Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

21 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Jim, I understand your thoughts, but if everyone adopted the "live free or die" New Hampshire motto - which I can also understand - it will only serve to further the spread of what is not simply an epidemic, but a pandemic. I must admit to being sort of taken aback given your apparent implication that COVID-19 is merely just another 'one of those things' that defines our mortality in a given space and time. I believe an important thing you're ignoring here is that it's much bigger than just another means by which people might leave this earth. Comparing this to old age, heart disease, etc. falls far short of the mark relative to the large-scale ramifications. It is far more wide-reaching in that it is affecting at least the immediate future of - just to name a few  things - global commerce, business, education, economic stability, worldwide healthcare, and...yes...the travel industry - something near and dear to all of us here on CC especially. If we're not all willing to sacrifice some (or maybe even most) of our personal freedoms - that we all probably take for granted anyway - in the interest of maybe saving lives beyond that of our own, then it would seem that there is indeed an unfortunate self-serving motive at play. 

I admit to likely being a bit over-the-top in how I responded to Andy, since I suspect there was no harm or insult meant, but please understand that, here on land, we are living this right now - as you well know. So I guess it just hit me the wrong way reading such a 'life is great out here on the water' post and probably misconstrued. 

It's surely no secret to anyone here on CC that being on a cruise ship is a temporary and artificial environment compared to when the trip ends and we get back to "reality". THIS new reality - for however long it lasts - just seems to be getting more daunting in its scope and large-scale impact as each day progresses. If you don't wish to "give up everything enjoyable" and go about your usual way, that's totally your call, but I pray two things - 1) that you personally don't contract CV and, more importantly - 2) if you do and don't even realize it right away, that you don't wind up going around enjoying your usual freedoms while just possibly being a "super spreader" at worst, or just infecting others at the least. My prayers extend to all on the Sun, as well as those on any other ships that have not yet reached home, and I hope that all of you never have to worry about whether or not there is a health professional available, IF needed, to "save" you in the event that you become one of the close to 200k people who have CV. At such a point, you may well wish to be 'saved' more than you seem to be indicating. 

"Death is a part of living. No-one gets out alive". Yes...absolutely true. We all owe a death. There are no exceptions, but you might feel a bit differently if someone close to you winds up suffering from the symptoms of the virus - especially if it could be determined that he/she got it by someone that chose to not observe recommended self-quarantine and instead decided to 'not give up' the usual liberties of going out and about at will and thus infected someone dear to you. 

Stay healthy. No offense intended, really. Please accept that emotions are running, shall we say, a bit 'high' of late. I had to cancel my cruise that was to start this week. I've been looking forward to it for months - so, again, reading a 'having a great time on our cruise' -type post just didn't sit well. I don't begrudge the experience on the Sky, but perhaps a bit more humility would serve Andy better at times like this?  I have not been involved in any sort of previous epidemics, etc. so perhaps have a different take on all this than you do as well.  

Well said.  The “live free or die” mindset just doesn’t work when a global pandemic strikes the global village.

Washington state, where I live, is ground zero for the outbreak in the U.S.  More than half the deaths from COVID have occurred in my state alone.  Fortunately, the Washington governor, Jay Inslee, has taken the outbreak very, very seriously.  Just yesterday, Gov. Inslee ordered all restaurants, bars, entertainment, and recreational facilities to close temporarily. 

Also yesterday, I returned from Buenos Aires after a great cruise on the Viking Jupiter.  I made it out just in time.  (The Argentine government closed the BA airport to international flights a few hours later.)  While it was tough to go from the Jupiter’s “comfort bubble” to the ground-zero situation here in Washington, I’m glad I’m home and glad my state government is taking substantial efforts to combat the virus.  I’d rather be here than anywhere else, including on a cruise ship.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Well said.  The “live free or die” mindset just doesn’t work when a global pandemic strikes the global village.

Washington state, where I live, is ground zero for the outbreak in the U.S.  More than half the deaths from COVID have occurred in my state alone.  Fortunately, the Washington governor, Jay Inslee, has taken the outbreak very, very seriously.  Just yesterday, Gov. Inslee ordered all restaurants, bars, entertainment, and recreational facilities to close temporarily. 

Also yesterday, I returned from Buenos Aires after a great cruise on the Viking Jupiter.  I made it out just in time.  (The Argentine government closed the BA airport to international flights a few hours later.)  While it was tough to go from the Jupiter’s “comfort bubble” to the ground-zero situation here in Washington, I’m glad I’m home and glad my state government is taking substantial efforts to combat the virus.  I’d rather be here than anywhere else, including on a cruise ship.

