First time using Adventure Ocean - Adventure of the Seas

Looking for any information/cruise compasses for the Adventure Ocean program. We are sailing on the AOTS for an 8 day. Our kids are ages 9 and 12 and this is their first cruise, and our first time using Adventure Ocean. I have heard wonderful things from both cruisers and their children about how much fun the kids have. I would like all the advice: so far all I have been able to find is show up on embarkation day to sign up and learn more, and the program is closed for brief hours for lunch and dinner.

I'd love to know more about how AO works on both sea days and port days. Also, can we expect a different routine on formal nights? Our sailing is on Halloween, will they have anything special planned that night?

If you have any AO cruise compasses, please share!

If you have any tips or advice, please share!

TYIA!

• Like 1

Our experience with AO is that they don't really close during the lunch & dinner hours....They take them to the WJ as a group into a closed off area to eat pizza, chicken nuggets etc...at least this was our experience with Aquanauts on Harmony.

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad to see this thread.  We are booked for a 6 nt cruise next March for our great niece's spring break.  She is just recently 13 and my first impulse is to keep her with me the entire time.  However, my TA assures me that she will have a great deal of fun at AO and will likely make friends immediately.  So, I don't want to prevent her from having the best experience possible.  

All and any responses appreciated, and I will share with her mother, who is very excited for her to have this opportunity.  

Becki

13 is in the teen club which operates a bit differently than AO.

You can find more info on the family board about both teen club and AO, but if I recall, teen club splits into 2 age groups 13-15 and 16-17 or something there abouts, and has their own compass with activities and a space for hanging out with video games, etc.

Definitely encourage your great niece to check it out on the first night when people tend to meet and make friends.

1 hour ago, 2cruise5 said:

Does anyone know if the ages for the groups are strictly enforced? My children will be 8 and 10 and ideally I think the 8 year old would be better suited to Voyagers

They may strictly enforce the ages, depends on how many children are in each age group. 

From what I have seen the little ones have fun and the teens have fun, but the 8 to 12 year olds can vary wildly.  My 10 year old loves "gaga ball" and some of the other activities (some ships have video games), but unfortunately some of the other kids became unruly and ruined it for everyone.  The 2 times we picked him up on Harmony, something had happened and the kids were just sitting around.  

At certain ages kids are allowed to check themselves out, so if you permit this, don't be surprised to find your kid just chilling out in the room.  Especially if your children aren't social butterflies.  

22 minutes ago, rjscott said:

For those of you who have used AO, how have you handled knowing where your child was if they decided to leave and was looking for you?  Or if one of the counselors needed to contact you?  

Becki

You would need to tell your child where you will be and if they leave AO they must physically check in with you. If counselors need to contact you they will call and leave a message in your cabin. 

2 hours ago, rjscott said:

For those of you who have used AO, how have you handled knowing where your child was if they decided to leave and was looking for you?  Or if one of the counselors needed to contact you?  

Becki

My child was 10 on our last trip and we allowed her to check herself in and out.  We had specific rules about when she was allowed to leave and where she was supposed to meet us.  She didn’t love it on the last cruise, and loved doing all the fun stuff on the ship, so it was really just in the evenings that she’d go.  She was really good about being where she was supposed to be at the appointed time.  

20 hours ago, rjscott said:

Becki

i have a 5 year old and on Symphony of the Seas we ALWAYS asked for a phone and they always gave us one without a problem.

• 3 weeks later...