Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

Haha, talk about "Thread Drift".  As to the ongoing World Cruise, I saw the best picture of a flock of Red Footed Boobies on an upper deck rail on Viking Sun.  A passenger posted it on the Viking Facebook site and I, being Facebook challenged (saw it on my Wife's account) can't figure out how to get it over here.  The ship was off Noumea in the modified WC itinerary and it is a great picture.  Anyone on FB that can post it here, great!😎  Looks like some of the substitute stops are nice places.

1 hour ago, Gigiandbaba said:

What was the name of that cruise-sounds great!!!?

We did this in 2016.  It does not exist anymore.  You can build it yourself for 2022 when they return to Istanbul.  There were 4 legs.  Istanbul to Rome, Rome to Barcelona, Barcelona to Bergen and Bergen to Stockholm.  50 days in all.  We are still in awe. 

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I, being Facebook challenged (saw it on my Wife's account) can't figure out how to get it over here.  

From the "facebook help community"...  

You will need to download each photo manually. Click on a selected photo, go to Options and Download.
You can also go here: https://www.facebook.com/settings and Download a copy of your Facebook data.

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

From the "facebook help community"...  

You will need to download each photo manually. Click on a selected photo, go to Options and Download.
You can also go here: https://www.facebook.com/settings and Download a copy of your Facebook data.

Thanks.  I bailed on FB a long time ago but DW Air Dropped it to me.  Hope it posts.

IMG_0498.JPG

• Like 5

Cool picture!  I've never been a member of FB and so probably know even less than you do; however, can't you just drag a picture off a FB page to the desktop, then from there import to wherever you want? If it's like Shutterfly, however, you may have to download it. I'm not a blogger or anything remotely close to (can't even imagine trying to find the time to keep up with something like that), so, I know how to upload / download /share pics, and edit / photo enhance them. Gut genug. For anything more complicated, I rely on Apple Support!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

45 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Cool picture!  I've never been a member of FB and so probably know even less than you do; however, can't you just drag a picture off a FB page to the desktop, then from there import to wherever you want? If it's like Shutterfly, however, you may have to download it. I'm not a blogger or anything remotely close to (can't even imagine trying to find the time to keep up with something like that), so, I know how to upload / download /share pics, and edit / photo enhance them. Gut genug. For anything more complicated, I rely on Apple Support!  

Love that pic. 
Only way I’ve done it was to hold my finger down on the photo until a menu appears. Select  “save image”  
It goes into my photo stream. 
Then I go to CcC, select Photo “library” & you know the rest...

The World Cruise, aka Magical Mystery Tour (this is our new name for the cruise and it's meant as a term of endearment) is now finalised.

The Captain has issued a letter outlining the itinerary for the next segment, which is:

Date                 Orig Itinerary                     Revised Itinerary

09th March       HK/Singapore                   Bali

10th March       HK/Singapore                   Bali

11th March       At Sea                                Lombok, Indonesia

12th March       At Sea                                At Sea

13th March       Saigon                               At Sea

14th March       Saigon                               Semarang, Java

15th March       Saigon                               At Sea

16th March       At Sea                                At Sea

17th March       Cambodia                         At Sea

18th March       Bangkok                            At Sea

19th March       Bangkok                            At Sea

20th March       Koh Samui                        Galle, Sri Lanka - since some are rather picky, this time I opted for the new name

21st March       At Sea                                Colombo

22nd March      Singapore                          Colombo

23rd March       KL                                       At Sea

24th March       Georgetown                      Maldives

25th March       Phuket                               Maldives

26th March       At Sea                                At Sea

27th March       At Sea                                Cochin, India

28th March       Chennai (Madras)            Cochin, India

29th March       At Sea                                Mangalore, India

30th March       At Sea                                Goa, India

31st March       Cochin                               Goa, India

1st April             At Sea                                At Sea

2nd April           Goa                                     Mumbai (Bombay)

3rd April             Bombay                             Mumbai (Bombay)

In addition, although the itinerary change is entirely due to external factors, Viking are providing a compensation package. This is unbelievable and yet again Viking Customer service blows us away. Future Cruise Vouchers (FCV) are being provided, based on the following percentages of the cruise fare paid:

• Ultimate WC (missed 14 of 111 ports) - 15%
  • World Wonders (L/A - London, missed 14 of 53 ports) - 30%
  • Sydney to London (missed 14 of 38 ports) - 40%
  • Sydney to Bali (missed 5 of 14 ports) - 40%

We will receive an email in 10 to 12 days confirming the amount of the FCV. The FCV will be emailed upon our return home and are valid on any river or ocean voyage within 1 year.

In addition, they are offering the whiners the option of disembarking and receiving a refund for the unused portion of the cruise.

