Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

Just got back aboard from our first day ashore in Bali. Wow! busy day.

After Bevan's announcement this morning we had a very quick brekkie, then down to the Theatre for the 07:30 meeting. In attendance were Captain, Norbert (GM) Bevan (C/Dir) and Karl, he is an Executive Officer in Basel and also relieved as GM on departure L/A.

Karl advised that as the virus situation is changing daily, Viking have made an Executive decision and are turning the Viking Sun into a virtual private yacht, from tomorrow until arrival London, which means:

• No new passengers will be permitted to board the vessel. Unfortunately, they were unable to catch some pax hoping to board in Bali before they departed home. However, they have a team at the airport and will do them right.
  • Crew - they are not reducing the crew and in fact, they asked if it was OK to bring another 50 crew aboard the ship in Bali. The new crew have already been quarantined for 2 weeks and will be quarantined for an additional week, before receiving a complete free bill of health. Therefore, the crew/pax ratio is about 1:1
  • We are completely bypassing SE Asia and they have concerns, if ports in India, will be open when we get there.
  • On departure Bali we are steaming for Colombo, where we dock for bunkers and victuals. This is a technical stop, with no shore leave possible.
  • We are going to have the most amazing cruise aboard this magnificent private yacht.
  • No itinerary is known at this time, as it will be adjusted based on the developing virus situation and which ports are accepting cruise ships with a clean bill of health.
  • Karl discussed compensation briefly and indicated Viking, as always, will do us right. He indicated we will be notified in London.

Yet again, Viking leads the industry in customer service and putting the health and safety of their customers and crew way before considerations of the bottom line, which is the primary driver for the mega ship cruise lines.

We are so happy to have found Viking and even more so for being aboard this great vessel.

Unfortunately, we really feel so sorry for those that have flown to Bali and will be unable to board. Wishing you all safe flights home, or where ever you go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Just saw an interview between Viking Sun passenger and local TV reporter. Passengers were permitted to disembark in Bali.

I'll be interested to get updates from Andy and others later today.

Affirmative, we got ashore.

However, due to the questionable standards of the local fake media, we were advised the media would be ashore, but requested not to give any comments. As with most media, what comes out the mouth is rarely what gets printed, especially when it is translated.

Very disappointed some passenger elected to disregard the advice and comment to the media. The media were the cause of our issues in Indonesian ports. Remember the link somebody posted yesterday from the lying Jakarta News that printed we weren't getting ashore. Well, we got ashore today and will also be going ashore tomorrow.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, we got ashore.

However, due to the questionable standards of the local fake media, we were advised the media would be ashore, but requested not to give any comments. As with most media, what comes out the mouth is rarely what gets printed, especially when it is translated.

Very disappointed some passenger elected to disregard the advice and comment to the media. The media were the cause of our issues in Indonesian ports. Remember the link somebody posted yesterday from the lying Jakarta News that printed we weren't getting ashore. Well, we got ashore today and will also be going ashore tomorrow.

It was widely reported in Australian media this morning that the ship was refused entry into Bali .. then lo and behold a couple of hours later the same media were interviewing pax who were disembarking.

You Andy and any fellow pax who are good enough to take the time to post are the only true source of information. 

Boo hoo to fake news, thank you for your posts, and cheers to everyone on board.

I hope to be able to buy you an IPA one day.

Best wishes to you and all on board for a safe onward journey.

C99

• Like 2

I am so happy to hear that everyone was able to disembark in Bali but so sorry to hear that some have already left home for Bali not realising they won’t be able to board the ship and experience the holiday they had planned.  We are due to join the ship in Mumbai and cruise to London. As the situation with the virus is worsening in Australia we have been concerned about travelling overseas and are not sure whether to cancel our trip or wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.   Cruise Critic have also reported on their site that Malta turned a MSC ship away a couple of days ago, so I am concerned ports in the Mediterranean will start to turn ships away.  From all the wonderful posts I feel like I have been cruising with you all over the past months counting down the days until it was our turn to board.  After today’s meeting with the GM it sounds like the ship is not stopping in India to pickup pax’s so the decision has been made for us about travelling.  I wish everyone onboard a safe and healthy journey to London and thank you so much for all the helpful feedback on the current cruising situation.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

It was widely reported in Australian media this morning that the ship was refused entry into Bali .. then lo and behold a couple of hours later the same media were interviewing pax who were disembarking.

You Andy and any fellow pax who are good enough to take the time to post are the only true source of information. 

Boo hoo to fake news, thank you for your posts, and cheers to everyone on board.

I hope to be able to buy you an IPA one day.

Best wishes to you and all on board for a safe onward journey.

C99

Thanks C99 - Likewise, hoping to meet any of the regular posters on the Viking Board.

