Cruise Fashion Question for Women

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

I'm currently packing for my Alaska cruise on Ovation, and now I'm wondering if I'm preparing to overdress. I have all dressy slacks and dressy blouses like I'd wear to work in an office, nothing much in the way of casual. I cruise Princess a few months ago and that might be an older demographic than RCI. Am I right? Maybe I'd do better to put in some more casual blouses and nice jeans.

On the larger ships expect a lot of families.  Since school has started, most of the children will be well-behaved as they are probably home schooled.

Onboard the ship, I usually wear the stretchy maxi dresses with only one or two pairs of capris & tee shirts for Excursions where a dress might not be appropriate.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, amg3miami said:

Thanks for all the input! I just spent the day online and spent a small fortune on cute dresses and smart casual wear, even though I will probably end up in my bikini and flip flops most of the day, at least I will have a few dress options to throw on when strolling around the ship. I am SOOOO excited for this cruise! I have had a traumatic year and suffered an unexpected tragic loss of my husband. This is my starting over point after 16 months of grieving. I can't wait for the fresh air, sun, cocktails and escape from my life...even if only for a week. Sigh, I guess I have to start somewhere.

Thanks for all the tips!

Condolences on your loss. Don't overthink the clothing thing. Like others said casual comfy clothes during the day and a little more dressy for the evening. I'm sure you will have a great time. Step out of your comfort zone and just start talking to others. Singles and couples. You will get a feel fairly quickly if they want to chat or want to be by themselves. Who knows you might even meet some that you become great friends with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I'm currently packing for my Alaska cruise on Ovation, and now I'm wondering if I'm preparing to overdress. I have all dressy slacks and dressy blouses like I'd wear to work in an office, nothing much in the way of casual. I cruise Princess a few months ago and that might be an older demographic than RCI. Am I right? Maybe I'd do better to put in some more casual blouses and nice jeans.

You will be fine either way.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

For Alaska I found layers to be my best friends as the weather can vary greatly. I wore a lot of neutral long sleeve tops over jeans. Also a pullover sweater or sweatshirt that could go over that. A few short sleeved tops in case it was really warm and also could be worn around the ship. A rain jacket with a medium weight lining and a hood was invaluable for rain and extra warmth. I got mine at L.L. Bean online. I also brought gloves for when we were viewing on deck. . All these same tops can double as evening wear with a pair of nice black pants, some cute shoes and nice jewelry or a silk scarf. I felt people did not dress up as much in the evening as other cruises I had been on. Don’t forget the binoculars. 

Mary Ann

• Like 1

Go on the You tube and search for Cruise fashions or what to wear on my cruise.  I particularly like Cruise tips TV, Sharon at Sea, Miss Crystal , Jamie Dorris and Jens happy home.  They have what I wore videos.  Many others there but they are very helpful. 

Is it a bad thing that I binge watch these channels and my cruise is 249 days away??

• Like 1

Usually a swimsuit with a cover up during the day and then leggings and a nice shirt in the evening.  Don't forget to pack a sweater for the evenings!  Some of the venues are chilly after spending a day in the sun.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

Having cruised to Alaska twice on Celebrity and Princess,  I can tell you that it is very casual.  You don't say which month you are traveling.  We actually went in May both times and went from snow in Denali to 70's in Skagway in the same trip.  On Princess, you could  wear jeans in the dining room.  Nobody dressed up very much for formal night.  I wore dressy slacks and top and it was fine.

I dress pretty casual during the day in shorts and t shirts for around the ship. In the evening I like dresses but take at least one sweater or wrap for the theaters that can get chilly.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned is long pants and socks if you plan to ice skate, and socks and tie shoes if you want to zip line.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 10:53 PM, Cyn874 said:

Layers are definitely, especially at night!  I found the dining room and evening entertainment chilly, so I was glad

to have an extra layer 🙂

So, first sending positive wishes and prayers, second , expect unexpected crying events... I can’t  Imagine losing him him, I have not lost hubby , but he is fighting st IV prostate ca, relatively fine right now, we did cruise last year our third cruise, and I cried all over, when he could not see,   I am now  a expert at hiding crying,.  I even cried reading your post.......but , around everyone having fun, it was a mood brightener it is a great idea to go, don’t be hard in yourself..  for the clothing.  I hate wet shirts /shirts from swimming long flowly  maxi pull,over dresses are great and they squish for traveling I love the ones that have a little waist definitation or button all the way so I can  unbutton and show a bit of leg, nothing as much fun as a flowly dress in sea breezes, and it dries fast ,  hate wet shorts lol