when all your identified with is the criminal activity of our undesirables....why not mention we are Champions of Europe 😎😂 

IMO sadly too many people get upset way too easily these days,end result many people are almost afraid to speak in fear of upsetting somebody,IME many Liverpool people,& I have drunk & worked with many(& been married to one for 45 years) seem to find it wonderful to glorify in Liverpool's more unwholesome side,it tends to be in their sense of humour.

As for the cruise terminal I really feel that their idea to use the Cunard building was a brilliant idea,shame that didn't happen IMO.