The bigger the tip the faster you get your luggage?

12 minutes ago, Tony O said:

So I guess my 48 years working in the longshore industry doesn't count

What would you say is the average tip amount the guys make for working the luggage drop off for one of the big ships?

5 minutes ago, marci22 said:

What would you say is the average tip amount the guys make for working the luggage drop off for one of the big ships?

All I do know all is the  money is pooled and distributed to not just the porters but the behind the scene  workers as well.

Edited by Tony O

We always tip and our luggage comes when it comes. We usually bring a carry on with us with clothes for dinner. I think pulling the carry-on around until 1:00 helps the luggage to arrive earlier.

Last cruise on the Allure our daughter passed what looked like their luggage further up the hallway by cabin doors and then saw ours, too. She knocked on our door and I went back with her to move the luggage to her cabin and to ours. Our cabin numbers were correct on the tags. There was no luggage left at our end of the hallway, which was the furthest to the stern. It was probably 3:00 when we found it and we might have passed the luggage later on the way to the muster drill, but we would have stupidly just opened the door and looked for it outside the door until we passed it. 

1 hour ago, Tony O said:

All I do know all is the  money is pooled and distributed to not just the porters but the behind the scene  workers as well.

Well that sucks (pooling), when I came back from Alaska the Taxi line was a mess and I was an hour in line so I gave the porter a $50  because of all the tips I figured he lost waiting with me  had it been a normal day. I would have been in line longer but a cab pulled up and was going to leave because it didn't want to get inline to pick up and he grabbed it and put my luggage in.

Edited by AlanF65

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I never tip the porters, it's ludicrous to tip someone for doing the bare minimum in their job description, all the while making well north of $150,000 a year PLUS union benefits. My luggage comes about the same time as all the people around me.

What port pays that?  Port of Miami get $10.24 an hour. You are out of your mind. 

6 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

We tip $1-2 per bag and never had a porter ask for more, roll his eyes or damage our luggage. I really don't think they have the time to remember who tipped what and then go find that person's luggage and rip off the tags or purposefully damage your luggage.

I think they remember someone saying something to them about their rudeness.  Our bags were right next to them.  The tag was taped and stapled.  I am pretty confidant that they ripped it off.  And I commented that usually the porters are very polite.  I was actually surprised that someone would actually comment about the tip and roll their eyes right in front of us.  Maybe if you were there you would have seen what I saw but since you weren't, no need to imply that I am lying.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I think they remember someone saying something to them about their rudeness.  Our bags were right next to them.  The tag was taped and stapled.  I am pretty confidant that they ripped it off.  And I commented that usually the porters are very polite.  I was actually surprised that someone would actually comment about the tip and roll their eyes right in front of us.  Maybe if you were there you would have seen what I saw but since you weren't, no need to imply that I am lying.

I believe your comments may well have resulted in the petty retribution. 

11 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Except that they don't let us.  I would be more than happy to carry my bag that additional 5 feet and not have to deal with them at all.  But we can't.

Exactly.  The whole longshoreman // porters handling your luggage is the biggest scam on the seas.

My experience has been I pull up in a taxi or uber, the cab driver unloads my luggage from their trunk and hands it to the longshoreman who puts it on a cart a foot or two away - and they have their hand out wanting tipped for that.

Of course, most people do because they are afraid something might happen to their luggage.  It is all a scam.

Just let me grab my luggage from the taxi / ober driver and I will put it on the cart that is a couple feet away.  Ecvept they don;t allow you to do that.

• Clarea locked this topic