Dave - I'm so glad that you made it home safely!  We were on Jupiter in SA last Dec/Jan.  Were fortunate.  Am glad you had the chance to experience the Falklands as well!   We lived in Seattle many many years and still have numerous friends there, so know the situation well.  Please stay safe, calm, and self-quarantined.  HOpefully by 2021 this too will pass....

2 hours ago, aungrl said:

Andy, how was the day today?  Looking forward to reading your next blog update, as well as anything you might post here, too.

Yes indeed - let us live vicariously with the people who are just lucky to have been at the right place (ship) at the right time and are able to enjoy things.  The good news is, I'll bet you all now REALLY appreciate every meal, every aspect of the daily like onboard ship.  Probably no complainers or whiners anymore, that's for sure.  You'll all have a very special bond that will live for years.  I am thankful for you all and wish you well.

But let us know how things are going!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Dave, I'm sorry that things are so bad in Washington. I've been keeping close tabs on the US map of CV cases - with a focus on PA, my home state. Glad you made it back before the airport was closed! Same closures have been announced here - pretty much the same thing you described. I assume your schools are closed as well. Please take care and be safe. 

Hmmm, this makes you wonder why we don’t just quarantine nursing homes, and voluntarily self-quarantine other seniors at home, and let everyone else get on with life:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/coronavirus-united-states-deaths/index.html

(Maybe the AARP has more clout than we realize...)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

39 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Hmmm, this makes you wonder why we don’t just quarantine nursing homes, and voluntarily self-quarantine other seniors at home, and let everyone else get on with life:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/coronavirus-united-states-deaths/index.html

(Maybe the AARP has more clout than we realize...)

You’d have to quarantine everyone over 45, which is the youngest person who has died, many in their 50s as well.

Time to get this thread back on track and discussing the WC.

We have had Noon updates these past 2-days and this is the current plan:

• The ship is bound for Tilbury, London with only 2 stops
  • Currently bound for Muscat for a technical stop
  • Transit through pirate alley at full speed
  • Transit through Suez Canal
  • Arr Gibraltar April 5th to disembark those scheduled for Mumbai (Apr 3rd)
  • Arr Tilbury (London) Apr 10th, at which point the WC will end

This is the plan today, but with changing circumstances it will no doubt be updated a few times.

At present we have very poor internet until Apr 20th, so will receive minimal info from the ship. I am unable to access my blog to create new posts due to lack of speed and bandwidth.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

This is the plan today, but with changing circumstances it will no doubt be updated a few times.

At present we have very poor internet until Apr 20th, so will receive minimal info from the ship. I am unable to access my blog to create new posts due to lack of speed and bandwidth.

Ah, that solves my query about how on earth the Sun was going to be allowed to dock in Greenwich.  Disembarking out at Tilbury will be much safer for you all, and logistically easier for Viking too.  We disembarked last year's WC at Greenwich, which involves tenders.

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Andy.  I guess you have been through the Suez before.  I found it really interesting.  Job security there would be owning a dredge.  😎  Will in transit passengers be allowed ashore in Gibraltar?  Nice to hear from what is going on in one of the last ships operating with passengers.  Nice to hear of good things in this environment of serious issues and restrictions.  Yall please give us vicarious cruisers a bit of fun from time to time.  Best wishes for safe travels.

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Ol’ Ragnar signing off.  Will get back to CC once a vaccine is available.

I am only staying on now because Ho Hum is back in business. Much needed therapy at this time.  Wishing you, your wife, and your pony, much health and happiness.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks.  Glad to hear about the actual cruise.  If you can't do your blog, do tell whats happening here.  Especially interested in hearing about transiting through pirate alley.  I recall a previous WC had razor wire along lower decks and armed guards patrolling on board.

Enjoy your Magical Mystery cruise as much as you can.  When they can beam you back to land, where ever that will be, you will feel like you entered the Twilight Zone.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Borderlander123 said:

Ah, that solves my query about how on earth the Sun was going to be allowed to dock in Greenwich.  Disembarking out at Tilbury will be much safer for you all, and logistically easier for Viking too.  We disembarked last year's WC at Greenwich, which involves tenders.

I agree - Tilbury so much further from the hotspot of London (though who knows, in three weeks time things could be equally bad everywhere in the UK).  We are already self-isolating even though we live in a quiet seaside town.  Stay safe everyone.