Just sipping a delectable Norwegian IPA, as I hunt and peck at the keys.😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Walker56* said:

I am so happy to hear that everyone was able to disembark in Bali but so sorry to hear that some have already left home for Bali not realising they won’t be able to board the ship and experience the holiday they had planned.  We are due to join the ship in Mumbai and cruise to London. As the situation with the virus is worsening in Australia we have been concerned about travelling overseas and are not sure whether to cancel our trip or wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.   Cruise Critic have also reported on their site that Malta turned a MSC ship away a couple of days ago, so I am concerned ports in the Mediterranean will start to turn ships away.  From all the wonderful posts I feel like I have been cruising with you all over the past months counting down the days until it was our turn to board.  After today’s meeting with the GM it sounds like the ship is not stopping in India to pickup pax’s so the decision has been made for us about travelling.  I wish everyone onboard a safe and healthy journey to London and thank you so much for all the helpful feedback on the current cruising situation.  

We were advised this morning that everyone boarding in Mumbai is being cancelled and Viking are providing recompense, as only Viking can, as industry leaders.

At the present time, no information is confirmed regarding access to Indian ports.However, to protect the passengers already aboard and the crew, Viking made a Corporate decision that NO additional passengers will be permitted to board before London.

Pax scheduled to disembark in Bali or Mumbai, who are already on board have the option of extending.

960053870_VikingSunbowORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.b2597fcc3443c6f1a203d071539701d1.jpg

When we arrived in Bali, we were aboard the magnificent Viking Sun, as seen above.

However, based on the meeting at 07:30 this morning, we are departing Bali on the "Magical Mystery Tour", aboard a private yacht. Please note the subtle difference on the bow. 😁😁😁😁

Introducing the World's Largest Private Yacht

918733984_VikingSunbow.thumb.jpg.837dcbb8badd64e45af8956377cd5ba1.jpg

As the Captain mentions on the Noon report, "It is what it is".

Disclaimer - this photo has been tweaked in Photoshop, and is a tongue in cheek, comical representation of the magnificent Viking Sun, based on information provided to the London based passengers this morning. We were informed no other passengers were boarding and in effect we were aboard a private yacht, to complete the World Cruise.

Hoping all the Viking aficionados enjoy this little bit of humour from aboard Viking Sun on the Ultimate 245-Day World Cruise. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

When we arrived in Bali, we were aboard the magnificent Viking Sun, as seen above.

However, based on the meeting at 07:30 this morning, we are departing Bali on the "Magical Mystery Tour", aboard a private yacht. Please note the subtle difference on the bow. 😁😁😁😁

Disclaimer - this photo has been tweaked in Photoshop, and is a tongue in cheek, comical representation of the magnificent Viking Sun, based on information provided to the London based passengers this morning. We were informed no other passengers were boarding and in effect we were aboard a private yacht, to complete the World Cruise.

Hoping all the Viking aficionados enjoy this little bit of humour from aboard Viking Sun on the Ultimate 245-Day World Cruise. 

Good one Andy.  And I know you will have a better crew than that lot on "Below Decks".... It's not cruising, It's Yachting.🍺

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I love it, thank you so much.  What a great decision to not allow new passengers on board.  It certainly is disappointing for them but sure relieves the "should i go/not go" stress for them.  Its a great way to protect those healthy aboard.  The Viking Sun may be the first successful "quarantine" of a cruise ship by protecting the healthy.  I would certainly choose to stay aboard rather then go home to uncertainty.  Maybe this will be resolved by the time you dock in London.  Is the return date still the same?

• Like 1

Wow, seems interesting that they would rather sail all but empty and eat all the air cancelation charges rather than have folks join you. How many of you will there be aboard?  We currently have 525 guests and it is feels very strange. I can only imagine what it will be like with so many less. 

Maybe they will rotate each couple through the Owner’s Suite for a week or something?

• Like 1

I hope all the world cruisers are keeping a journal. You have the  the making of a great memoir !

Also the makings of great storytelling  for conversations for years to come.

When you have time after your tours of Bali, I would love to hear  how  staff and crew are doing with the latest news.  

The twists and turns  due to this BlackSwan" event  of the COVID-19  virus and the action Viking has taken  is amazing.

As Andy said above , this is a standard the cruising industry  should follow.

Enjoy  your new yachting experience as you journey across seas to the final destination. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wow, seems interesting that they would rather sail all but empty and eat all the air cancellation charges rather than have folks join you. How many of you will there be aboard?  We currently have 525 guests and it is feels very strange. I can only imagine what it will be like with so many less. 

We were on the Sea during the first cruise in the Caribbean post hurricane and if memory serves there were about 450 passengers onboard which felt really weird and almost like a ghost ship.  In retrospect we should have cancelled given the fact that San Juan was in a shambles, but due to prior engagements we didn't have the luxury of cancelling.

As for costs, this is going to be a massive hit to the bottom line and anyone who thinks Hagen is going to brush it off or under the rug cause he's worth a couple billion is really living on cloud cuckoo land....with all due respect.

Companies that run 'small' ships but charge higher fares might seem like they're raking in cash, but they're front-end loaded meaning people can pay their fare and quite easily spend virtually little to nothing onboard for the duration of the cruise.  The larger ships however are back-end loaded so even if someone pays a few hundred dollars per person to get onboard they will inevitably walk away having spent at least 3-4 times that amount in added expenses and when you multiply that by 3000 the math is simple!

