Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

26 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Some started leaving as early as the original announcement, but in Bali, best guess is 400 - 500 are leaving.

How many passengers are left?  It is sounding like you truly are sailing on a private yacht.  Love your attitude!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nashna said:

How many passengers are left?  It is sounding like you truly are sailing on a private yacht.  Love your attitude!

It's changing hourly, but best guess is 400 (+/- 50) will depart Bali.

Appreciate following the travels of the *Private Yacht* on a Magical Mystery tour.  We were schedule for the Orion in Japan but when it was cancelled we changed to the British Isle -so we board on your ship May 2nd in London.  I am curious if passengers on that cruise are opting out.  With the generous offer from Viking it is a wait and see for us.  We booked our air (transferred from our Hong Kong/Tokyo trip) to London and return from Oslo so hoping if we cancel we can get our money back. As it is an every changing story we are just waiting for a couple weeks to decide what to do.

The  "Magical Mystery Tour" may be the safest place in the world right now.  Everyone has been tested, no one new entering your environment, "coaches" making sure everyone washes their hands, no new folks being allowed on-board, etc. - tell me one other spot in the world that has as controlled environment. Plus you get pampered by the wonderful Viking crew.   I am envious!!!!!

• Like 7

An itinerary has just been posted on the telly:

March 9th - Dep Bali

Mar 10 - 14 (5 sea days)

Mar 11-12  - Colombo

Mar 17-19 (3 sea days)

Mar 20 - Muscat, Oman

Mar 21- 26(6 sea days)

Mar 27 - Aqaba, Jordan

Mar 28 - Luxor, Egypt

Mar 29-30 - Suez Canal

Mar 31 - Alexandria, Egypt

Apr 1 - At Sea

Apr 2-3 Athens, Greece

Tentative schedule, but time will tell

• Like 6

I’ve been really enjoying following along Andy. Thank you for keeping us all accurately updated. How about a picture of that last Viking Daily? That sounds like one for the scrapbook! 

Following along wondering where each day will take you is quite exciting. This has become my favorite bedtime reading!

All shall be well.

All shall be well. 
All manner of things shall be well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

An itinerary has just been posted on the telly:

March 9th - Dep Bali

Mar 10 - 14 (5 sea days)

Mar 11-12  - Colombo

Mar 17-19 (3 sea days)

Mar 20 - Muscat, Oman

Mar 21- 26(6 sea days)

Mar 27 - Aqaba, Jordan

Mar 28 - Luxor, Egypt

Mar 29-30 - Suez Canal

Mar 31 - Alexandria, Egypt

Apr 1 - At Sea

Apr 2-3 Athens, Greece

Tentative schedule, but time will tell

Why only one day in Safaga (Luxor).  An overnight would allow you to have a decent visit to Luxor.

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Clay - at this time the final count is unknown, as pax are changing/making stay/go decisions almost hourly. My best guess is that we will have about 400 (+/= 50).

Regarding the Owner's Suite - up on Dk 7 and crossing the Indian Ocean, DW would not thank you for all that space. We are most happy with our DV 4 down on Dk 4 and m'ships. We don't buy into the hype of bigger cabins in the worst locations aboard the ship.

So about the same as we have aboard Sky -525. I figured it was going to be under a hundred.  Based on your description then, we too are on a private yacht!

Since the ships movement doesn’t bother me- well except for waking, I’d love to spend some time in the big room on Deck 7....but since I couldn’t even work an upgrade to a PV, I’m not holding my breath! LOL

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Walker56* said:

I am so happy to hear that everyone was able to disembark in Bali but so sorry to hear that some have already left home for Bali not realising they won’t be able to board the ship and experience the holiday they had planned.  We are due to join the ship in Mumbai and cruise to London. As the situation with the virus is worsening in Australia we have been concerned about travelling overseas and are not sure whether to cancel our trip or wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.   Cruise Critic have also reported on their site that Malta turned a MSC ship away a couple of days ago, so I am concerned ports in the Mediterranean will start to turn ships away.  From all the wonderful posts I feel like I have been cruising with you all over the past months counting down the days until it was our turn to board.  After today’s meeting with the GM it sounds like the ship is not stopping in India to pickup pax’s so the decision has been made for us about travelling.  I wish everyone onboard a safe and healthy journey to London and thank you so much for all the helpful feedback on the current cruising situation.  

HI Walker 56, we were to emabrk at Mumbai also but cancelled late last week due to give us time to negotiate with airlines and accom places to get refunds. I would be very interested to see what Viking are offering you re compensation, still awaiting a reply from them. cheers Philip & Loretta Sunshine Coast QLD my personal email is tenby50@bigpond.com

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - I'm thinking we may not have many options available and will only be able to go where ports are open. 

As Keith and I ate dinner by the fire pit in Indio, CA tonight, we agreed that we would love to be with you on the mystery tour to London..  Hope all of you aboard enjoy this next adventure as we did our time on the Viking Sun from  San Pedro to Sydney.  We were sad to leave our wonderful cruise and the people that we met. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Islandbc said:

As Keith and I ate dinner by the fire pit in Indio, CA tonight, we agreed that we would love to be with you on the mystery tour to London..  Hope all of you aboard enjoy this next adventure as we did our time on the Viking Sun from  San Pedro to Sydney.  We were sad to leave our wonderful cruise and the people that we met. 