Under the circumstances, we did not expect any compensation, so were blown away, not only with the offer, but in that it is extremely generous.

• Like 10

Here is another example of how incredible the service is aboard the Viking Sun. A couple of nights ago, at the T-Bone steak night, both of our steaks and our friends steak weren't even close to being cooked properly. Both our steaks weren't even "Blue" when we requested MR & medium.

Considering we have already been aboard for 6 weeks, having 1 poor meal is minor and for us wasn't an issue. Ship happens, anyone can have a bad night, especially when you have a queue waiting for steaks. Our regular waiter was working the World Cafe that night and cleared away the plates. Well, the news has reached the Executive Chef, who has just phoned to apologise and wants to provide us a steak dinner in the cabin.

OMG !!! this is amazing customer service. Yet again we thank our lucky stars for selecting Viking as our new preferred cruise line.

• Like 9

Wow. That’s very generous. Ship happens better on Viking. 

The revised itinerary is a logistical marvel on such short notice for circumstances beyond Viking’s control. In net,  only one more day at sea compared to the original itinerary. 

Well done Viking!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The World Cruise, aka Magical Mystery Tour (this is our new name for the cruise and it's meant as a term of endearment) is now finalised.

The Captain has issued a letter outlining the itinerary for the next segment, which is:

Date                 Orig Itinerary                     Revised Itinerary

09th March       HK/Singapore                   Bali

10th March       HK/Singapore                   Bali

11th March       At Sea                                Lombok, Indonesia

12th March       At Sea                                At Sea

13th March       Saigon                               At Sea

14th March       Saigon                               Semarang, Java

15th March       Saigon                               At Sea

16th March       At Sea                                At Sea

17th March       Cambodia                         At Sea

18th March       Bangkok                            At Sea

19th March       Bangkok                            At Sea

20th March       Koh Samui                        Galle, Sri Lanka - since some are rather picky, this time I opted for the new name

21st March       At Sea                                Colombo

22nd March      Singapore                          Colombo

23rd March       KL                                       At Sea

24th March       Georgetown                      Maldives

25th March       Phuket                               Maldives

26th March       At Sea                                At Sea

27th March       At Sea                                Cochin, India

28th March       Chennai (Madras)            Cochin, India

29th March       At Sea                                Mangalore, India

30th March       At Sea                                Goa, India

31st March       Cochin                               Goa, India

1st April             At Sea                                At Sea

2nd April           Goa                                     Mumbai (Bombay)

3rd April             Bombay                             Mumbai (Bombay)

In addition, although the itinerary change is entirely due to external factors, Viking are providing a compensation package. This is unbelievable and yet again Viking Customer service blows us away. Future Cruise Vouchers (FCV) are being provided, based on the following percentages of the cruise fare paid:

• Ultimate WC (missed 14 of 111 ports) - 15%
  • World Wonders (L/A - London, missed 14 of 53 ports) - 30%
  • Sydney to London (missed 14 of 38 ports) - 40%
  • Sydney to Bali (missed 5 of 14 ports) - 40%

We will receive an email in 10 to 12 days confirming the amount of the FCV. The FCV will be emailed upon our return home and are valid on any river or ocean voyage within 1 year.

In addition, they are offering the whiners the option of disembarking and receiving a refund for the unused portion of the cruise.

Under the circumstances, we did not expect any compensation, so were blown away, not only with the offer, but in that it is extremely generous.

Viking never ceases to amaze me. 
last month, we were supposed to go to Cuba (On The Sky). 
As you may recall, our government “shut that opportunity down”. 
It was not Viking’s fault.
Viking immediately refunded the money plus the TripMate insurance money.    
We could have taken their Caribbean option, but we had already booked our October West Indies cruise on The Sun.

We ended up spending that refund (& then some) on our upcoming British Isles Cruise, on The Jupiter.  
I’m thrilled that the whiners will now hopefully leave The Sun😌 

• Like 3

Andy, if you weren't scheduled for Lombok somewhere along the line and haven't researched it, I recommend Rinjani transport for a private tour. We had a nice van for 2 of us and had a good tour of beaches, a native village, a little show, rice fields, etc. It was $25 I think. They have a website. The folks on the ships tours weren't happy. Traffic there is crazy.

Yet again, Mr. Hasan and the rest of the leadership team at Viking step up and put the passengers ahead of its bottom line.  So incredibly generous, especially in light of the circumstances.  Bravo, Viking!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Galle, Sri Lanka - since some are rather picky, this time I opted for the new name

"New name"?  The name is 48 years old!  The country became a republic within the Commonwealth in 1972, changed its name to Sri Lanka, and ditched the British monarchy.  Sorry about that if you're a monarchist.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 1