Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

11 hours ago, Floridiana said:

I am amazed that your ship is going to Indonesia. Other world cruise ships skip South East Asia completely. I don't know whether it is out of an abundance of caution. Anyway, I like your new itinerary. 

Viking have done an exceptional job on this cruise. We missed a few ports, but we have also gained a few new ports. Personally, based on what's happening ashore, I am happy to cruise around the ocean until we dock in London May 2nd. Sea days on Viking Sun, with the amazing crew are spectacular.

In Komodo, we had to wear masks and have our temperatures taken by local authorities. When he took mine it showed 32.4 C, others had temps <30 C. What a joke, have to wonder when the equipment was last calibrated.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking have done an exceptional job on this cruise. We missed a few ports, but we have also gained a few new ports. Personally, based on what's happening ashore, I am happy to cruise around the ocean until we dock in London May 2nd. Sea days on Viking Sun, with the amazing crew are spectacular.

In Komodo, we had to wear masks and have our temperatures taken by local authorities. When he took mine it showed 32.4 C, others had temps <30 C. What a joke, have to wonder when the equipment was last calibrated.

We all knew Andy is cool.....😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, SrCruizer said:

Interesting about masks since medical professionals have been advising against them. Say they do more harm than good. Moist environment becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

I agree.  The way they are saying you need to wear masks, no more than 6 hours, N95 or better, means each household would need hundreds in stock.  Not possible at this time.  And masks on Komodo would feel a bit strange.  We loved visiting Komodo but instead of worrying about catching a disease, we were worried about losing a leg......😱

• Like 1

(Sorry for the slight off topic) I don't know how common Komodo dragons are in captivity, but we have some (behind glass) at a small reptile zoo in Williamsport, PA for any who would like to see more of them without such a long trip 🙂 

Back on topic - hopefully everyone on board has warmed up some 😉 I'm glad to read Viking is treating everyone well and you are enjoying the cruise.

• Like 1

Yes, Viking provided a mask as required by Indonesian authorities.  The protocol was:  go to the Star Theater where your temperature was taken in tour group order, have it recorded by room number, then get a mask.  It wasn't entirely efficient but got us all to Komodo Island to see the dragons.  The heat and humidity were beyond belief and the snow room had a waiting line upon our return, as did the bars offering frozen drinks.  

7 hours ago, SrCruizer said:

Interesting about masks since medical professionals have been advising against them. Say they do more harm than good. Moist environment becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

Its to protect the island residents from germy passengers.  And to muffle the screams of the slow-pokes taken away by the dragons....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Its to protect the island residents from germy passengers.  And to muffle the screams of the slow-pokes taken away by the dragons....

Just so good … I want to add myself to your dog as a subject 😈  🍺🍺

For any who had not seen this as of yet - another example of Viking class - they are waiving the normal cancellation periods for bookings made prior to April 30, 2020 - one can cancel with 24 hours notice. All due to respect for concerns over the virus.

Remarkable - we are booked for July 2020 and April 2021, and truly hope to do both trips, but overwhelmed by such an offer.

We have over 300 sea days with HAL, and a booking for October 2020 - no word at all from them, or anything like this. Makes us so happy we found Viking!

" In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition). This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020. "

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes.  We too have several trips booked.  From Alaska in August, to Greece innFeb. 2021 to,Galapagos  August 2021.  Vi,I guess has offered us this for each trip.  Such a win win for all!!

We have 3 VO’s booked between May2020 & May 2021, and received these notifications as well. 
We plan on doing all three. 
Just one more reason why we ❤️VIKING-😌

On board we are hearing that Segment 3 has experienced a number of cancellations, plus with Ultimates & World Wonders going home, we expect to have only 600 pax.

This ship is so not busy with 900, it will be really quiet with only 600.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

On board we are hearing that Segment 3 has experienced a number of cancellations, plus with Ultimates & World Wonders going home, we expect to have only 600 pax.

Please remind us ... segment 3 is from where to where ?

Enjoying the Blog, thanks Andy

40 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Probably a good thing as we have been told by staff that they are way understaffed now due to those who were denied boarding in Sydney and other recent ports because of where they were coming from or where they had recently traveled to. We feel the service in general has been excellent however.

• Like 1

"Jelamu said the administration deployed to the town Sunday a medical team and a quarantine team to screen 930 passengers and 465 crew members of the MV Viking Sun cruise ship, which sailed from Darwin, Australia, and arrived in Labuan Bajo on Monday.

"Based on the report of the cruise ship's captain as stated in its Maritime Declaration of Health, all people aboard the ship have been declared healthy," Jelamu said, adding that the authorities would nevertheless examine all passengers and crew and have them undergo a thermal screening before allowing them entry into Komodo National Park."

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/03/labuan-bajo-ramps-up-screening-of-tourists-after-indonesia-confirms-covid-19-cases.html

Indonesia has 2 Covid19 cases according to this newspaper.

Well it looks like the Maldives may be cut as a destination.  We received an email from a tour operator we booked a couple of dive trips cancelling our booking as the government has decided not to let any cruise ship come into the Islands.

Called Viking but haven't heard anything official yet...will post if we hear anything.

Edited by shadowfox7

This was posted by a mate of mine on F...book last night;

in the middle of the Indian Ocean with 5 days sailing to Sri Lanka then India and Dubai with 2 weeks left of our cruise. Captain has just announced that Sri Lanka is refusing entry to all crew and passengers from all ships. We can refuel and restock (essentials like food and drink) but we will miss our 2 day Sri Lanka adventure. Bit nervous now as this is the second port refusal so far and a lot can happen in the next 2 weeks. Wish us well but having a great cruise on Azamara as usual.

Sounds ominous.

Best wishes to all on board.

We just heard the dreaded "Bing Bong" during dinner, which is generally never good news. The Indonesian authorities are now requiring a thermal check of all crew and pax before permitting the ship to dock alongside in Java tomorrow morning. This will delay our arrival and the Borobudur Temple Tour is tentatively cancelled.

However, as usual Viking is well ahead of the game and Shore-ex Manager is working on a number of options, which includes trying to maintain the Borobudur tour, if departure can be delayed. He has also ordered additional buses for the included tour, so at a minimum, all of us on the cancelled tour can get an included tour.

In anticipation of a flood of inquiries, the GM, Shore-ex Mgr, the entire Shore-ex staff are at Guest Services supplementing the usual crewing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

This was posted by a mate of mine on F...book last night;

in the middle of the Indian Ocean with 5 days sailing to Sri Lanka then India and Dubai with 2 weeks left of our cruise. Captain has just announced that Sri Lanka is refusing entry to all crew and passengers from all ships. We can refuel and restock (essentials like food and drink) but we will miss our 2 day Sri Lanka adventure. Bit nervous now as this is the second port refusal so far and a lot can happen in the next 2 weeks. Wish us well but having a great cruise on Azamara as usual.

Sounds ominous.

Best wishes to all on board.

We are aware of both the Maldives and Colombo incidents on board. I am sure Viking are also monitoring and have no doubt that if itinerary has to change again, we will receive a timely communication from the Captain, once finalised.

Until then we continue on this magnificent ship on the splendid Magical Mystery Tour, with tomorrow's port being ......? 😊

If no ports will accept us, spending 59 days at sea until London on May 2nd, really isn't a hardship. Sea days on this ship, with the exceptional crew wouldn't be a challenge. Although getting fuel and victuals might be a small issue. 😁😁🍻 

• Like 2