Yellow Fever Shots

Jim B

Not very happy.

Just received notice that we will be required to have a yellow fever shot before our November 4th

cruise aboard the Navigator. NYC to MIA. St. Lucia is requiring it.

Our problem is

1. We had one 12 years ago when we did our Amazon cruise aboard the Mariner which has run out.

2. Now we have to drive 150 miles to Billings Montana to get another one before the cruise.

Jim, check to see if 12 years ago is good enough; they changed the "once every 10 years" a number of years back.  Because of medication, I had to get a doctor's letter stating that I could not take the vaccine; that might be an option, too.

Marc

PS Just checked state.gov and St Lucia is not listed as requiring Yellow Fever vaccination

PPS Here is the official WHO list:

ITH_country_list.pdf?ua=1

St Lucia requires if you are coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever; are you going to Dominican Republic before St Lucia?

Edited by mrlevin

Extract from CDC Website:

"Revaccination against yellow fever was previously required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR). In 2014, the World Health Assembly (of WHO) adopted the recommendation to amend the IHR by removing the 10-year booster dose requirement, and stipulated a 2-year transition period for this change. Consequently, as of July 11, 2016, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP) is valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Moreover, countries cannot require proof of revaccination (booster) against yellow fever as a condition of entry, even if the last vaccination was >10 years prior."

So your 12 year old Certificate should still be valid as proof of vaccination.

However, you should check with your own Health Professional and ask for confirmation from Regent as to what documentation they require you to carry.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Not very happy.

Just received notice that we will be required to have a yellow fever shot before our November 4th

cruise aboard the Navigator. NYC to MIA. St. Lucia is requiring it.

Our problem is

1. We had one 12 years ago when we did our Amazon cruise aboard the Mariner which has run out.

2. Now we have to drive 150 miles to Billings Montana to get another one before the cruise.

You should not need to get re-vaccinated as your previous vaccinations is good for life even if you certificate days 10-years, according to a rule change by WHO  in 2016.  This assumes that counties requiring vaccinations adhere to the IHRs:

"Currently, valid IHR international certificates of vaccination are now automatically valid for life of the traveller indicated. Nothing needs to be modified in the certificate; indeed under the IHR, any changes, deletions, erasures or additions may cause a certificate to be rendered invalid."

Here's the full statement:

https://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/

You may want to check with Regent to make sure that St Lucia is a signator.  I have heard that some immigration inspectors may not be aware of the change in the rule.

I'm on the same cruise as JimB. I don't know why they're requiring this . The CDC says the following: "Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission". I've also googled to see if there's any announcement from St Lucia government and nothing. So my question to Regent will be: Where are we traveling before St Lucia that is at risk of Yellow Fever?? Getting this vaccine will cost me $$$, and not planning to get it unless Regent clarifies where is this directive coming from. Frankly, for Regent to send this email so cavalierly is concerning. 

• Like 1

We went to St. Lucia three years ago (after sailing the Amazon).  We did not have Yellow Fever vaccinations and they were not required.  We loved St. Lucia (and are not fans of most of the Caribbean).  Something major must have changed since then for them to require this vaccination!

I was in St Lucia last year, no such vaccination required , as its not required anywhere in the Caribbean that I'm aware of. So the question indeed is : what's particular to St Lucia that is now being required?  If something has erupted there, why the heck are we going? Yellow fever vaccine is not a common or casual thing you would get just for the heck of it, like a flu or pneumonia vaccine. I'm certainly not that anxious to go to St Lucia if I need to undergo that vaccine, cant believe many passengers on this cruise will be. Ive asked my travel agent to get from Regent what is the basis for St Lucia making this request. 

25 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

I was in St Lucia last year, no such vaccination required , as its not required anywhere in the Caribbean that I'm aware of. So the question indeed is : what's particular to St Lucia that is now being required?  If something has erupted there, why the heck are we going? Yellow fever vaccine is not a common or casual thing you would get just for the heck of it, like a flu or pneumonia vaccine. I'm certainly not that anxious to go to St Lucia if I need to undergo that vaccine, cant believe many passengers on this cruise will be. Ive asked my travel agent to get from Regent what is the basis for St Lucia making this request. 

Maria, please let us know what you TA says about this.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Maria, please let us know what you TA says about this.  Thanks!

I certainly will. In the meantime, first thing in the morning I'll be calling either the Consulate in NYC or Embassy in Washington and asking them about this requirement. Are people flying into the island being required to vaccinate? Cant believe it'll be good for their tourism. Many other beautiful islands in the Caribbean. 