5 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thanks.  Glad to hear about the actual cruise.  If you can't do your blog, do tell whats happening here.  Especially interested in hearing about transiting through pirate alley.  I recall a previous WC had razor wire along lower decks and armed guards patrolling on board.

Enjoy your Magical Mystery cruise as much as you can.  When they can beam you back to land, where ever that will be, you will feel like you entered the Twilight Zone.

Unfortunately security provisions and the ship's position/speed are subjects I don't discuss while the vessel transits high risk areas. 

Based on the Captain's briefing, the high risk zone has been reduced and while in this zone we will be steaming at full speed and the ship will schedule additional deck patrols and Bridge lookouts. The Ship Security Plan also has additional measures, which he is implementing and as a Mariner, I am very comfortable the plan addresses the safety of the crew and pax well.

4 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

I agree - Tilbury so much further from the hotspot of London (though who knows, in three weeks time things could be equally bad everywhere in the UK).  We are already self-isolating even though we live in a quiet seaside town.  Stay safe everyone.

The other benefit, being only a few miles to the M25, it is easier to get to LHR from Tilbury, provided that traffic is actually moving.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, Jim Avery said:

Too bad very few read paper news these days.  Guess we will have to use the ever present Chicos catalogs.....😱

I have waaaay more Viking catalogs than Chicos!  But thankfully after making it to Raleigh last evening, we made it to Costco et voila!

5E7BD5E5-A847-460C-9714-9BFB8C347C6B.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I have waaaay more Viking catalogs than Chicos!  But thankfully after making it to Raleigh last evening, we made it to Costco et voila!

5E7BD5E5-A847-460C-9714-9BFB8C347C6B.jpeg

We were told to self isolate for two weeks when we got to Toronto.  Our son and granddaughter stocked us up with food, and we had lots of tp still at home.  Because we are both over 75 we are being very careful.  The people in our small town are being wonderful.  The town is basically shut down except for gas stations, supermarkets, and the restaurants that are doing takeout.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately security provisions and the ship's position/speed are subjects I don't discuss while the vessel transits high risk areas. 

Based on the Captain's briefing, the high risk zone has been reduced and while in this zone we will be steaming at full speed and the ship will schedule additional deck patrols and Bridge lookouts. The Ship Security Plan also has additional measures, which he is implementing and as a Mariner, I am very comfortable the plan addresses the safety of the crew and pax well.

Makes sense.  Perhaps after you get safely through and well beyond you can share the measures taken.  We have friends who have been sailing around the world on a 44 foot boat.  They got as far as Malaysia and have stayed there 5 years because they don't want to go through pirate alley or around the Cape of Good Hope.  They used to travel in groups of buddy boats for safety reasons but wont do so now because the groups will not agree to turn off their AIS.  They say pirates and thieves in some areas follow cruising sailboats with AIS and have been boarded.    

Andy, I suspect the steps being taken are the same or similar to the 2018 Inaugural WC.  I have pictures but, will not post them for the reasons you say.  Let me say I am totally comfortable in how Viking handled passage of that area.  As it turned out we saw no vessels of any type.  Not to say they did not have some on radar and maneuvered accordingly.  Full faith in Viking's onboard staff.

5E7BD5E5-A847-460C-9714-9BFB8C347C6B.thumb.jpeg.b0f3f5b0feb7385e44fb4e2c84c391d7.jpeg

Glad you made it home, and I am beyond jealous of your TP haul. Good thing I don’t have your address!
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Makes sense.  Perhaps after you get safely through and well beyond you can share the measures taken.  We have friends who have been sailing around the world on a 44 foot boat.  They got as far as Malaysia and have stayed there 5 years because they don't want to go through pirate alley or around the Cape of Good Hope.  They used to travel in groups of buddy boats for safety reasons but wont do so now because the groups will not agree to turn off their AIS.  They say pirates and thieves in some areas follow cruising sailboats with AIS and have been boarded.    

Unfortunately negative, I prefer not to discuss routes and security provisions on an open forum even after we have cleared the area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy, I suspect the steps being taken are the same or similar to the 2018 Inaugural WC.  I have pictures but, will not post them for the reasons you say.  Let me say I am totally comfortable in how Viking handled passage of that area.  As it turned out we saw no vessels of any type.  Not to say they did not have some on radar and maneuvered accordingly.  Full faith in Viking's onboard staff.

Jim - what I have seen so far and based on the Captain's briefing of resources available to him, it is exactly the same as you experienced last year. So I concur, I am totally comfortable with the content of Viking's ISPS manual.