Anything for foodies on NCL anymore?

quercus alba

Sailing on Joy next March.

When we last sailed, on Pearl in 2013 and 2015, there were "Chef's dinners"--private, multi-course menus with wine pairings for each course, for an extra fee, of course.

It was a great experience in 2013, but it appeared that they were using the same menu in 2015, and we opted for different things.

Are any of the ships still doing this? I haven't seen any mention of it here. And also wondering if there is anything similar even on a smaller scale at Le Bistro or Cagney's or Ocean Blue these days?

Not a make-or-break thing, but would be something to look forward to.

2 hours ago, quercus alba said:

Sailing on Joy next March.

When we last sailed, on Pearl in 2013 and 2015, there were "Chef's dinners"--private, multi-course menus with wine pairings for each course, for an extra fee, of course.

It was a great experience in 2013, but it appeared that they were using the same menu in 2015, and we opted for different things.

Are any of the ships still doing this? I haven't seen any mention of it here. And also wondering if there is anything similar even on a smaller scale at Le Bistro or Cagney's or Ocean Blue these days?

Not a make-or-break thing, but would be something to look forward to.

No. NCL did away with the chef's table several years ago. 

The closest you'll get is the small plates at the Food Republic. The link below provides you some of the FR menu. Menus for Le Bistro, Cagney's and Ocean Blue are also on the link 

In 2018 and twice this year Winemaker's Dinners were held on a few ships. I was fortunate to attend two of them and they were fantastic. Hoping to hear that NCL will continue this next year. Here's a link to previous dinners:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/norwegian-meet-the-winemaker-cruises-2018-2019

5 hours ago, Love my butler said:

No.  Even the ridiculous prices they charge at the pay restaurants doesn't get you a high end meal anymore.  Food quality has fallen substantially in the last few years.

Noticeable downgrade from my 2016 cruise to 2019. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

In 2018 and twice this year Winemaker's Dinners were held on a few ships. I was fortunate to attend two of them and they were fantastic. Hoping to hear that NCL will continue this next year. Here's a link to previous dinners:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/norwegian-meet-the-winemaker-cruises-2018-2019

They sound great and it's too bad they aren't doing them on more ships also more frequently.  

We too badly miss the Chef's dinners on NCL.  The several we attended were great evenings and we wish they would bring them back!  

We did something similar on a RCL cruise to Cuba 2 years ago and it was another amazing night meeting wonderful people, eating interesting food and having.a ton of laughs.

NCL... please bring back the Chef's dinners!!!!

I would say that a true foodie is out of luck on any NCL cruise ship. I am glad that I enjoy more simple fare and can find things I like on any cruise. I have done the Haven once and include their food in my opinion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Joeghartman said:

We have not had that experience with the exception of La Cucina. It has gone downhill, but we have still had great food in Le Bistro and Tapanakis> (I know spelling is not my thing) Oh, we also didn't have the best experience at Cagneys on our last cruise. The steaks were great but the service and the sides left a lot to be desired. Modernos was better this last cruise than it had been a few years ago. 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, Joeghartman said:

I was on my first cruise on the Breakaway in 2016 and was pleased with Cagney’s and La Cucina. I’ve only noticed a difference with Cagney's 7/2019 on the Escape...I thought it was because I tried a different steak cut than my usual filet mignon.  Pleased with meals in the Haven restaurant & Teppanyaki.  Moderno was okay but it’s not my favorite.  I hear La Cucina doesn’t serve traditional Italian meals like before...they didn’t even have caesars salad on the menu.  Some say the specialty dining packages offered as a promotion to almost everyone may be the reason.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:42 AM, vpearlkc said:

I would say that a true foodie is out of luck on any NCL cruise ship. I am glad that I enjoy more simple fare and can find things I like on any cruise. I have done the Haven once and include their food in my opinion.

Ditto!!!  Luckily it only takes steak, seafood, caesars salad & wine for me to be satisfied...don’t even need desert! 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, Joeghartman said:

yep, we noticed it with Cagneys. We only use our Vouchers for Le Bistro and Moderno and moderno we like the salad bar, other than that we don't go to the fee restaurants anymore.

29 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

I loved my food in Le Bistro and Cagneys, very close to high end in Le Bistro that's for sure (Breakaway in June).

Poor food in Teppanyaki IMO very tough steak, very disappointing.

Sorry to hear Teppanyaki was disappointing.  It’s one of my favorite specialty dining restaurant.  Filet mignon, shrimp, rice..& wine...I’m easy to please😎

19 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

Sorry to hear Teppanyaki was disappointing.  It’s one of my favorite specialty dining restaurant.  Filet mignon, shrimp, rice..& wine...I’m easy to please😎

We were on the Joy a couple of weeks ago and the Teppanyaki was great (had steak and it was soft and tender). Our cook needed a bit more practice though. 

2 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I normally love Teppanyaki but our chef wasn’t great and as I said the steak was really tough so very disappointed.

Will try it again maybe on the Getaway in December as other people clearly had better.

definitely want to try Ocean Blue next time, any thoughts on their food?

thanks

Pat 

1 hour ago, Deeliteful said:

I normally love Teppanyaki but our chef wasn’t great and as I said the steak was really tough so very disappointed.

Will try it again maybe on the Getaway in December as other people clearly had better.

thanks

Pat 

I haven’t tried Ocean Blue yet but on my next cruise in Apr 2020 I plan to try LeBistro.  I hear good things about LeBistro plus the food look very appetizing in YouTube videos.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:07 PM, Deeliteful said:

thanks

Pat 

Though we too love Teppanyaki's we have yet to have a really good and fun chef when it comes to the show part of the experience. I think something too many people do not realize cruise food is not the same as it was 20 years ago unless you want to go upscale on a luxury or superior line. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, lgdesign said:

They sound great and it's too bad they aren't doing them on more ships also more frequently.  

We too badly miss the Chef's dinners on NCL.  The several we attended were great evenings and we wish they would bring them back!  

We did something similar on a RCL cruise to Cuba 2 years ago and it was another amazing night meeting wonderful people, eating interesting food and having.a ton of laughs.

NCL... please bring back the Chef's dinners!!!!

Carnival even does a Chef's Table. We did it on a short trip to Cuba and it was wonderful.

To the original post's question, I thought the "Wine Lovers' Muscial" lunch and wine tasting was a fun foodie experience with a bit of nuance. They paired amazing wines with a variety of dishes from a simple chowder to duck course and a nice dessert.  It was whimsical and charming to learn how different wines are accented and what the lines/bubbles mean.

I highly recommend trying that out at least once, I did it on the Breakaway in May 2019, where I had my sad experience at Le Bistro with over seasoned escargots, room temp/congealed onion soup, and bad veal. I do agree food quality has declined in some ways on NCL, back in 2017 I was on NCL Gem and Le Bistro was a highlight. Now, I don't know if I ever want to return. I still love Cagneys and La Cucina though, the filet mignon is still just as good as a normal steakhouse and who can say no to Ossobuco at La Cucina