Now, add cancelled airfares (some if not many in business or premium cabins), refunded cruise fares, compensation for those currently onboard and the bottom line is going to hurt as there's not a massive revenue stream onboard its not something that can be shrugged off.  

I'm not trying to be a harbinger of doom and gloom among all the happy shiny sentiments, but there's been examples in the past where cruise lines have suffered financial setbacks after a global event (i.e. Renaissance) and they never recovered...

Andy, as one of the owners of your "Yacht", do you get any input as to potential destinations?  Hopefully there will be plenty of options given that y'all have been checked and re checked over and over.

• Like 1

Wow what a mess...We were devastated not to be able to go on this long awaited cruise and post cruise visit to India but so relieved that were told in time before we made our 32 hour flight to Bali.

Viking is working incredibly hard on compensation plans and they are ongoing as I type this.

We spent nearly 7 hours with them trying to salvage a long planned vacation.  Cudos to Viking...we just re-booked to a 13 day Viking Star cruise (even got the exact same cabin as we would have on the Sun) leaving on March 10 (yes 2 days) to Norway's Northern Lights and adding an 8 day Rhine River cruise from Amsterdam to Basel right after.  As Norway and a river cruise were next on our bucket list, we were delighted that timing for these 2 cruises fit our schedules perfectly.  Looking forward to new adventures.  Now to swap all our hot weather clothes for snowy conditions.

Wishing those aboard a safe and enjoyable passage to London or wherever you finally land!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shadowfox7 said:

Wow what a mess...We were devastated not to be able to go on this long awaited cruise and post cruise visit to India but so relieved that were told in time before we made our 32 hour flight to Bali.

Viking is working incredibly hard on compensation plans and they are ongoing as I type this.

We spent nearly 7 hours with them trying to salvage a long planned vacation.  Cudos to Viking...we just re-booked to a 13 day Viking Star cruise (even got the exact same cabin as we would have on the Sun) leaving on March 10 (yes 2 days) to Norway's Northern Lights and adding an 8 day Rhine River cruise from Amsterdam to Basel right after.  As Norway and a river cruise were next on our bucket list, we were delighted that timing for these 2 cruises fit our schedules perfectly.  Looking forward to new adventures.  Now to swap all our hot weather clothes for snowy conditions.

Wishing those aboard a safe and enjoyable passage to London or wherever you finally land!

Just glad that you have closure. 
We’ll be in Oslo on May 01 (VO pre-cruise). 
We are hoping we can do our trip...fingers & toes crossed, but will be, will be. 
I am thrilled that everyone was a able to disembark in Bali. 
I just want everyone safe & healthy.  
Travel safely & have a total blast😌

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Good one Andy.  And I know you will have a better crew than that lot on "Below Decks".... It's not cruising, It's Yachting.🍺

Thanks Jim,

Only met a few of this amazing crew last night, as we went up to World Cafe, then an early night. So far the response is very positive, with the crew asking if we are staying, and they are very happy when we respond not only "Yes", but "H.ll Yes"

Even Viking are joining in with humour, as the "Viking Daily" front page introduced the next segment as the:

• Magical Mystery Tour - 9th March to 3rd April 2020 - Bali to Somewhere 

Brilliant

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I love it, thank you so much.  What a great decision to not allow new passengers on board.  It certainly is disappointing for them but sure relieves the "should i go/not go" stress for them.  Its a great way to protect those healthy aboard.  The Viking Sun may be the first successful "quarantine" of a cruise ship by protecting the healthy.  I would certainly choose to stay aboard rather then go home to uncertainty.  Maybe this will be resolved by the time you dock in London.  Is the return date still the same?

With the situation changing daily, the only itinerary known at this time is we depart Bali about 18:00 tonight and will stop in Colombo for Bunkers & stores. Don't know where the Mumbai bound pax will disembark, not our final destination/date.

They hope to get us to Petra & Egypt, but only time will tell, if the virus permits.

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wow, seems interesting that they would rather sail all but empty and eat all the air cancelation charges rather than have folks join you. How many of you will there be aboard?  We currently have 525 guests and it is feels very strange. I can only imagine what it will be like with so many less. 

Maybe they will rotate each couple through the Owner’s Suite for a week or something?

Clay - at this time the final count is unknown, as pax are changing/making stay/go decisions almost hourly. My best guess is that we will have about 400 (+/= 50).

Regarding the Owner's Suite - up on Dk 7 and crossing the Indian Ocean, DW would not thank you for all that space. We are most happy with our DV 4 down on Dk 4 and m'ships. We don't buy into the hype of bigger cabins in the worst locations aboard the ship.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nashna said:

Did many passengers leave the cruise in Bali?  Our friends were scheduled to sail to London and they posted on FB that Viking had arranged for them to fly home from Bali.

Some started leaving as early as the original announcement, but in Bali, best guess is 400 - 500 are leaving.

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy, as one of the owners of your "Yacht", do you get any input as to potential destinations?  Hopefully there will be plenty of options given that y'all have been checked and re checked over and over.

Jim - I'm thinking we may not have many options available and will only be able to go where ports are open.