When to buy Specialty Dining Package

wsg

No particular advantage - unless your currency fluctuates against the Dollar.  Prices on board are all in dollars so you might get a fractionally better deal purchasing in advance in your own currency. 

You don't get assigned to a specialty restaurant.  You choose what you want and book a table.  Some nights sell out quickly so if you are looking for a special occasion it would probably be safer to book on line in advance.

• Like 1

I seen that also on the dining pkg. so if you do the Trio Dining Pkg you have to go to one the first night. Not sure Id want to do that. Needing to dress up after sail-away party and all that makes it impossible to eat at their time of 6-6:30  p.m. or too late kind of at 8-8:30 p.m.

8 p.m. wouldn't be bad but who knows what other times the rest of the evenings they pigeon hole you in. 

• Like 1

If you are flexible on times and days, I'd wait until on-board....and see what offers come along on day 3, etc.  If you want to start your cruise with a specialty dining meal, they are generally 1/2 off the first night....without any package....and you can book that in advance.  For the others, I'd wait.  The only restaurant that is sometimes full, without offers is Murano on the ships that still have it.  The other restaurants are rarely filled and deals can be made...eg. 30% off or more.  We only eat at those restaurants when its a BOGO...and that happens on about 40% of our cruises.

I agree with the above. I wouldn't pre-purchase the package. All will have specials the first night. And you can nearly always get 20 to 30% off  if you just ask what kind of deal they are offering on other nights.

26 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

I seen that also on the dining pkg. so if you do the Trio Dining Pkg you have to go to one the first night. Not sure Id want to do that. Needing to dress up after sail-away party and all that makes it impossible to eat at their time of 6-6:30  p.m. or too late kind of at 8-8:30 p.m.

8 p.m. wouldn't be bad but who knows what other times the rest of the evenings they pigeon hole you in. 

There is no need to dress up. The specialty restaurants are smart casual every night. Unless your idea of "dressing up" includes  wearing shorts to dinner, you'll be fine. Then again, if you dine on the early side, you can probably (don't flame me here, I'm not advocating this) even wear shorts if your luggage hasn't yet been delivered on the first night.

I always go around and look to see what specialty restaurant we want to eat at and give them my name and room number and to contact me if if they have any discounts and tables available for any night. 

I can can usually get 50% off but you don’t get much notice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

We have purchased both the trio package and the first night at Tuscan Grill for 30% off. I am going on the assumption that, because I don’t actually have a reservation for the Trio, just a theoretical hold, I can move that to another evening once we’re onboard. If not, I’ll cancel it and use the OBC to book ala carte.