Yellow Fever Shots

Jim B

OK.

Let me try.

If you have had your yellow fever vaccination for proof you "must" have the yellow fever vaccination certificate that shows when you had it.  It is good for life.  This is a must.  While someone might have made an exception with some letter don't ever count on  that happening the next time.

If you scroll down on the link I am providing it will talk about the waiver and also it provides a sample form.  You will find the writeup under the section with a title in blue that says  CONTRAINDICATIONS

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/travel-related-infectious-diseases/yellow-fever

While you can have your doctor put something on letter head (noting the medical reason(s) you cannot have the vaccine ideally it is best if you can have a place that actually administers the vaccine to fill out a form for you.  Yes you'll pay them but you will have more peace of mind they will be accepted.

Keith

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 12:24 PM, mariners said:

Wendy, if I remember correctly, we were on the same cruise but we chose to leave the cruise in Barbados because of family issues.  We could not leave the ship in Barbados until we showed proof, understandably, to the Barbadian authorities that we had the Yellow Fever vaccination.   We had received the vaccination, had proof that we had received the vaccination, and finally (after many hours) got to leave the ship after being "cleared".  We now have a letter that we take from our travel clinic that gives the date of our inoculation and also states that we should NOT be given another inoculation as it is no longer recommended. I would suggest that you get the same type of letter and travel with the letter, as well as your previous documents regarding the Yellow Fever vaccination, on your world cruise.   

Yes I certainly remember that, and that you left in Barbados, but didn't know that they demanded your vaccination certificate.  Funny that we didn't get asked at all, because I was sure I wouldn't be allowed ashore, ha ha.

Yes, we will definitely get that from the travel clinic next year.  I've been putting off getting the duplicate record (my yellow card), since we haven't needed any jabs for a while, but will be doing all of that for our world cruise in 2021 (hopefully.)

Regent finally reached its target audience (albeit a little late, in my opinion).  We are on the Dec 17 Rio to Miami cruise on board Mariner with stops in St. Lucia and St. Kitts on the return.  A couple of days ago, our TA forwarded a notice from Regent informing those passengers of the requirement for Yellow Fever vaccinations or waivers.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:14 AM, Keith1010 said:

OK.

Let me try.

If you have had your yellow fever vaccination for proof you "must" have the yellow fever vaccination certificate that shows when you had it.  It is good for life.  This is a must.  While someone might have made an exception with some letter don't ever count on  that happening the next time.

If you scroll down on the link I am providing it will talk about the waiver and also it provides a sample form.  You will find the writeup under the section with a title in blue that says  CONTRAINDICATIONS

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/travel-related-infectious-diseases/yellow-fever

While you can have your doctor put something on letter head (noting the medical reason(s) you cannot have the vaccine ideally it is best if you can have a place that actually administers the vaccine to fill out a form for you.  Yes you'll pay them but you will have more peace of mind they will be accepted.

Keith

Keith:

I hope that everyone reads your post and takes it seriously - while some may have been able to produce a letter from their doctor, there are many countries that require either the globally accepted yellow fever vaccination certificate or certified proof of contraindications. I was on another trip (not Regent) and prior to departure we were informed that we had to provide proof of yellow fever vaccination - for whatever reason, some participants did not bring their yellow vaccination certificate but other forms of "proof" which were not accepted for entry. I am sure this depends where in the world one is traveling but it is better to be safe than sorry.

gnomie

There are two issues regarding Yellow Fever:

1. Vaccination: This is a matter for you to discuss with your GP or other health professional as to whether you should have the Yellow Fever vaccination, and/or any other vaccinations, for the countries you are visiting.

2. Entry requirements: Each country has differing requirements as to what it requires from travellers when entering their country.

• Many have no requirement for a Yellow Fever certificate* 
  • Some require to see a Certificate (or official waiver) for those arriving from countries with a risk of Yellow Fever transmission. (It appears that St Lucia is in this category)
  • Others, a small minority, require to see a Certificate (or official waiver) for all those arriving (from wherever they are travelling)

* It can be confusing as some countries do not require a Yellow Fever certificate for entry into the country even though vaccination is recommended when travelling in that country e.g. Brazil and Panama.

Of course it is dependant on the efficiency of the individual immigration officers in the country being visited as to whether they actually ask to see your documentation but personally I would not risk travelling without the official vaccination certificate or official waiver.

It is disturbing that Regent have been giving incorrect and/or late information to their guests as to the correct requirements for their cruise.

flossie009, you're 100% right and how easy it would be for Regent on this board to clear the yellow fever question up.  Pretty easy.  However as much as most of us like Regent, they really need to work on the PR department-whoever is leading this department needs to do something now, not later.

My goodness...... everyone makes mistakes.  This thread is making me think of "Chicken Little" when he said that the sky is falling (for those of you that remember Chicken Little).  Whomever sent out the notices probably ran a program that indicated all itineraries that include St. Lucia and neglected to omit itineraries that visit ports with Yellow Fever issues.  

Rick, I believe (but am not sure) that Destination Services would be in charge of knowing/learning which ports in the world require this vaccination.  However, things change and it may be easier to simply look up the latest from the CDC (which is what I did just now).  

It is always good to read information on different cruising related topics but it is not good to feel like you are being lectured to and told what to do.  It is pretty obvious from this thread that posters think that they know what is going on, however, no definitive information has been shared.

Agree that this mistake should not have happened but the sky isn't falling (yet).

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My goodness...... everyone makes mistakes.  This thread is making me think of "Chicken Little" when he said that the sky is falling (for those of you that remember Chicken Little).  Whomever sent out the notices probably ran a program that indicated all itineraries that include St. Lucia and neglected to omit itineraries that visit ports with Yellow Fever issues.  

Rick, I believe (but am not sure) that Destination Services would be in charge of knowing/learning which ports in the world require this vaccination.  However, things change and it may be easier to simply look up the latest from the CDC (which is what I did just now).  

It is always good to read information on different cruising related topics but it is not good to feel like you are being lectured to and told what to do.  It is pretty obvious from this thread that posters think that they know what is going on, however, no definitive information has been shared.

Agree that this mistake should not have happened but the sky isn't falling (yet).

Jackie, I agree with you-I did the same thing and looked it up early in this post and copy & pasted to the post.  I'm just saying the PR Department of Regent did a lousy job in follow-up.  After all that's what they get to take care of this type of stuff.  Had they did their job, this post would have stopped early on.  That's all I saying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Jackie, I agree with you-I did the same thing and looked it up early in this post and copy & pasted to the post.  I'm just saying the PR Department of Regent did a lousy job in follow-up.  After all that's what they get to take care of this type of stuff.  Had they did their job, this post would have stopped early on.  That's all I saying.

Agree that the follow-up was not what it should have been.  Perhaps after all of these years of cruising Regent, I have become accustomed to their lack of communication (not saying that it is right).