Restaurants Open

Vancouver Lil

8 hours ago, Vancouver Lil said:

we've been told to skip the buffet on embarkation day. Does anyone know what restaurants are open on the Norwegian Jewel?

We love to start our cruise with a visit to O'Sheehans. The food is fun, typical bar food and we take time to do some people watching plus have our first drink of the cruise. I don't think I would care about going to the MDR but a lot of people seem to enjoy it. We are not buffet people so avoid the buffet on embarkation day 

• Like 1

Tsar's Palace should be open at noon.  All the way aft on Deck 6.  We've visited the equivalent on the other Jewel-class ships (Gem & Pearl) & it's a great way to begin a cruise instead of dealing with the "thundering herds" in the Garden Cafe buffet.  Keep in mind the crew will try to "steer" you up to the Garden Cafe.  Just keep heading aft then take the stairs down to Deck 6 to the MDR, Tsar's Palace.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

Keep in mind the crew will try to "steer" you up to the Garden Cafe.  Just keep heading aft then take the stairs down to Deck 6 to the MDR, Tsar's Palace.

I wouldn't recommend ignoring the crew and just walking the other way; there's no way of knowing if a restaurant normally open on embarkation day might be closed for some reason. If you ask them which sit-down restaurants are open, they'll tell you where they are and how to get there.

14 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I have never been steered anywhere by the crew for embarkation lunch. Never had anyone try to send me anywhere in particular.

I obviously look well fed.

It's happened all three times we've cruised on NCL. There's nothing overt or pushy about it, mind you; the crew just greets you with "Welcome aboard the Jewel! Those elevators over there will take you right up to the buffet!" and zero mention of any sit-down restaurants. Now if you ask them which sit-down places are available, they'll tell you. But you have to know enough to ask in the first place.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RaiderDuck said:

It's happened all three times we've cruised on NCL. There's nothing overt or pushy about it, mind you; the crew just greets you with "Welcome aboard the Jewel! Those elevators over there will take you right up to the buffet!" and zero mention of any sit-down restaurants. Now if you ask them which sit-down places are available, they'll tell you. But you have to know enough to ask in the first place.

It's odd, because people say that happens, but I've sailed NCL 20+ times and honestly nobody has ever mentioned restaurants to me on embarkation. As I say, perhaps they don't think I need food. 🙂

• Haha 2

I love to enjoy a  sit down meal  upon arrival and be able to relax with food and drink !!  I go to the MDR (it is  the aft one as already mentioned. ). It is quiet and usually not crowded.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It's odd, because people say that happens, but I've sailed NCL 20+ times and honestly nobody has ever mentioned restaurants to me on embarkation. As I say, perhaps they don't think I need food. 🙂

I think I remember once or twice they did recommend the buffet, but certainly not often. Of course we usually just head to O'Sheehan's before anyone can direct us anywhere