Perfect Day at CocoCay - on a budget

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Having been to Coco Cay 3 times, I can confidently say there should be plenty of things to do that cost absolutely nothing.  Including the loungers around the Oasis pool and swim up bar.  We plan on getting there when the ship docks and staking our claim.  We'll be with others so they can help watch our stuff.  Then we plan on snorkeling, snorkeling is great at Coco Cay if you know where to look.  Other than that, free food and drinks...no problem.  We'll purchase a couple alcoholic beverage for the laid back chill at the pool.  That's enough for us.  We plan on spending very little and I am completely sure others would be able to spend absolutely nothing at all!

Thank you!!!

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

There are two forts within walking distance of the docks. If you have a U.S. National Parks pass they will accept that and not charge you to tour the forts, otherwise the admission is $14/adult. San Cristobal is the closest one to the ship (maybe a 10 minute walk) El Morro is about a mile away, and overlooks the ship channel to the port (you will pass it on your way into San Juan.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

That's great to hear-DH is an avid snorkeler- where would the best places be?

We have seen some fantastic critters there around the coral heads at entrances to the coves on the left side of the island as well as back on South Beach with the sea grass and then all around the lifeguard towers in the water, tons of fish...pink octopus whose picture I've posted many times on here was in the coral heads at what is now called Chill Island, used to be the snorkel beach and the sports beach.

Oops sorry Bob I see you answered that!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

We have seen some fantastic critters there around the coral heads at entrances to the coves on the left side of the island as well as back on South Beach with the sea grass and then all around the lifeguard towers in the water, tons of fish...pink octopus whose picture I've posted many times on here was in the coral heads at what is now called Chill Island, used to be the snorkel beach and the sports beach.

thanks to you also!

9 hours ago, phabric said:

Can you get on the tram anywhere?  Or, are there certain stops?

The tram has certain stops to pick up people or let people off. Also it comes around to every stop about every 15 minutes.  You can do a search for a map of Coca Cay and take a look at it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

Just 2 short questions. 

Are there water and other drink dispensers all around the park?

Is the food served on disposable plates and cutlery?

The drink  dispensers I saw were by the snack shack or by the  picnic area, even an ice machine.

I thought this was  a very nice addition.

And yes everything is served on disposables.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 2:29 PM, red-dragon said:

That's good to know, thank you!

LOL, that's for sure!  We enjoyed Oasis immensely, but it took us many years to save up and go on another cruise!  

Thank you!

I'm so glad you're interested in my questions as well Lorey!  Keeping our $$ for San Juan, which we've never been to.  When is your cruise?

It seems so large from the aerial views!

I can't be in the sun for very long, so hopefully we'll find some seats underneath a tree for some shade!

Thanks for the info.

November is not that far off.  Hope you have a fantastic time!

LOL!

So, long sleeve rash guards and floppy hats and a really good sunscreen and there is no reason you can’t spend most of day in the sun.  

Yes good sunscreen can cost a lot of money, but floppy hat and rash guard 30 bucks.  

JC

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 8:43 AM, Sherri914 said:

And this video tells you the FREE activities on Perfect Day

Thanks again Sherri914 - I think I would like the water slides myself ... lol

19 hours ago, orville99 said:

You mentioned that you had ankle problems, so just a heads up, but everything (literally) in old San Juan is uphill from the pier.

Oh, orville99, that is awfully sweet of you.  I think because we've never been to San Juan, we will get a city tour, it might be too much walking for me.  Thank you so much for pointing out the uphill from the pier!

18 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Hi BecciBoo - I copied your notes for my Harmony daily planner so I can look out for all those critters!  So exciting! 

What kind of critters did you see?

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Angelsea57 said:

The drink  dispensers I saw were by the snack shack or by the  picnic area, even an ice machine.

I thought this was  a very nice addition.

And yes everything is served on disposables.

I was wondering if they had ice, thank you!

Do they have lids and straws for the disposable cups?  I know a lot of companies are cutting down on plastic.  

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, long sleeve rash guards and floppy hats and a really good sunscreen and there is no reason you can’t spend most of day in the sun.  

Yes good sunscreen can cost a lot of money, but floppy hat and rash guard 30 bucks.  

JC

Thanks JC. 

My budget is more about the cost of excursions, add ons ...

Sunblock, hat and UV protected clothing is a must no matter where we go.  I never heard of rash guards, thanks for the tip.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, alfaeric said:

As far as I can tell, you can still do the entire day on $0.  We plan on doing that in November when we go back.  

Never been there, but this is our plan ($0) when we go in Nov as well.

• Thanks 1