Oceania arranged flight experience

Hawaiidan

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Well - as Lyn mentioned, AA flies to BCN both via MIA and CLT and DL via ATL - all of these look more attractive to me than AC.

Paul I am not fond of Rouge   but  AA   really messed us around  twice  so they are not getting  a 3rd chance  form us LOL

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not "very roundabout".  The distance you will fly will only be about 400 miles more than what a hypothetical nonstop from MCO to BCN would be.

You can see great circle distances by using the Great Circle Mapper.

http://www.gcmap.com

So, just what kind of "non-roundabout" routing had you thought wouldn't be "pretty bad"?

I would think MCO to Miami , or Orlando to Atlanta to Barcelona going over especially without a 5 hour layover.

Edited by impala1ss

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think you have set yourself up for failure    by NOT doing your research

I wonder  what flight Viking would have given you for the same ports??

JMO

I've done my research. Not setting us up  for failure. The cruise will be wonderful as were the other 12 I've taken. It's the transportation that isn't very good.  Never cared for Vikings routing ether but never was as long as these flights and have flown all over the world regarding flying to and from cruises. I do believe $300 to just talk to someone  about alternate routes is a little much.

2 hours ago, impala1ss said:

First time going on an Oceania cruise, a transatlantic. The O'life flights that we have been assigned are pretty bad; flying Air Canada Rouge from Orlando to Toronto to Barcelona (seems very roundabout, since we are starting in Orlando, FL.; and Rio to Sao Paulo, Brazil to Miami to Orlando on return; the last on an Airline I have never even heard of, Latam.  There is one 5 hour layover at Toronto, and another 3 hr in Miami.  Then there is no transportation provided from airport, or ship to airport. We were advised that the shuttle from Barcelona would cost us an extra $ 80 pp to get from the airport to the ship and we had to find one on our own.

In my opinion I can not believe this is the best they can do but perhaps they would like to reset us up with better flights for an additional $175 pp. We have cruised with Viking on the last 5 cruises and while their flight arrangements could be better also, they do provide shuttles to the ship from the airport.  Their  extra help for a flight(s) is only $100pp.

While we chose Oceania over Viking  this time, we chose Oceania to see the difference in cruising as well as the destinations. While we always enjoy cruising, given all the extra charges, Oceania will not be our future choice.

Your flights are why we're not doing it through them.  I just did a quick look and American flies nonstop Rio to Miami.  Also looked and you could fly Rio to Houston (which is what we do) and then nonstop Houston to Orlando.  Best of luck.

1 hour ago, impala1ss said:

I do believe $300 to just talk to someone  about alternate routes is a little much.

Once again you are poorly informed.

The fee is actually $350 ($175/pp) but you do not pay it unless and until you accept the proposed itinerary. You do not pay “just to talk to someone  about alternate routes”

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

but  AA   really messed us around  twice  so they are not getting  a 3rd chance  form us LOL

Lyn - I don’t blame you. The “new” AA is nothing like the old AA pre-merger.

I no longer favor them either despite being a lifetime Plat with them.

2 hours ago, impala1ss said:

I do believe $300 to just talk to someone  about alternate routes is a little much.

It costs nothing  to ask about other flight routing

You only pay the $350  deviation fee  for 2  once you and Oceania agree on the flights you want

It might be too late to try & get better  flights/routing  but worth a shot

If you used a TA  give them the flights you want  & get them to talk to Oceania air dept  & see what they come back with

When you take the included air  with O  it is potluck ..you get whatever they  want to give you

We opt to pay the deviation if we use  O air  otherwise  we book our own

YMMV

Just for that those that think about those "more attractive" routings:

MCO-JFK-BCN -- 4775 great circle miles

MCO-CLT-BCN -- 4826 great circle miles

MCO-MIA-BCN -- 4889 great circle miles

MCO-ATL-BCN -- 4987 great circle miles

MCO-YYZ-BCN -- 5054 great circle miles

Maximum differential -- 279 miles.

And for those upset about a five hour connection, a thought problem.  If there is only one flight a day from any of these gateways to BCN, and if you have any kind of delay on your originating flight, would you rather have a scheduled five hour connection with lots of cushion, or a scheduled 90 minute connection that would, at best, have you on a mad headlong dash through the airport while hoping your luggage moves as quickly??

PS: And if you were going to read a book or two on your cruise, you can get a headstart during that connect.  Plus get a nice meal so you aren't dependent on airline food.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

would you rather have a scheduled five hour connection with lots of cushion,

Totally.  I actually prefer about three hours to be really safe.  We have a UA Club Card and now with our Chase Sapphire Reserve we have Priority Pass (which can be tough I understand due to over crowding).  And I've actually chosen to eat in the airport or lounge so I can try to sleep and not have to wait for meal service.  Those kinds of meal I categorize as "fuel" and have low expectations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just for that those that think about those "more attractive" routings:

MCO-JFK-BCN -- 4775 great circle miles

MCO-CLT-BCN -- 4826 great circle miles

MCO-MIA-BCN -- 4889 great circle miles

MCO-ATL-BCN -- 4987 great circle miles

MCO-YYZ-BCN -- 5054 great circle miles

How is this for stats:

AC shortest flight. 16 hrs 5 min

AA via MIA. 11 hrs 33 min.- 

AA via CLT. 11 hrs 40 min

AA via PHL. 12 hrs 46 min

Regardless of the mileage of the flights, I’ll take the shortest in duration.

Edited by Paulchili

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Regardless of the mileage of the flights, I’ll take the shortest in duration.

The OP could have chosen  that if they had  asked & paid the deviations months ago 🙂

Or booked their own

Why let others choose  your flights  when you have  a choice 

• Like 1