Annual travel insurance

Beautiful2

There are annual trip cancellation plans and annual medical plans. The annual trip cancellation plans tend to have lower medical coverage so travelers often combine them with an annual medical plan. The annual medical plans only cover trips outside the USA.

The trip cancellation coverage in an annual plan is the total for the 12 months, so any claims you have subtract from the remaining coverage.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, Budget Queen said:

I've had annual  medical  plans for years.   I self insure my trip costs   these costs are insignificant to me.  

Fellow NYS resident having difficulty finding Annual policy with limits more than $30K medical & $50K evac.  Trips up to (or even over) 90 days.  Will you share what coverage you have and by which company?  Thanks!

On 9/1/2019 at 1:19 PM, Sandcruiser1 said:

I have one with Allianz Global Assistance with $5000 trip cancellation, $50,000 emergency medical, $250,000 medical evac and $50,000 travel accident plus several smaller items for $450 a year.  Haven't had occasion to try it.

We used our Allianz Global Assistance policy when we had to cancel a trip.  They treated us fairly and we got a quick refund.  I have not had a need to use the medical part of the policy so I can't comment on that.

The only negative that I can see with an annual policy is that the limits are for the year and not for an individual trip.  If you have more than one loss over the year and the total losses are more than the policy limits, you will not be reimbursed over the overages.

DON

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We used our Allianz Global Assistance policy when we had to cancel a trip.  They treated us fairly and we got a quick refund.  I have not had a need to use the medical part of the policy so I can't comment on that.

The only negative that I can see with an annual policy is that the limits are for the year and not for an individual trip.  If you have more than one loss over the year and the total losses are more than the policy limits, you will not be reimbursed over the overages.

DON

Hmm!  I hadn't thought of that.  I wonder if you can buy a second policy if you use up your annual or pay extra to increase the limit  after partially using it.

3 hours ago, Woofbite said:

Hmm!  I hadn't thought of that.  I wonder if you can buy a second policy if you use up your annual or pay extra to increase the limit  after partially using it.

Our worry about this is that buying an additional policy at the last minute because we just "used up" too much of the annual policy coverage is that we may well run afoul of the pre-existing condition restrictions.  We both have that to deal with.

GC