18 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

If I can’t get on ship without it, I’ll have to cancel cruise.  I cannot under any circumstances take a live vaccine. 

Ive already made final payment, but if I'm told I have to get vaccinated  I'll fight it.  This is a serious vaccine with side effects. People that elect to travel to areas like the Amazon or Africa where it might be required its their prerogative. But when somebody books a plain vanilla Caribbean cruise, I dont think that pax is expecting to be asked down the road to vaccinate against yellow fever! What's next, ebola vaccine?

I have now scoured Cruise Critic and the internet, looking for other travelers asking about this. Nothing, just this thread and the one on Roll call.. 

Don't believe everything Regent tells you about vaccinations or visas.  They've been wrong before and I think they are wrong now.  You only need a yellow fever vaccination if you arrive in St. Lucia from a country that has yellow fever cases.  Your cruise does not come from such a country (i.e., Bermuda, St. Kitts or Antigua) so there should not be a vaccination requirement.  On the other hand, a month later, there is a Mariner cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami that arrives in St. Lucia directly from Brazil, a yellow fever country.  On the Mariner cruise, entering St. Lucia will require a yellow fever vaccination or a valid vaccination exemption since it comes from a yellow fever country.  Obviously, someone at Regent feels this is a one size fits all situation but it is not.

The only references to yellow fever on the St. Lucia government website are from 2017 when there was a yellow fever outbreak in parts of Brazil, including Rio.  The vaccination rules described above were discussed.  Unless there is something very recent, I doubt the yellow fever vaccination policy has changed.

Dave

• Like 1

Just looked it up on IAMAT web page. It's also good for life if you have it.

Saint Lucia Required Vaccinations:
Yellow Fever

Entry requirements

A Yellow Fever vaccination certificate is only required for travellers 9 months of age and older coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission.

The vaccination requirement is imposed by this country for protection against Yellow Fever since the principal mosquito vector Aedes aegypti is present in its territory.

Last reviewed and updated: August 2019

• Like 1

On the other side -- just thinking out loud😁.  If for some crazy🤔 reason we're wrong and you had to have the shot💪we'll just call it a sea day and stay on the ship and start the day at the Coffee Connection🍩.

Edited by ronrick1943

2 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just looked it up on IAMAT web page. It's also good for life if you have it.

Saint Lucia Required Vaccinations:
Yellow Fever

Entry requirements

A Yellow Fever vaccination certificate is only required for travellers 9 months of age and older coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission.

The vaccination requirement is imposed by this country for protection against Yellow Fever since the principal mosquito vector Aedes aegypti is present in its territory.

Last reviewed and updated: August 2019

Ron

Thanks for your research!

I checked the countries on the list. The cruise that folks are discussing are not on the list.  

Regent should have done their homework, although since many  South American countries are on the list, they were being extra careful. 

Maria - you and Bob are fine!

Sheila

• Like 1

I haven't read every post but I am a bit confused.

It used to be that you needed a Yellow Fever Vaccination every ten years.

That is not longer the case.

If you have your Yellow Fever Certificate showing that you have received the vaccination that is all you need.  As long as you have had it one time it is good for life.

Keith

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rcandkc said:

If I can’t get on ship without it, I’ll have to cancel cruise.  I cannot under any circumstances take a live vaccine. 

Just get a letter from your doctor saying you can't take the vaccine; it worked for me. 

Marc

8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Ron

Thanks for your research!

I checked the countries on the list. The cruise that folks are discussing are not on the list.  

Regent should have done their homework, although since many  South American countries are on the list, they were being extra careful. 

Maria - you and Bob are fine!

Sheila

Sheila, thanks, you're correct. We leave from NYC, and the only ports we visit before St Lucia are Bermuda, St Kitts and Antigua. At least half the cruises of companies like Royal Caribbean  would be affected if this "requirement" was correct, but of course they aren't.  I'm really annoyed that Regent has put people in a tailspin by not checking their facts. Being "extra careful" not an excuse when telling people they need get a vaccine like the one for Yellow fever! I just spoke to the Embassy of St Lucia in Washington and they told me they dont know of such requirement for a cruise like ours. She will be confirming with somebody directly in the government in St Lucia, but will have to wait until Hurricane Dorian passes as they're in shutdown mode down there. 

• Like 1