Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

18 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Our expectations are no ports for 50+ sea days, so if a miracle happens and we get ashore - bonus. Otherwise, we are thoroughly enjoying this marvelous ship and if we get ashore before May 2nd, it will be a bonus.

On board, we also have to queue, as we waited about 30 seconds at the wash basins in the World Cafe this morning. 😊 Another few seconds and this amazing crew would have been opening the bubbly. Life aboard is really tough 😁😁🍻

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

You have got it right, slow steaming saves tons of fuel and anchoring also saves port fees.

You also need to factor into the equation - maintenance. We see this on a daily basis aboard the Viking Sun. Viking are completing as much maintenance and deep cleaning as possible. This is an excellent opportunity to get non-drydock work completed, which will reduce future capital/operational costs. Empty cabins are being deep cleaned, painted and repairs completed. MDR decks are being refinished. This is just a few of the tasks being completed in our first few days.

With this many ships laid-up, the owners will be scrambling to try and find drydock space, if ships have an upcoming docking scheduled. If they get approval from Class and can find space, they will reschedule dry-dockings during this lay-up.

Unfortunately, other than Star, the Viking ships aren't due for their first dockings. 

I think I've lost count of the number of times over the past week or so that I said I would be perfectly happy on your WC right now (in the "bubble" away from the news and closures and panic at the grocery stores). Most people think I'm crazy, but they haven't experienced life on a Viking WC! Sounds like you're keeping a great attitude. 👍👍🍷

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bgtraveler2 said:

I think I've lost count of the number of times over the past week or so that I said I would be perfectly happy on your WC right now (in the "bubble" away from the news and closures and panic at the grocery stores). Most people think I'm crazy, but they haven't experienced life on a Viking WC! Sounds like you're keeping a great attitude. 👍👍🍷

On our previous WC with another cruise line, we visited almost all the ports on the schedule, but the ship was rubbish and the ship resembled a Greek tramp ship. With that cruise line, we were long term "Elite" passengers, but their customer service was wanting, both during and post cruise. We definitely thank them, as without their terrible customer service we would never have found Viking.😊😁😊🍻

With Viking, they make it right - every time ( in our experience). Note - so far, we only have 70 days with Viking, as opposed to > 300 with another cruise line, but Viking always go the extra mile to make this WC a memorable experience.

Yes, we missed many ports, which are now sea days, but this amazing crew is ensuring the glass is >1/2 full. Are we disappointed at missing the ports, most definitely yes. However, we had the opportunity to leave in Bali, so we will maintain a positive attitude all the way to London.

On board this great ship, we have a phenomenal group of pax and crew. Wishing those, that I haven't blocked,  could be with us, as for the next 50 days, as it is going to be an amazing party. 

Bgtraveler2 - Wish you were here, you would be most welcome on board this amazing ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

LOL.  Only you and a couple of others could say that.

In any case, what you said has helped me to understand what I was seeing on the map and how Orion could be shown as just off the coast of NZ when she was due to dock in Hobart in less than a day.

Peregrina651 - I most definitely respect your experience with Viking, so if you have any questions on ship positions, please feel free to email me. Address is on the blog, with reply coming from our personal address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy, this is one of the most popular RV parks here in Tucson: https://www.voyagerrv.com/

Not sure how they do seasonal folks, but a lot of my patients (I do mammograms) love it there and spend lots of winters there.

This is another one that folks love that is more centrally located: http://www.cal-am.com/resorts/far-horizons/

Not sure if you were just looking at Phoenix or all of AZ

Edited by stretchcruz

5 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Andy, this is one of the most popular RV parks here in Tucson: https://www.voyagerrv.com/

Not sure how they do seasonal folks, but a lot of my patients (I do mammograms) love it there and spend lots of winters there.

This is another one that folks love that is more centrally located: http://www.cal-am.com/resorts/far-horizons/

Not sure if you were just looking at Phoenix or all of AZ

Thanks for the info, we stayed in Mesa before.

We tried the mega parks in Mesa, but didn't enjoy the lack of grass and low humidity. Hence the reason we prefer Indio. Have checked Indio/Borrego Springs, but as expected they are full.

Looking for something close to Jim & Lois, so we can enjoy a few refreshments,

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Negative, we are still steaming along on the Magical Mystery Cruise to Somewhere. We just don't know where somewhere is.

We dock in Colombo tomorrow for bunkers & victuals, but no shore leave for pax or crew. On departure Colombo, we have no idea where Somewhere will be.

However, we are in a virus free bubble and everyone is safe and enjoying this amazing ship & crew. This ship is probably the safest place on Earth at this time.😊

You said elsewhere above that you don't anticipate any port stops at all.  Unfortunately that's the only way to stay inside your virus-free bubble.  Be well.  The remainder of Regent's WC has been cancelled as of when they reach Perth in a few days.

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

You said elsewhere above that you don't anticipate any port stops at all.  Unfortunately that's the only way to stay inside your virus-free bubble.  Be well.  The remainder of Regent's WC has been cancelled as of when they reach Perth in a few days.

Have also heard from a fellow Canadian on the HAL World Cruise. They are also being kicked off the ship in Freemantle, as the cruise is cancelled.

Yet again, thank goodness we selected Viking. We may have lots of sea days, but at present, we are still bound for London.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Peregrina651 - I most definitely respect your experience with Viking, so if you have any questions on ship positions, please feel free to email me. Address is on the blog, with reply coming from our personal address.

I think at this point you have me beat on Viking days --and if not, you certainly will by the time you get to London.

I'm just sorry that, after all the anticipation, that Viking was not able to deliver the experience that you -- and they -- had planned.

As for the ship position stuff, now that I understand that the tracking isn't necessarily accurate, I think I am good to go. I'm happy enough just having a basic idea of where the ship is headed and not so worried about the rest of the details.

Party on, folks! 

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for the info, we stayed in Mesa before.

We tried the mega parks in Mesa, but didn't enjoy the lack of grass and low humidity. Hence the reason we prefer Indio. Have checked Indio/Borrego Springs, but as expected they are full.

Looking for something close to Jim & Lois, so we can enjoy a few refreshments,

Sounds like a plan!!!

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How about the curb in front of their house?  I’m sure Jim has a hose and an extension cord he can hook you up with.  And there is storm drain right there for, errr, output.

I know you have seen how my Cousin Eddie does it....🍺

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

No, but when Jim got off it dropped significantly...

Haha, we made it much younger, not to mention prettier.  😱  We were speaking with a female bartender one evening and discussed the new Stallone movie on the ship's tv.  The sweet young bartenderess volunteered that "you look much fresher than Stallone"  Fresher.  I am hoping in the translation that is a good thing.....🍸