Going on Anthem next week, dinner jacket mandatory?

don2738

Hi,

Can I (adult male) attend formal night in a main dining room, with dress shirt and tie but no jacket?  It's strictly a suitcase space issue, the suit takes up a lot of room.  For the last 10 years I've been cruising Holland America or Princess and a dress shirt with tie and slacks was fine for formal nights.  (Those items are much more travel friendly). 

So I'll dress up, but hate to bring the suit if a nice shirt/ tie / slacks will get me in ok.

Don

PS: I know, I hate to bring up dress code stuff, but from what I read it has varied over the years and I saw at least one recent article saying RC was enforcing more.  I need to keep my suitcase under 50 lbs.  The RC website states suits, coats etc. but does use the word "suggested". 

14 minutes ago, don2738 said:

Hi,

Can I (adult male) attend formal night in a main dining room, with dress shirt and tie but no jacket? ..

No one cares anymore, dress suggestions are not enforced and therefore ignored by many.  Wear whatever you like.

54 minutes ago, don2738 said:

Hi,

Can I (adult male) attend formal night in a main dining room, with dress shirt and tie but no jacket?  It's strictly a suitcase space issue, the suit takes up a lot of room.  For the last 10 years I've been cruising Holland America or Princess and a dress shirt with tie and slacks was fine for formal nights.  (Those items are much more travel friendly). 

So I'll dress up, but hate to bring the suit if a nice shirt/ tie / slacks will get me in ok.

Don

PS: I know, I hate to bring up dress code stuff, but from what I read it has varied over the years and I saw at least one recent article saying RC was enforcing more.  I need to keep my suitcase under 50 lbs.  The RC website states suits, coats etc. but does use the word "suggested". 

If you are going to skip the suit, please wear your shirt and slacks without the tie.  A tie without a jacket is déclassé.

14 minutes ago, don2738 said:

Ah man, I just got a new paisley clip on too.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever folks want to wear, they are on vacation. 

We are also on vacation. Don't want to be well dressed for formal night and sit in the MDR with someone in shorts and t shirt next to me. It really is turning into a me, me, me world. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you are going to skip the suit, please wear your shirt and slacks without the tie.  A tie without a jacket is déclassé.

Oops. I guess my DH did it wrong. 🤷‍♀️

On our sailing (Aug 10th-15th), most wore at least khakis and a polo shirt. There was a real mix of casual, business casual, and suits. No one cared. Feel free to leave the jacket at home.

Dress however you like.  Our dining experience on Anthem was like Furr’s cafeteria.  Table next to us in ragged jean shorts and t-shirts, I would not dress that way nor be allowed in a nice restaurant at home that way.  Low ceilings and packed in there so tight you could not move your chair, Had never been on a ship where they had the four little dining rooms instead of the two floor grand one.  Guess at one time there were actually different restaurants you could go. 

I typically just go with slacks/polo almost every night, including formal, but I'll make sure to at least wear slacks and not shorts on formal for sure.  On one cruise, our family was so late on the ferry (Cozumel) that they were 10 minutes late for dinner, and that was rushing from the ferry right to the dining room, bags in hand.  It was formal night.  But they were a mess.  Nobody cared one bit.  We have also gone in shorts because we accidentally missed the note about it being formal night that night.  Again, nobody cares.  Used to dress up, but not anymore, it's a relaxed atmosphere and formal is dying, fast.  Leave the jacket at home, the tie and dress shirt, too.  No need for it unless you like to get dressed up.