Car seat clarification

samrothstein

I’ve done some searching and found that children under 6(?) require a booster at least, and under 4(?) require a full car seat, when traveling in a taxi/Uber/Lyft.

Does this apply to shuttle services, ie airport and cruise transportation shuttles? 

I'll be traveling with a 3 & 6yo and have no desire to schlep car seats around if I don’t have to.  

10 hours ago, samrothstein said:

I’ve done some searching and found that children under 6(?) require a booster at least, and under 4(?) require a full car seat, when traveling in a taxi/Uber/Lyft.

Does this apply to shuttle services, ie airport and cruise transportation shuttles? 

I'll be traveling with a 3 & 6yo and have no desire to schlep car seats around if I don’t have to.  

It doesn't apply to large bus type transfers. 

When we have used smaller private transportation shuttles we opt for those that offer carseats/boosters.

In Fort Lauderdale for cruises out of Port Everglades or Miami ..... South Florida Shuttles

In Orlando...for cruise out of Port Canaveral .... Cruise Control or Ace Transportation.

Hope this helps as we also avoid schlepping carseats/boosters.

Doesn't apply to rental car shuttles, hotel shuttles, tour busses etc.  It does apply to taxi, UBER, etc.   We flew into/out of MCO last year with GD's that age.  We used the ships shuttle (tour bus) from ship to MCO and no car seats were required.  I hired a car service for arrival for parents and them as they came in separate from us and the car service provided the car seats.      

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the link to the official page - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html

At the end of the page you will find: "The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation."

BUT UBER is not a chauffeur-driven taxi. So by law you need car seats/boosters for kids under 6!

I don't think it is a problem. Most transportation companies offer car seats. Some charge extra and some do not.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, StarKat2019 said:

Here is the link to the official page - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html

At the end of the page you will find: "The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation."

BUT UBER is not a chauffeur-driven taxi. So by law you need car seats/boosters for kids under 6!

I don't think it is a problem. Most transportation companies offer car seats. Some charge extra and some do not.

Uber actually falls under this:

"other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation."

Car seat is not required (but is recommended for safety reasons).

Edited by loanshark

The details of the laws in FL or whatever ports you are visiting make little difference - the laws of physics apply worldwide.  A properly  sized, maintained, and installed car/booster seat is the only safe way for a child to ride in a vehicle equipped with seatbelts.  Don't be a fool and sacrifice safety because you don't want to be bothered to carry child/booster seats.

Search the family cruise board for more suggestions from others on how to schedule/arrange safe transport options.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, loanshark said:

Uber actually falls under this:

"other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation."

I don't know if UBER falls under that or not in the US, but in Europe they get fined for transporting children without car seats. Several drivers in France, UK and Russia mentioned that after being fined they decided not to take passengers with kids (or have a car seat in their car at all times).

Someone mentioned that in Florida the parent can get fined instead of the taxi driver.

And i totally agree with JohninDC.  Better safe than sorry!

Edited by StarKat2019

On 9/3/2019 at 2:54 PM, StarKat2019 said:

You left out the last sentence in the statute:

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section.

I take that to mean that if the vehicle is stopped for a seat belt check or in an accident, it will not be the Uber/taxi/Lyft driver that is penalized; it will be the adult(s) traveling with the child.  Penalties for not following the law can include a $60.00 fine and 3 points against your driver’s license. Furthermore, you risk injury or death to your child in an automobile accident. And that is the most important thing as others have noted.

I found this explanation on a law firm website (https://distasiofirm.com/florida-car-seat-laws/#florida-car-seat-laws-taxi-uber-lyft):

FLORIDA CAR SEAT LAWS: TAXI, UBER, LYFT

Florida car seat laws exempt chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicles if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. The Florida courts have not formally interpreted this language. More than likely this means that the taxi driver, bus driver, Uber driver, Lyft driver, and the companies they work for are not legally responsible for ensuring your infant, toddler, or child is using a car seat. So the driver will probably not get a ticket if you do not require your child to use a car seat. But that does not mean you can get away with not using a car seat with a taxi, uber, lyft, or bus. The driver can still refuse to take you. In addition, section 316.613(6) of the Florida statutes specifically says it is the responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for the child’s welfare to comply with the requirements of the statute. This means you would probably get a ticket for not requiring you child to use a car seat even though the taxi, uber, or lift driver does not get a ticket.

FLORIDA CAR SEAT LAWS APPLY TO CHILD NEGLECT CASES

In Florida, the Department of Children and Families (DCF) is responsible for child welfare. DCF has the power to charge a family with abuse or neglect when there is harm or threat of harm to a child’s physical or mental health or welfare. Remedies can include child supervision and even taking a child from a family in extreme cases. This broad definition probably gives DCF the power in Florida to charge a family with abuse or neglect for failure to use a proper car seat. It is certainly possible for DCF to get involved for failing to use a proper car seat even if it only occurred on one occasion. But this would probably not happen if the child was not injured because the law makes this a traffic offense.

Edited by capriccio