Aurora - Alaska late in the season

mek

Has anyone had a good experience viewing the Aurora mid- late September?  We are on the Sept 13th Grand sailing and have never been to Alaska this late. This is the 10 night RT from San Francisco, so we won't be as far north as Anchorage.  Keeping fingers crossed that we just might get lucky. 

18 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

We missed them between Glacier Bay and Skagway toward the end of August last year.  We didn't stay up late enough and regretted it.  Here's the link to see the forecasts but you obviously need a clear sky to see them https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

Thanks for that link - interesting about the rotation of the sun impacting the activity - something I didn't know.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Coral said:

I have friends who saw them on their mid-September cruise last year. Their pictures were pretty good.

I wonder if Princess will call at night if there is activity?  I will have to ask when I board.

1 hour ago, mek said:

I wonder if Princess will call at night if there is activity?  I will have to ask when I board.

My friend was on Viking. My sister was on a Princess ship at the same time and I told her to tell the Passenger Services desk to call if they see them. She never heard from them but also didn't hear anything from others that they saw them.

4 hours ago, mek said:

They told us to leave the tv on the Princess channel and they'd announce it if the aurora showed up. We did, aurora did, and Princess did. Middle of the night.

13 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

They told us to leave the tv on the Princess channel and they'd announce it if the aurora showed up. We did, aurora did, and Princess did. Middle of the night.

Cool - thanks.  Middle of the night isn't a problem for me.

set yourself an alert on the link that was above.  It will tell you if there is enough solar activity to see them.  You need dark and solar activity.  Some of the best lights I have ever seen, and I have seen hundreds have been in early September.  They come and go...changing constantly.  Never alike.  but you need to stay up.  That said, unless there is a good display, the ships lights ruin the show. 

• Thanks 1

I hope this happens - we have always gone to Alaska when it never really gets dark and we were above the Arctic Circle in Norway on the Summer Solstice.  It would really be a treat to see them.