Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

CDC begs to differ. "In 2018, an estimated 405,000 people died of malaria" and they say the number is dropping.

I suppose it depends on which medical website ones info comes from.  As with all it is subject to the rules they apply.  Either way, my point is malaria kills far more than Covid 19 seems on track to do.  A mere 405,000 a year, every year and not one closure or postponement.  I wonder if anyone has ever been on a cruise ship with malaria?  Just curious.  Have never heard that.  

13 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I suppose it depends on which medical website ones info comes from.  As with all it is subject to the rules they apply.  Either way, my point is malaria kills far more than Covid 19 seems on track to do.  A mere 405,000 a year, every year and not one closure or postponement.  I wonder if anyone has ever been on a cruise ship with malaria?  Just curious.  Have never heard that.  

Malaria is not transmitted person to person.  Huge difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeRenardrouge said:

Malaria is not transmitted person to person.  Huge difference.

Technically true but when the pesky mosquito bites me then settles in on the back of your neck for another snack it seems a difference with not much distinction.  We have sailed to dozens of countries known to have active malaria and, so far, have avoided the "bad" mosquitos.  Not trying to run your point down just saying the world wide ugly panic is unprecedented in any of the many previous epidemics in history.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Technically true but when the pesky mosquito bites me then settles in on the back of your neck for another snack it seems a difference with not much distinction.  We have sailed to dozens of countries known to have active malaria and, so far, have avoided the "bad" mosquitos.  Not trying to run your point down just saying the world wide ugly panic is unprecedented in any of the many previous epidemics in history.  

I agree with you Jim.  There certainly are differences in transmissions, deaths, cases, statistics, etc.   .... but this world wide absolute panic is somewhat surprising to us.  I did read an article that said the major difference between this pandemic and the previous ones that occurred in the past years is that today there is social media everywhere and constant talking heads on 24 hour news channels.  (which certainly has helped fuel the panic!)

• Like 4

This new coronavirus is more contagious and more widespread than previous ones.  The "experts" say that we have about 2 weeks to "flatten the curve" (the spread of the virus) before it explodes, and we have such widespread infections that our health care systems will be overwhelmed due to the increased number of people who will require hospitalization. Hence the need for "social distancing", limiting the size of crowds, etc.  This is a serious public health crisis!!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

I agree with you Jim.  There certainly are differences in transmissions, deaths, cases, statistics, etc.   .... but this world wide absolute panic is somewhat surprising to us.  I did read an article that said the major difference between this pandemic and the previous ones that occurred in the past years is that today there is social media everywhere and constant talking heads on 24 hour news channels.  (which certainly has helped fuel the panic!)

Perhaps the world-wide “panic” is due in part to the fact that the WHO declared the outbreak a global pandemic.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

We are staying home and thinning out our wine collection.  Always glad to do our part.

As long as you cut back a bit that 10,000 bottle collection of yours might last as much as 1,000 days..🍷

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

As long as you cut back a bit that 10,000 bottle collection of yours might last as much as 1,000 days..🍷

I hope to meet both of you at some point in the future - and learn to improve my already very black sense of humour from the masters! 🍺🍺

• Like 2

NCI has cancelled all their sailing throughout their 28 ship fleet  which includes Regent and Oceania.

Starts March 13  to mid April.

Regents does have a WC  somewhere down under  going toward Perth.

Wonder if Viking Sun is still crossing the Indian Ocean at this time?

My question is where do you park 28 ships in the interim? 

Edited by Azulann

11 minutes ago, Azulann said:

NCI has cancelled all their sailing throughout their 28 ship fleet  which includes Regent and Oceania.

Starts March 13  to mid April.

Regents does have a WC  somewhere down under  going toward Perth.

Wonder if Viking Sun is still crossing the Indian Ocean at this time?

My question is where do you park 28 ships in the interim? 

That is an excellent question Azulann.  The cruise industry is going to be looking for lots of secure spots for ships.  Can't just park them just anywhere.  

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

That is an excellent question Azulann.  The cruise industry is going to be looking for lots of secure spots for ships.  Can't just park them just anywhere.  

Augusta National?  It's a very restrictive, secure golf club that won't be getting much use this Spring. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nashna said:

Heidi...Where are you and where are you going?  Has Viking cancelled your cruise?  

Negative, we are still steaming along on the Magical Mystery Cruise to Somewhere. We just don't know where somewhere is.

We dock in Colombo tomorrow for bunkers & victuals, but no shore leave for pax or crew. On departure Colombo, we have no idea where Somewhere will be.

However, we are in a virus free bubble and everyone is safe and enjoying this amazing ship & crew. This ship is probably the safest place on Earth at this time.😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Negative, we are still steaming along on the Magical Mystery Cruise to Somewhere. We just don't know where somewhere is.

We dock in Colombo tomorrow for bunkers & victuals, but no shore leave for pax or crew. On departure Colombo, we have no idea where Somewhere will be.

However, we are in a virus free bubble and everyone is safe and enjoying this amazing ship & crew. This ship is probably the safest place on Earth at this time.😊

Hi Andy & Judi,

Just wondering if our neighbours John & Carolyn and friends, Monroe and Deb are still aboard.

Had a major thunderstorm in Indio yesterday.