Hi all, this just landed in my email which is sent by smartraveller.gov.au (our govt, not a newspaper), just trying to keep you in the loop..

Smartraveller logo. smartraveller.gov.au Be informed. Be prepared.

Travel advice update

Egypt 

The Egyptian Ministry of Health has confirmed a number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases. To prevent the spread of COVID-19 Egypt has suspended flights to and from Kuwait and Qatar, including chartered flights to and from Oman. Expect additional health screening at entry points and temporary quarantine at hotels or on cruise ships. Some countries have also put in place travel restrictions to and from Egypt. Contact your airline or tour operator for the latest update. If you have symptoms of respiratory illness, contact your doctor before travelling. 

cheers

Philip

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Why only one day in Safaga (Luxor).  An overnight would allow you to have a decent visit to Luxor.

When booking space this close you generally don't have many options. While Safaga may have had space, they might of had issues with booking the canal transit or Athens. Viking have been extremely generous with overnights in port.

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So about the same as we have aboard Sky -525. I figured it was going to be under a hundred.  Based on your description then, we too are on a private yacht!

Since the ships movement doesn’t bother me- well except for waking, I’d love to spend some time in the big room on Deck 7....but since I couldn’t even work an upgrade to a PV, I’m not holding my breath! LOL

Clay - I believe we are down to 370 pax, so we now have more crew than pax. Just finished the first night and OMG, the crew have somehow stepped it up a notch or two. Sadly we only have just less than 60 days to go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Hi Janet,

Rest assured, we greatly missed the many friends that we met aboard this great ship, that disembarked in Sydney. On departure Sydney, it was a different ship.

Currently trying to book a site for Feb/Mar next year, but Indian Waters is full. Trying Borrego Springs, which is about 60 miles south of Indio. Hopefully, we will see you in CA next year.

Viking Australia and elsewhere are still adamant that the Mumbai London leg has not been cancelled, and that we may be joining you somewhere- probably Athens judging from your revised itinerary. It would be very helpful if someone on the ship could post any evidence relevant to this. Also, what is your advice? Should we accept their offer? 

25 minutes ago, JoyNB said:

Viking Australia and elsewhere are still adamant that the Mumbai London leg has not been cancelled, and that we may be joining you somewhere- probably Athens judging from your revised itinerary. It would be very helpful if someone on the ship could post any evidence relevant to this. Also, what is your advice? Should we accept their offer? 

I'm sorry to butt in and hopefully someone on the ship will provide some further information . but in the interim I suggest you email 'Head Office' in the US to see if they can give you some certainty .. email

TellUs@vikingcruises.com

Of course the time difference in the US is against you right now - but you might be lucky and the office may still be open.

Edited by Cleopatra99
spelling
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Hi Janet,

Rest assured, we greatly missed the many friends that we met aboard this great ship, that disembarked in Sydney. On departure Sydney, it was a different ship.

Currently trying to book a site for Feb/Mar next year, but Indian Waters is full. Trying Borrego Springs, which is about 60 miles south of Indio. Hopefully, we will see you in CA next year.

Borrego Springs is lovely.  We spent a couple of nights there a few years ago.  It is far enough from any cities to see lots of bright stars at night.  Also perfect for enjoying citrus fruit.  You might want to make a Costco run to our area once in awhile!

4 hours ago, JoyNB said:

Hi Joynb, we were on the Mumbai to London segment also, may I ask what Viking offer was. cheers Philip QLD AUS

41 minutes ago, JoyNB said:

they haven’t cancelled yet, or made contact, so no offer to report. 

There is one offer for you to consider ... as per the advice in the Viking website -

So we have made an unprecedented change to our travel policy, giving you the freedom to change or postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours prior to departure – at no extra cost*.

If you book a new river, ocean or expedition cruise between now and 30 April 2020 you are free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours prior to departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You'll receive a Future Cruise Voucher for the full value of the amount paid which can be used toward any future river, ocean or expedition cruise with Viking and will be valid for 24 months from the date of issuance.

In addition, if you booked to travel on any upcoming 2020, 2021 or 2022 Viking cruise before 2 March; whether river, ocean or expedition you will also be free to postpone your cruise up to 24 hours before departure, without incurring cancellation fees. You too will receive a Future Cruise Voucher valid for 24 months.

Don't stop dreaming. Embrace your explorer's spirit, take advantage of the Explorer Sale and book your next cruise with confidence.

Thankyou for replying joynb and cleopatra99

yes, we got the same offer in that we could cancel but Viking having $25k of my money for potentially 2 years doesn’t sit well with me. It’s the other expenses also, airfares, accomm in Mumbai, London and Singapore not to mention visa expenses. Singapore air have been super and refunded our airfare in full. Cheers Philip

• Thanks 1